Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Check out my 5150 tribute build.

Nothing fancy and not real accurate. But I have less than $400 into it, so it's a decent beater.

I got the bare (I mean really bare), unpainted guitar on eBay for $275 delivered. Spent maybe another $70 on paint, sandpaper and other misc. materials. I got a Wolfetone Marshallhead pickup for free and it sounds pretty goood. Still trying to make it play the way I want, but it's coming along. Fun project. Now that I've learned some lessons with this one, I'll try a Frankenstrat next and try to make a little more accurate.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Night
    Last Online

05.10.12 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks good! I bought a couple of similar guitars. I picked up a Seymour Duncan pickup for it, an EVH pot control and a Switchcraft input for mine .. figured at least I would have good electronics in it. I just need to get off my tail and paint mine, just have to decide if I want to go gloss or relic'd. Only think I don't like on the 5150 is the body is more squared off, I wish the body was more rounded like my own Kramer and the Frankenstrat copy.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

nice!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Very nice. I like how you put a clear shield to see inside the Marshall head. How did you do that?

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

BCBED, those look exactly like the ones from the place in NJ I got mine on eBay.

Lefty, that was a super easy project. I took off the front cover, measured it, then ordered a piece of lexan on eBay and had them cut it to my measurements before shipping. That cost $17. I spent $18 on a new Marshall logo, but didn't use it, just painted the old one black and then sanded off the front, so the edges are black. I bought new white piping on eBay for $14 (still have enough left over for another if anyone will use it) and new, nicer hardware at Lowe's for about $3. Took no time at all and the tubes look pretty cool when it's running. Looks even cooler with the rear mesh on. I honestly keep walking past the thing to stare at it. It's that cool.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Hey Rick Lee, nice to see you over here at the VHLinks... You're the same dude from the Marshall Forums, correct? I think I saw you post in the Wolfgang thread the other day...

How do you like the Wolfetone pickup? I'm getting a Marshallhead for the guitar I'm having built and have heard nothing but positive things about Wolfe and his quality and sound of his pickups...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes, Fast98, that's me.

Wolfe is a buddy of mine (from a Porsche BBS) and gave me the pickup at NAMM. He wants me to really give it a workout and tell him what I think. So far I've had nothing but problems, but not due to the pickup. I broke the first pot I had, trying to force an MXR-style knob on it before realizing it had a tiny adjustment screw in it. Ooops. Then I got a new pot, but couldn't make the solder stick, so had to run out for flux. Then I got her going, but couldn't make the pickup screws stay in the wood because the feet were routed so deep. I tend to hit the bottom of pickups with my right pinky a lot when I play. So that didn't last more than an hour. Finally, I found some tiny wood cubes at Michael's I was able to wedge and glue into the feet holes and then properly mount the pickup directly into that wood. I went to bed after that and woke up with a horrible sinus infection, which I'm just over. Sooooo....I plan to play the hell out of this guitar tonight. What I did notice about this pickup, however is that the sound changes immensely, depending on how close it is to th strings. I mean it's an unreal difference. So I need to chase that down and get it just right. But when it's real close to the strings, it's very aggressive and crunchy. I like it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Cool! The few times I've talked to Wolfe on the phone, I get the impression he lives and breathes pickups. Busy guy for sure... Cool dude to boot!!!

Anywho, saw your score on the EXP over at the Marshall forum earlier... Can't beat that... Under $400, huh? Wow...

Thanks for the info on the pickup... He's actually doing some single coils for me also, I think the Flashback series... I think he's gonna wind those around 6k or so... Lookin' forward to hearing his work in my new geetar soon!!!
    Jet City Super Stealth

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes, Wolfe is a mensch. He got hit a few weeks before NAMM and they totalled out his car and he was thinking of sinking some of that money into the business and expanding. I get the feeling he likes to keep it small and totally hands on, is a little hesitant to grow too much. I wish him the best. I first met him in Seattle a few years ago and hope to check out his shop on my next trip there. It's a tough business and that's all he does. He explained the whole thing to me at NAMM. Meanwhile, over at the SD booth, Seymour was there, hob-nobbing with George Lynch, Alex Skolnick, Bruce Kulick, and many more, had a huge staff there, all his prodcts, etc. I don't think Wolfe wants to take it to that level, but we walked by and drooled a bit.

I will definitely be going back to him for future builds once I figure out my next one.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

It's funny you mention him wanting to keep it small. That's part of the reason why I went with him over Jason Lollar. Don't get me wrong, Lollar does some amazing work, but I wanted to go with the "small" guy... I can tell he's very hands on and I think he had one guy working with him when I asked him how many people work for him...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:54 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

hey Rick,

thats a nice looking 5150.... great job.

Rob

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Those exit98s are great to get your feet wet with...pretty decent too.

The e and b strings always popped out though...is it just me?

You did well but its kinda like your first line of coke....you will do more now....its best to never do it because you just started a real expensive habit.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, Exit98 is the place. Huge bang for the buck. Even though mine was scratch and dent because of a crack in the neck, it still feels great and I figure, being compressed in the neck pocket/joint, it won't be able to expand.

But damn, this thing is kicking my ass. Just spent an hour playing it loud. I'm usually pretty competent at setting guitars up and I just can't get this one right. I have a heavy pick as a neck shim, because bridge bolts were as low as could be, neck is straight as an arrow, action is low, but buzzes on the low E at 2nd fret (F#). I think I may need to shim the nut and/or maybe individual bridge saddles. I have the pickup where I want it too, but it's too twangy on the clean channel. After an hour, I switched to my Les Paul, then to my ES-335, then to my EVH EBMM and all sound so much better on the clean channel and less twangy. And the DiMarzios on the EBMM are even crunchier than the Marshallhead pickup. I don't want to bother with an EQ pedal to make this guitar sound right. I would like to get back to gigging and maybe do a VH tribute side project. So I'd like this thing to be gig-worthy and it's not. My EBMM, by contrast, plays like butter and sounds amazing. It's hard not to just play it all the time.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Where was the crack? Did you check out the frets...mine were a little up and down. Got to practice working on that too.

Mine was kind of dark...I slapped a custom custom on it.

The bridge gave me fits...I actually put an OFR on it and still popped those strings.

It became her first guitar....

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

That's an amazing paint job.

The neck is more like a vertical hairline split around the middle of the 15-18th frets.

I had to file down the ends of the frets, as they were really sharp. Did you have to file down the tops of any of the frets? I'm wondering if I need to do that where it's buzzing on the low E. But there's no going back if I do that.