A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Default The Godfather of Soul -James Brown

Sizzlin' and cracklin' an' cracklin', poppin', hoppin' and nonstoppin' all the ways to the toppin' nah nah yez yezz ooh well well...OWWW!!
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Nice!

The UK magazine MOJO just came out with a 60's special. There's a great article about JB and the band doing a USO tour of Viet Nam during the war. Excellent article.

Favorite JB cuts:
    Super Bad
    Sex Machine
    Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
    I Got You (I Feel Good)
    I Got The Feelin'

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Working link

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

best duet ever

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

brilliant

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

definitely The Big Payback - my favorite song to dance to!
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Hmm...You could certainly have some fun funking out to that, couldn't you!? "Make it funky" - hell, yeah..!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

a great boot to pick up if you come across it is the DVD of that performance he gave from the Apollo right after the Martin Luther King assasination Theater.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

VH connection: proposed 1986 opening slot of 5150 tour when James Brown just got out of jail. It failed coz JB asked for too much $ compared to what VH was prepared to give.
    Sammy had been a singer in a JB tribute band when he was starting out and has always been a huge JB fan.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 11,726 Times in 6,497 Posts

Premium Member

Default Get On Up -official trailer (James Brown Biography)

'You want to go down in history as the man that killed the funk?'

About damn time!

Mick Jagger talks about producing Get On Up

Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.14.14 at 07:10 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 11,726 Times in 6,497 Posts

Premium Member

Default GET ON UP' REVIEW: BRILLIANT BIOPIC ANCHORED BY DAZZLING LEAD PERFORMANCE

To begin with, there is no question Chadwick Boseman has earned himself a Best Actor nomination. Like Brett Ratner's "Hercules," the "Get On Up" trailers are deceptive. This is no feel-good musical biopic from Tate Taylor, the director of "The Help." This is a sprawling and serious movie about James Brown; a fiercely independent, difficult, complicated, driven, obstinate, egotistical, selfish, brave, trailblazing, patriotic and charismatic musical genius … and in a dazzling career-defining performance, Boseman captures every bit of him.  

But so too does Tate, who thankfully breaks the musical biopic mold  of "Walk the Line" (2005)  and "Ray" (2004), two fine films that watered their subjects (Johnny Cash and Ray Charles) down to drug addicts in melodramatic relationships. Tate could have easily done the same. James Brown's troubles included prison stints, IRS troubles, drug addiction (late in life), the death of a child, and three battered wives. This is the easy stuff of three-act structures intercut with musical interludes.

Instead, and to their great credit, Tate and his screenwriters (Jez Butterworth and brother John-Henry) take a real chance with a narrative structure that, for all 140 minutes, moves through different parts of Brown's dramatic life. Rather than lean on the over-arching cliché of a rise and fall story, Tate constructs a handful of subplots interspersed with character moments and incredibly dynamic musical sequences that -- thanks to Boseman -- do the impossible: capture the blazing energy that in tidal waves rolled off of Soul Brother Number One, The Sex Machine, Mr. Dynamite, The Hardest Working Man in Show Business, The King of Funk, Minister of The New New Super Heavy Funk, Mr. Please Please Please Please Her, The Boss and The Godfather of Soul.

Too many biopics attempt to define their subject using a narrow chunk of life -- an understandable surrender to the demands of a tight narrative. Tate, though, swings for the fences, throws off those chains, and captures James Brown…The Man. Nothing's hidden or papered over. The warts are there. But so is the genius and a South Carolina childhood that is the stuff of horror shows.

Tate also avoids the now-tired clichés of portraying a segregated America. There isn't a single tropey scene of Brown and his first band, The Famous Flames, being turned away by a hotel, sitting in the back of a bus, or being removed from a lunch counter. The ugliness of racism isn't ignored, it's just handled with intelligence and originality.

Although Tate avoids Brown's politics (The King of Funk was a patriotic Reagan Republican who supported the Vietnam War), the essence of Brown's social and racial beliefs do get a fair hearing. Brown believed in black self-reliance (not the government), loved his country, and for a time caught hell from the black community for not being "black enough." One memorable scene set the day after Martin Luther King's assassination shows Brown giving the white police and his black audience equal amounts of hell for uncivil behavior.

Tate's Brown is himself was conflicted by his own understandable wariness of the "white devil" (the way the music  business abused black performers during the early days of R&B and rock 'n' roll is legendary) and his love for Ben Bart (Dan Akroyd), a white Jewish man and surrogate father.

I especially loved how "Get On Up" didn't leave us with an artificial happily ever after. Life doesn’t work that way for real people. Even though it should be, life isn’t the movies. There's never a moment where, as of right now, everything is going to be okay. Until your last breath, new bullshit is always warming up in the bullpen. When we leave Tate's James Brown he's still James Brown. Sure, he's reconciled some things, but this is not a man who can or even wants to live easy. "Get On Up" doesn't pretend otherwise.

If that isn't enough to convince you to get to the movies, "Get On Up" has four of the best scenes I've seen all year. Brown's life-changing heart-to-heart with his idol Little Richard (Brandon Mychal Smith); a rehearsal where Brown explains to his band why every instrument is a drum; a hilarious scene involving Christmas sweaters; and the show-stopper -- a Paris concert that you never want to end.

Tate has crafted an exhilarating and highly original portrait of a genius who couldn’t be anything other than his own man. When the credits roll, you probably won't like James Brown,  but you will respect him.

Follow  John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC              
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 08.01.14 at 06:00 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen