Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

03.01.12: Van Halen @ Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the New York show on 03.01.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (Complete):

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. The Full Bug
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Outta Love Again
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump _____________
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

Holy shit. Repeat holy shit. Van Halen kicked all kinds of ass tonight. I still can't believe they played The Full Bug. Dave ditched the headset. Sounded great. My wife told me twice during the show, "Eddie looks so happy.". Al was a rock as always. Wolf is light years better as a performer than 2007. Great show.

And to top it off, I had the great pleasure of meeting 95Crash tonight. Guy is Aces all the way. And, his wife is nicer than him. Proof that Ranger and Devil fans can co-exist. Thanks for a fun pre game, J and R!
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 298 Times in 143 Posts

Just back from the show and it was amazing. I've been reading the comments here and watching YouTube clips from previous shows and while I was psyched I did have lowered expectations for Dave. They turned out to be unjustified. I don't know if it is the way his stage presence translates from live to my computer screen but the swagger that seemed missing in the YouTube clips was back. Granted its not 1970s or 80s Dave but it is a 21st century Dave that has complete command of the stage and the crowd. Some highlights: first, no headset. Ever. Opening with Unchained. Nothing beats the feeling that anything can happen from here on out. I knew all of the setlists going in and suddenly everything was turned upside down. After Unchained (I think) Dave had them put the spotlight on some dude that's been to 400 VH concerts. Not bad but I wonder if he counted the Van Hagar or Van Cherone shows. It was a cool and real moment and, again, a break from any choreographed moments. Dave forgot the words to Chinatown and missed the first verse. He laughed about it and moved on. Someone mentioned that there wasn't much talking at the first show but I felt like there was a lot of interaction tonight. It was classic Dave and felt like a VH concert with Eddie and Alex on fire and Dave driving the crowd. He looked confident and, in general, less goofy than he appeared to me in the previous shows based on videos. Great setlist. Great show. Great time. Eddie smiled throughout and seemed to be genuinely having a good time. Smiles. Jumps. Passion in his playing. Wolfie and Alex got the job done and more. I assume the setlist is posted somewhere so I won't bother. Sorry if I kind of rambled but its late and I only planned to write a sentence or two. Must sleep now.

edited to add: During Panama (I think) Dave had Eddie and Wolfie repeat their "Panama" harmony 3 or 4 times. It had me wondering if he was trying to prove something to the doubters. Of course one can pipe vocals in repeatedly but they have me convinced that it is only them.
    Last edited by bjpack; 03.01.12 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Just thought of something.

Romeo Delight ADifferentKindOfTruth's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Fools
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got home...still buzzing from the booze and the show. Amazing, fucking amazing. Starting off with Unchained really set the tone. I went nuts when the played The Full Bug. At Stout before the show, I was actually joking with a friend about calling Dave and telling him to have the band play The Full Bug. Didn't expect that to come true. I am so glad they did HAIL again and Outta Love Again to boot. That is all...I need some sleep.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't know what to say except it was a great show. The sound was better than Tuesday, and so was everything else. Dave sounded good at both shows. He seemed to get a little tired halfway through the set (after YRGM) but got a second wind.

Full Bug, Hear About It, Otta Love, and Women in love were all awesome and worth price of admission. Opening with Unchained was a sweet surprise and I thought it worked better. Still, why aren't they doing YRgM out of eruption?

I'd also dump Ice Cream - it's tired - and put in Stay Frosty.

Besides that fantastic show. Both were good but this was something else.

At one point Dave said to Wolf, early on "I told you tonight would be better."

Dave got pissed at the blowers again.

No headset.

Last edited by crazy levi; 03.01.12 at 10:19 PM.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

I walked in expecting Dave to disappoint me. I was wrong. They have opened with YRGM since 2007... opened with Unchained tonight. Every show has started with the Mic headseat..... Dave comes out with wireless handheld Mic from the start, and Mic stand at one point. No smoke during Cathedral. No pics up on screen during Ed's solo, like Eddie Trunks review, just live vid. Roth staying in a lower vocal register than usually. They must be reading this site cause they changed everything I had a problem with about the tour so far. I was blown away. Thought 2008 MSG was the best I'd ever see... I was wrong. Unreal. Paid $380 per tick, 4 tix, Row22 Ed's side. Totally worth it. I will go again if they swing by NY again. Wow! What a great Rock Show! For once, i kept my camera in my pocket and enjoyed being in the moment. Have not been happy viewing the other shows from youtube. This show was amazing! I hope it only get's better for everyone else's show's to come.

P.S. "The Full Bug"?!?!?!?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!? What a Surprise!!
    Thank You VH!!!!!

Last edited by Hammer Guy; 03.01.12 at 11:10 PM.
    10/91: VH @ Meadowlands Arena - East Rutherford, NJ
    07/93: VH @ Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY
    04/95: VH @ Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, NY
    08/95: VH @ Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY
    08/98: VH @ Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY
    08/02: Roth/Hagar @ Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ
    06/04: VH @ Continental Airlines Arena - East Rutherford, NJ
    11/07: VH @ Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, NY
    11/07: VH @ Madison Square Garden - NYC, NY
    05/08: VH @ Madison Square Garden - NYC, NY
    05/09: ChickenFoot @ Irving Plaza - NYC, NY
    03/12: VH @ Madison Square Garden - NYC, NY
    08/15: VH @ Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire (Live)
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 01:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I went to the show cold turkey- without reading any reviews or knowledge of the setlists since the tour kicked off in Louisville. So few surprises in this day & age, so I wanted the concert experience to be as pure and raw as possible. And I didn't want any outside influences affecting my judgement.

Ecstatic to hear deep cuts ("Full Bug," Outta Love Again," "Women in Love" and "Hear about it later"), even if the latter three aren't fist-pumping, fast-pace rockers per se and/or lack Jungle Boogie danceability.

"HFT" ("Welcome to Diamond Dave's Daycare Center!"), "Panama" and "YRGM" stood out as the strongest numbers of the night, which had the crowd really into it.

On the downside, although I can't get enough of the new album (except for "Tattoo," which I always skip), I thought the four new songs they chose to play live ("She's the Woman," "Tattoo," "China Town" and "The Trouble with Never")... fell flat, which was disappointing. I just didn't feel they translated well from studio recording to live version.

The main problem, compared to the last tour, is finding that delicate balance between the classic hits, new songs and deep cuts (i.e. appeasing the masses vs. staying true to themselves as artists). For example, I was jumping for joy to hear the deep cuts, but felt deflated when the vast majority, who were casual fans, didn't recognize those songs, and instead saw it as an opportunity to run to the bathroom or rest those middle-aged legs. As a result, the energy level dropped a notch. How can you sit down and mope when they're playing "Full Bug" for the first time since the US Festival and then stand up excitedly to sing "I'll Wait" in unison?! Baffles the mind!

As Is, I say.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I literally just pissed my pants that they played Full Bug.
    Right here I say....

Romeo Delight ADifferentKindOfTruth's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Fools
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by powerfuryglory View Post

How can you sit down and mope when they're playing "Full Bug" for the first time since the US Festival and then stand up excitedly to sing "I'll Wait" in unison?! Baffles the mind!
    I hear ya. I don't get it either. I didn't think the causal VH fan existed anymore. Compared to others, I must have looked like a raving lunatic during The Full Bug. Don't care though, I had an awesome time last night. By the way, I was in the North Press Box. Even though it is up there, it was a great place to see the show. Plenty of room to move around...and act like a raving lunatic.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
    Don't know what to say except it was a great show. The sound was better than Tuesday, and so was everything else. Dave sounded good at both shows. He seemed to get a little tired halfway through the set (after YRGM) but got a second wind.

Full Bug, Hear About It, Otta Love, and Women in love were all awesome and worth price of admission. Opening with Unchained was a sweet surprise and I thought it worked better. Still, why aren't they doing YRgM out of eruption?

I'd also dump Ice Cream - it's tired - and put in Stay Frosty.

Besides that fantastic show. Both were good but this was something else.

At one point Dave said to Wolf, early on "I told you tonight would be better."

Dave got pissed at the blowers again.

No headset.

I told my brother when the album came out I'd love to see them do an Ice Cream Man/Stay Frosty medley. I think that would kill.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome show! Got home around 2am, took the train. Like some of you from this forum, started my night at the Stout. Never been there but after 5pm, dj was spinning nothing but VH. Great place. My buddies and I got inside the Garden when Kool & The Gang started. Not a fan of the music except for Jungle Boogie. I respect this band simply for playing instruments and singing. None of this lip-synching crap.

My seats were in 107, row 10. Awesome seats. Eddie's side. Like most, I knew what song they were starting with on past tour and this one. That all changed at 9pm. Started with Unchained. Great start to show. Full Bug was played. I wanted them to play Hear It About Later. Nervous that they played it the 1st show but they played it again and I was quite happy. My friend that came along this time, missed the '07 tour, he was bummed that Mean Streets was not played. Me too. Should have swapped I'll Wait for Mean Streets. I thought the cuts from the ADKOT sound a lot better live than on the cd. Wish they played You and Your Blues.

Eddie was great, so was Dave. I'm glad Dave didn't have that headset, looks stupid. Leave that to the lip synchers/dancers. What can you say about Alex, I don't know how he keeps it up. He never missed a beat. I was quite impressed with Wolfie, especially his vocals. I believe Women In Love was a highlight. At least for me . No vocals are being piped in. It's all Wolfie and Eddie. They all seemed happy to be playing together.

Overall, great show. My only gripes are: For $170 show, there should be at least a 3 song encore, show should easily be over 2hrs long. I'm not saying play a 3hr show like GNR or Foo Fighters, but an 1 hr 50 min show is not worth the $170. I saw the FF, at MSG this past Nov, seats near stage, $75! That said, of course I will always see VH, any where, any time. Awesome show, very tired now. To all those that will attend future shows, just enjoy it!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A few cool moments from the show:

Dave setting up his mic stand next to Wolfie for OPW

Doing the final Panama harmony three times as if to say " You still think we're piping this in motherfuckers?"

Statue of Liberty/New York wind/Ladies night rap in EWS.

Dave putting his ear monitor back in not so he could hear himself because he knows the songs already but to listen to rerun of the Stern show.

Dave at end of Hot for Teacher, "this band does the best song endings in rock'n'roll"

Watching Dave psyche himself up behind the stage just as Ed finished his guitar solo.

Swagger
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful....
    Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

08.04.14 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome set-list!
    Glad to see they opened with Unchained! Funny how this was brought up a few days ago as the song to open with ....

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...2&postcount=64

First Van Halen show: Saturday, March 17, 2012 Toronto, Ontario!!!!!!

Top Of The World SomeGoesToJesus's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

07.02.13 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WOW. Still trying to gather my thoughts regarding this AMAZING show..
    A few insights..

**Opening with UNCHAINED..super powerful.
    **FULL BUG..WTF!!!!
    **Dave taking a moment to acknowledge the dude who was taking in his 400th (i think) VH show..
    **The HEADSET was GONE..DLR seeming much more DLR with the handheld..
    **HAIL and OLA in the set (athough i wanted GGB too, Full Bug more than made up for it..)
    **repeating 'AIN'T NO STOPPING NOW' 3 times in Panama was fantastic.

Overall, i was totally blown away. The whole band was on fire.
    I first saw VH on the DD tour, 11 years old. This show brought me about as close as i can get to the feeling i had way back then.
    Well done, boys.

...Some goes to women..some goes to jesus..well i'm absolutely certain boths' alright...
    ..But it takes me 'least halfway to the label or i couldn't even make it though the night..

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Awesome set!! Now what's the next surprise classic deep cut? Maybe DDL Hop, on fire, bottoms up. But most of all throw more adkot in there such as baf, as is, yayb, outta space, big river, beats workin hell play them all!!!!!!