Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:26 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Default We're All Sick In The Head...

Thought I'd pose a question that I don't think we've covered yet. We are all obsessed, albeit not all to the same degree, with Van Halen or we wouldn't be regulars here. Our views about the new CD are somewhat skewed by our familiarity with the "inside baseball" stuff. We know that many of the songs are from old demos. We know Wolfgang has replaced Mikey. We have an intimate relationship with Van Halen's entire music catalog. We are somewhat sick in the head.

My question is: How do you think people our age that aren't as emotionally invested in Van Halen will react to songs on the new CD? I'm talking about the guys that grew up with Van Halen playing in the background as the soundtrack to their childhood. What will they think of the new music?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Not me, I love it all. Albeit 'new' or 'old'......
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I am not obsessed
    I am Posessed !
    Let's get the facts straight here !!!
    Can I get little more volume in the headphones please ?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    My question is: How do you think people our age that aren't as emotionally invested in Van Halen will react to songs on the new CD? I'm talking about the guys that grew up with Van Halen playing in the background as the soundtrack to their childhood. What will they think of the new music?
    A few friends I have talked to that are not die hard fans think it's a breath of fresh air. They are extremely tired of all the Nirvana/grunge influenced bands that have clogged the rock scene for years. They really love Eddie's style on this album.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you.......

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I played a few tracks for a buddy of mine the other day. He likes VH but was never a fanatic like myself. I played him STW, HBSD & SF. He was getting into it and agreed it sounded great. I don't know if he still buys CD's. Based on that and a few other discussions with friends about ADKOT, I think a lot of people might passively enjoy it, but not buy the CD. It will be thought of as generally well received and appreciated, but not a "must have" for the casual music listener.

In my view though, ADKOT is nothing less than a revelation, an inspiration, and personal fountain of youth. It's the soundtrack to my mid-life crisis. If my copy of ADKOT were damaged every day by a series of freak accidents, I would stop by Wally World and pick up a fresh copy every night. But then, I'm one of you nut cases.
    Staying Frosty

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Thought I'd pose a question that I don't think we've covered yet. We are all obsessed, albeit not all to the same degree, with Van Halen or we wouldn't be regulars here. Our views about the new CD are somewhat skewed by our familiarity with the "inside baseball" stuff. We know that many of the songs are from old demos. We know Wolfgang has replaced Mikey. We have an intimate relationship with Van Halen's entire music catalog. We are somewhat sick in the head.

Out of the 5 or so people I know well that are close to my age (43) and also are/were rock fans (and who I know own or at least have owned at least one VH cd) one was like me and bought the album the day of release and loves it, one bought it and the best compliment I can get out of him is "it's ok I guess, it just doesn't excite me like the old stuff", of the others two friends couldn't even be bothered to listen to any of the teasers and songs I've sent them and had no idea VH has even existed in 20 or more years, and the last one laughed when I told him I was buying the new VH album and gave me the typical "get with the times" and "nobody cares about them anymore" crap.

Basically, I think I could summarize it as 4 out of 5 think I need to grow up. From my perspective they may be the same age I am but they're old and I'm not. I win.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:30 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman2013 View Post
    Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you.......
    Paranoia: You only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile.....
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Last Online

It's not paranoia if they really are all out to get you. Oh, someone basically already said that. Are your reading my mind? What else do you know?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 722 Times in 398 Posts

I think most will see it as a nice blast from the past, but will forget about it when whoever there favorite musicians are now put out new music.

Last Online

I'm curious about what normal, passive listeners will think. I wonder if this will generate some real excitement about real music. I think there is a revolution afoot. I think people are subconsciously tired of all of the industry pre-packaged, vanilla artists that are out there. I think Dave Grohl said it best at the Grammy's. I hope there will be a resurgence of actual bands in the popular music scene. People who create music together, and play their own instruments to do it. My hope is that VH will gain some traction in pop culture, and bring this about. Unfortunately, mindless conformity seems to be the fasion of the day. It's not okay to like someone if the right people don't tell you it's cool to like them. If you have to go to Rolling Stone to find out what's hot before you buy a CD, then you are pretty much a lost cause.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I'm curious about what normal, passive listeners will think. I wonder if this will generate some real excitement about real music. I think there is a revolution afoot. I think people are subconsciously tired of all of the industry pre-packaged, vanilla artists that are out there. I think Dave Grohl said it best at the Grammy's. I hope there will be a resurgence of actual bands in the popular music scene. People who create music together, and play their own instruments to do it. My hope is that VH will gain some traction in pop culture, and bring this about. Unfortunately, mindless conformity seems to be the fasion of the day. It's not okay to like someone if the right people don't tell you it's cool to like them. If you have to go to Rolling Stone to find out what's hot before you buy a CD, then you are pretty much a lost cause.

It's a nice dream but it's still just a dream.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You do realize that Van Halen is about as mainstream of an American band as you can possibly have right. There can't be a "revolution" because they already occupy a very large portion of music fans. There are plenty of actual bands out there today, doing some cool shit. The Black Keys for example. You just have to dig around enough to find them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Out of the 5 or so people I know well that are close to my age (43) and also are/were rock fans (and who I know own or at least have owned at least one VH cd) one was like me and bought the album the day of release and loves it, one bought it and the best compliment I can get out of him is "it's ok I guess, it just doesn't excite me like the old stuff", of the others two friends couldn't even be bothered to listen to any of the teasers and songs I've sent them and had no idea VH has even existed in 20 or more years, and the last one laughed when I told him I was buying the new VH album and gave me the typical "get with the times" and "nobody cares about them anymore" crap.

Basically, I think I could summarize it as 4 out of 5 think I need to grow up. From my perspective they may be the same age I am but they're old and I'm not. I win.

They sound depressed... I hope when I'm in my 30s, or 40s, my friends aren't all depressed, or acting like old farts while thinking they're "with the times."
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I'm in my 20s, but I have a half-brother who's in his late 30s -- a passive VH fan -- and a musician, who was in a jam band that toured the U.S. in the late 90s - mid 2000s.

He ripped the new VH album and loves it. Generally he likes Phish-type stuff, but he's been playing "ADKoT" in his car. He told me that three of his friends asked him to burn them copies.

People my age (20s) seem to react positively to ADKoT, in general -- particularly certain songs, but 'meh' to others. Some of the 'meh'-reaction songs are tunes that people here love though. For example, "Bullethead" gets more love from my passive-listener friends than it does around here.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!