Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Entertainment Weekly - May 31, 2002

“Runnin’ With The Devils: Hell has frozen over. Ex-Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar join forces (without Eddie!)”

Nuttier than Letterman and Leno hosting a telethon together, more dangerous than Ellen attending Anne’s baby shower, David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar -– those rival former singers of Van Halen –- are coheadlining a 20-city tour (each with his own sans-Eddie band) starting May 29 in Ohio. “There’s a little bit of unease about this, like a NASCAR race,” notes Roth, 46. “Are you here to see the winner or the crash?” Or as Hagar, 54, puts it: “It’s not Billy and Elton –- it’s Tyson and Lewis.” In that spirit, we challenged both to a few raucous rounds of Q&A. – Dan Snierson

ROTH

EW: On a scale of 1 to 11, how hard are you partying right now?
    DLR: Let me look around…6? We go a gin and tonic going. And we got a little sex and violence on the television. That qualifies.

EW: You once said that you want to: “make music and sing and dance…make ya smile, make ya cry –- and charge ya $8.50.” So why do seats on this tour cost as much as $65?
    DLR: You’re saying I’m not worth it, homeboy? What you have here is an entire retrospective of a piece of Americana. I’ve got more hits than Beethoven. You know da-da-da-da [Beethoven’s Fifth]. While you’re struggling to hum the next one, I’m going to recite the index to your life: “Hot for Teacher”...”California Girls”...“Jump” ...

EW: Looking back, do you regret the buttless pants?
    DLR: It’s more au courant than ever. I still have them. Don’t you antagonize me -– I might just show up at your office wearin’ ‘em.

EW: Just between us, whaddaya think the teacher’s gonna look like this year?
    DLR: She’s gonna be a Korean grad student with dreadlocks, neoprimitive tattoos, and a tongue bolt. She does Tae-Bo three nights a week, speaks four languages, digs Timo Maas and Supa DJ Dmitry mixes but secretly knows every lyric to Big Daddy Diamond Dave’s litany. She even knows what a litany is.

EW: Which is the more poignant Van Halen lyric: Sammy’s “Only time will tell if we stand the test of time,” or your “Got an on-ramp comin’ through my bedroom”?
    DLR: Well, obviously what I speak ain’t poetry. And if you thoroughly understand that, then you see the poetry in it. Sam seems to have repeated himself within the space of 18 syllables. I will forever be cursed as an artist, but he could become a congressman.

EW: Is one ever too old to ride around the stage on a giant inflatable microphone?
    DLR: Nevah. Just because you’re young doesn’t mean you rock. Look at Jon Secada.

EW: What’s Eddie doing as he’s reading this interview?
    DLR: I think he’s talking to himself and his key words are probably: “Uh-oh.”

EW: Don’t tell Sammy, but you were my favorite singer in Van Halen.
    DLR: Oh, thank you much. That means a lot. God bless.

HAGAR

EW: On a scale of 1 to 11, how hard are you partying right now?
    SH: I’m lying down, I’ve got my f---in’ feet up and you know what? That is a form of partying.

EW: So...on a scale of 1 to 11?
    SH: I’m on a 3.

EW: Looking back, do you regret Dave’s buttless pants?
    SH: Yes. Even I wish he’d never done that. And it works to my advantage that he did. Dave’s bold. He believes his own s---, let me tell you. If he brings that s--- out on this tour, I’m gonna have to sleep with the light on, man.

EW: How many shots of your Cabo Wabo tequila does it take to wipe out the memory of that sleeveless yellow getup you wore in the “I Can’t Drive 55” video?
    SH: Actually, it took about four or five cases over the years to erase that.

EW: What’s harder: driving 55 or turning 55?
    SH: Driving 55. Getting old’s a piece of cake...I got a car that I drive, a 427 Shelby. In third gear, at 85 miles an hour, if you just step on it, without popping the clutch, the wheels start smoking. How can you drive 55 miles an hour in a car like that?

EW: Which is the more poignant Van Halen lyric: Your “Only time will tell if we stand the test of time,” or Dave’s “Got an on-ramp comin’ through my bedroom”?
    SH: Dave came up with some good lyrics, little clever lines like that. But none of them really meant anything. When you’re in your 50s and up there singing, “I’ve got a freeway runnin’ through my bedroom” or whatever the f--- that line was, it looks bad. Talking about the test of time – then you’re talking about a true relationship and you can sing that when you’re 50 years old…I’m giving myself the edge.

EW: Sammy, why can’t this be love?
    SH: [Sigh] I wish it could, but Dave’s said a lot of bad things about me in the past.

EW: Can’t it at least be...like?
    SH: You know what? I can like him. He’s an entertaining fellow.

EW: What’s Eddie doing as he’s reading this interview?
    SH: He’s thinking, “Boy, did I f--- up.”

EW: Don’t tell Dave, but you were my favorite singer in Van Halen.
    SH: Oh, right on. You have taste. Peace and love and happiness.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ May 25, 2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That's some funny stuff... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Funny stuff! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

All this bantering back & forth between the two reminds me of that quote DLR said back after he left VH.

"It's all pro-wrestling, man"

Truer words have never been spoken.

"Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Test5150

Thanks for the new sig [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chelle:

Thanks for the new sig [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You're welcome, Chelle. IMO, those were the funniest quotes from each of them.

These interviews weren't yet posted at www.ew.com otherwise I would've provided a link. I just received the issue in the mail today (it includes a recent pic of both DLR and SH). I cracked up reading it so I took the 15 minutes to type it up verbatim.

A couple of other things I noticed:

</font>
    • DLR's age is once again listed as being younger than he actually is. Someday maybe someone in the media will correct this intentional falsehood put forth by the band around 25 years ago.
      </font>
    • I haven't seen a better short interview where one can better tell the differences between DLR's personality and SH's personality
      </font>
    • DLR's reaction to the horrific lyric from WCTBL is hilarious ("...Sam seems to have repeated himself within the space of 18 syllables. I will forever be cursed as an artist, but he could become a congressman.")
      </font>
    • SH's comment about the lyrics from "Panama" ("...'I’ve got a freeway runnin’ through my bedroom' or whatever the f--- that line was...") made me laugh because SH sang the goddamn song on tour himself hundreds of times but didn't even remember the line correctly. Like DLR, I guess he "forgot the fuckin' words." </font>
    All in all, some funny comments from the two of them. I just hope the DLR/SH tour makes it to my neck of the woods (New England) later this year. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Test5150
    Oh and btw, Dave can show up in MY office wearing 'em ANY TIME

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Another great interview w/ DLR and SH! These guys are sure playing the part of the boxing analogy. Of course some of these little digs at each other are definitely real. Should make for a fun tour.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great interview, these guys are WWF all the way!!! Look Out Cleveland!!