Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default The Tour Feedback thread

Don't think there is a thread like this on here right now, so i figured I'd give it a go. Essentially this is where you can give your feedback/grievances/ideas regarding the show. This can be related to production/on stage antics/NOT setlist related stuff.

The main thing I'd like to see them do is flash the GIANT Van Halen logo on the Jumbotron at the beginning of HAIL, just like they did with the giant Van Halen logo sign on the Fair Warning tour. I think it would be a nice effect and a throwback to the oakland videos and the FW tour that the diehards would just go crazy for.

I do like that they are updating the photos of the band that they are displaying as well. I saw some videos from the Mohegan Sun gig and it looked like they were showing some pics from the NYC or Forum gigs (not sure, just went by the red pants/black v-neck think Ed was wearing)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I'll give some feedback on various aspects, aside from the setlist.

* Stage: I like the minimalist set-up -- and I love the screens!! Whomever's operating the screens: I'd like it if you went a bit lighter on the promo photos during the most dramatic parts of VH's songs, e.g. the solos. Close-ups = appreciated.

** Dance-floor: great idea!! I was skeptical about it at first, but it's proven to be a variable that makes the shows unpredictable and more fun.

* Beginning of set: The beginning of the show is understated for "The Mighty Van Halen." I would love to hear the band introduced, and then witness a dramatic reveal as "Unchained" starts, a la those great shows before I was a twinkling in my parents' eyes (which I've seen on YouTube.)

* End of set: Perfect.

* Band members, overall: the last two gigs (MSG on 3.1 and Connecticut on 3.3 have been the best gigs of this tour, so far. The outings in Michigan/Chicago pale, unfortunately -- at least in terms of what's on YouTube... But that's understandable... Now Van Halen's on a roll!!

* Dave: EXCELLENT job during these past few outings, (especially at MSG on 3/1 and Mohegan Sun on 3/3.) You have stepped it up two or three notches both in terms of vocals, and in terms of stage physicality (e.g. flying kicks, martial arts, etc.) Continue to perform this well, and this tour could last well into next year. I was overjoyed to hear the return of the train-whistle scream (Southern Connecticut.)

* Ed: You're on fire. I saw you on the "Balance" tour when I was 10 or so, and you're playing now is more inspired than I remember it as a 10 year-old. My girlfriend's telling me to tell you to ditch the sweatpants (?) and wear something sexy; however, personally, I don't care what you wear. Excellent energy and physicality onstage. Great attitude comes through!

* Wolfgang: As a bass player, I really enjoy the new sensibility that you're bringing to the band. Your bass playing reminds me of Mike Dirnt's (Green Day,) albeit a bit more restrained -- which kicks some of these songs up a notch in a live setting. Stage presence and back-up vocals have turned into strengths.

* Alex: I'm glad that you're out of the brace. Pulling off Girl Gone Bad on a consistent basis You've proven to be one of rock's greatest drummers -- and you continue to prove it.

* Venues: There are some relatively large, wealthy metros that VH did not book shows for on this tour, (at least on this leg of the tour.) I wish that Van Halen scheduled a date in Hartford, CT-Springfield, MA metro, (1.9 million person metro,) or NY's Capital district metro (1.5 million person metro) -- but hopefully, this tour will swing back around and hit some of these densely populated places.
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 03.04.12 at 10:39 PM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some of THE classic early VH banter would be great.

"Ladies and Gentlemen my name is David Lee Roth. I'm your host for this evening!"

Or the classic intro "Ladies and gentlemen here for your listening pleasure.....VAN HALEN!!!!!

And finally out of the pitch blackness... "I hear Drums"......."I hear Guitar"!!!!
    Van Halen is a cross between religion and ice-hockey

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Tour Feedback:

Dear Van Halen,

Unless you plan on actually announcing dates in other countries, you know, across the oceans.... please refrain from calling this a "World Tour". Right now, it clearly isn't.

Apart from that, everything else has been superb. Well done guys.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

Eddie is the King of 10 Fingers and 6 Strings.

Dave is the greatest frontman.

Alex continues to be one of the best on drums.

Wolfie shows that he belongs in music.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

whoever came up with the idea of having a lighting rig blocking the majority of the big screen for most of the show needs to get a raise
    Eat Us and Smile!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

The main constructive criticism I have is about the use of the giant screen.

I love the stage setup and think a huge screen like that offers so many incredible options which are not utilized.

All they really show on it are...live band footage..pictures of the band...pictures of the merch art...cd insert lyrics image...Dave's dogs. Did I miss anything?

I have no problems with that but how about some other stuff. With a screen that size and technology how it is so much is possible...even the default trippy graphics of windows media player has wild shit that would look cool on a screen that size as a backdrop behind the band...imagine all that could be done with a few talented artists on the case who really put some effort into it. Maybe they don't want to worry about spending money on getting too deep with it all?

How about giant old school =VH= logo pulsating like in days of old...and variations to that...a Giant VH logo on fire and shit..lol flames filling the screen etc. The logo twisting and turning quicker and figuratively smashing out of the screen then replaced with live footage etc.

How about the ADKOT train image totally animated barreling along with a trail of smoke pipping out of as it rolls recklessly down the tracks during a part of China town or something.

If you are going to show the merch shirt art why not put them on steroids..

Like if you show the image of the vintage pinup chic why not have her animated and then straddling the cycle and ridding off as the images move on to whatever else next..

Use your imagination so much could be possible to add to the coolness and atmosphere with a screen like that....not SO much that it distracts from the show but I think it's underutilized.

I'm ok with Jump being part of the encore but I don't like it as the final tune as much as the idea of ending on something heavier..

After Jump....a few minute of darkness...then a slowly pulsating huge VH logo on screen...dim barely recognizable at first...then brighter and brighter...spotlights search the crowd furiously in the darkness...Al's gong burst into flames..old school style.. and the band explodes into ATBL...or AP..or I'm the one..etc. to end the motherfker! lol

Stuff like that would just kick it up a tad for me...not that they need too..my ass was thoroughly kicked and I loved every aspect of it. Just saying.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 03.06.12 at 10:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    The main constructive criticism I have is about the use of the giant screen.

I love the stage setup and think a huge screen like that offers so many incredible options which are not utilized.

All they really show on it are...live band footage..pictures of the band...pictures of the merch art...cd insert lyrics image...Dave's dogs. Did I miss anything?

I have no problems with that but how about some other stuff. With a screen that size and technology how it is so much is possible...even the default trippy graphics of windows media player has wild shit that would look cool on a screen that size as a backdrop behind the band...imagine all that could be done with a few talented artists on the case who really put some effort into it. Maybe they don't want to worry about spending money on getting too deep with it all?

How about giant old school =VH= logo pulsating like in days of old...and variations to that...a Giant VH logo on fire and shit..lol flames filling the screen etc. The logo twisting and turning quicker and figuratively smashing out of the screen then replaced with live footage etc.

How about the ADKOT train image totally animated barreling along with a trail of smoke pipping out of as it rolls recklessly down the tracks during a part of China town or something.

If you are going to show the merch shirt art why not put them on steroids..

Like if you show the image of the vintage pinup chic why not have her animated and then straddling the cycle and ridding off as the images move on to whatever else next..

Use your imagination so much could be possible to add to the coolness and atmosphere with a screen like that....not SO much that it distracts from the show but I think it's underutilized.

I'm ok with Jump being part of the encore but I don't like it as the final tune as much as the idea of ending on something heavier..

After Jump....a few minute of darkness...then a slowly pulsating huge VH logo on screen...dim barely recognizable at first...then brighter and brighter...spotlights search the crowd furiously in the darkness...Al's gong burst into flames..old school style.. and the band explodes into ATBL...or AP..or I'm the one..etc. to end the motherfker! lol

Stuff like that would just kick it up a tad for me...not that they need too..my ass was thoroughly kicked and I loved every aspect of it. Just saying.

Hey Wolf!!!!! Please print this post off and show it to your dad and Dave. Any one of us would do it for free. You know how easy it would be to accomplish.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Has there been much feedback at the shows?

From the YT vids I've watched the sound appears to be top notch.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 298 Times in 143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    whoever came up with the idea of having a lighting rig blocking the majority of the big screen for most of the show needs to get a raise
    That's a good one...we were sitting on the side in the 300s at MSG and had an okay view but the lights were invariably blocking any close up shots of their faces.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thought that removing the headset mic was going to help Dave's vocals.

And you can crucify me if you guys want to, but even my ears went up when I heard the backing vocals in this tune. Something sounds processed and not completely live to me.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Thought that removing the headset mic was going to help Dave's vocals.

And you can crucify me if you guys want to, but even my ears went up when I heard the backing vocals in this tune. Something sounds processed and not completely live to me.

Dave sounds pretty croaky there. The only thing I hear is Wolf's harmony too loud and Ed's too quiet. Whatever device is recording it, obviously can't handle the noise level. I don't hear anything at all that's not live.

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

Better footage of Tattoo from Phili. You have to watch it on YouTube.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post

It sounds better/different. Live is gonna have to be the judge for me.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post

Oh yeah.

The handheld mic is REALLY helping Dave's voice.