Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1,477 Times in 1,007 Posts

Premium Member

Default Bush-Appointed Federal Judge Sends Racist, Anti-Obama Email Comparing Interracial Sex

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...to-bestiality/

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/art...bout-president

HELENA ó Chief U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull on Wednesday admitted to sending a racially charged email about President Barack Obama from his courthouse chambers.

Cebull, of Billings, was nominated by former President George W. Bush and received his commission in 2001 and has served as chief judge for the District of Montana since 2008.

The subject line of the email, which Cebull sent from his official courthouse email address on Feb. 20 at 3:42 p.m., reads: "A MOM'S MEMORY."

The forwarded text reads as follow:

"Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine.

"A little boy said to his mother; 'Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white?'" the email joke reads. "His mother replied, 'Don't even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!'"

Cebull admitted Wednesday to sending the email to seven recipients, including his personal email address.

The judge acknowledged that the content of the email was racist, but said he does not consider himself racist. He said the email was intended to be a private communication.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

While I get the racial overtones, especially when considering Thomas Jefferson's famous description of negroes and having sex with apes, I must admit that my first read through I didn't get the racism.

I at first thought it was saying she got drunk at a party and had sex with a guy as ugly as a dog, which is actually funnier (which is sad because it's not really funny).

Either way, there is a difference between talking it and doing it, no matter how incendiary or hateful it sounds. If it turns out he has a huge bias in his cases towards Blacks, then that's a much bigger problem. If it turns out he's pretty fair along racial lines, then I don't give a shit what he says in his private emails.

Hell, I've told Black jokes to Black friends who are staunch liberals. They told me a White joke right back. So the mere act of telling a racial joke isn't itself racist, but context definitely makes a difference.

His intelligence, however, should be scrutinized for sending something that you have no control over it going public once you hit send from his office email address. Beyond dumb.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1,477 Times in 1,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    While I get the racial overtones, especially when considering Thomas Jefferson's famous description of negroes and having sex with apes, I must admit that my first read through I didn't get the racism.

I at first thought it was saying she got drunk at a party and had sex with a guy as ugly as a dog, which is actually funnier (which is sad because it's not really funny).

Either way, there is a difference between talking it and doing it, no matter how incendiary or hateful it sounds. If it turns out he has a huge bias in his cases towards Blacks, then that's a much bigger problem. If it turns out he's pretty fair along racial lines, then I don't give a shit what he says in his private emails.

Hell, I've told Black jokes to Black friends who are staunch liberals. They told me a White joke right back. So the mere act of telling a racial joke isn't itself racist, but context definitely makes a difference.

His intelligence, however, should be scrutinized for sending something that you have no control over it going public once you hit send from his office email address. Beyond dumb.
    He has pretty much opened himself up to some scrutiny.

And while I understand what you're saying, that's different when you know someone personally. And hey, he admits himself that the content is racist. Being that he is in fact a judge I think this does deserve attention since he is in a position to effect people's lives the way he is able to do so.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 03.01.12 at 01:50 PM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    He has pretty much opened himself up to some scrutiny.

And while I understand what you're saying, that's different when you know someone personally. And hey, he admits himself that the content is racist. Being that he is in fact a judge I think this does deserve attention since he is in a position to effect people's lives the way he is able to do so.
    And if it turns out he is acting on these beliefs (which we don't even know he believes, as any one of us probably has an email or text or two that if public would make us look terrible), then it's good this got out.