Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart dead at 43

Widely read conservative Internet publisher Andrew Breitbart, whose flare for battle with politicians and the mainstream media earned him a reputation as one of the nation's most influential commentators, died Thursday.

The websites he founded ran a statement Thursday morning announcing that Breitbart, 43, died "unexpectedly from natural causes" in Los Angeles shortly after midnight. His attorney and editor-in-chief of those sites confirmed his death to Fox News.

"We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior," the statement said. "Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love."

Breitbart was a prolific commentator who founded several websites devoted to covering politics, entertainment and everything in between. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Drudge Report before breaking off to start his own outlets -- including Big Government, Big Hollywood and Breitbart.tv.

The statement on his sites quoted the concluding passage from his book, Righteous Indignation.

"I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and-famously-I enjoy making enemies. Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I've lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I've gained hundreds, thousands -- who knows? -- of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night," Breitbart wrote.

The statement ended: "Andrew is at rest, yet the happy warrior lives on, in each of us."

Breitbart was walking near his house in the Brentwood neighborhood shortly after midnight Thursday when he collapsed, his father-in-law Orson Bean said.

Someone saw him fall and called paramedics, who tried to revive him. They rushed him to the emergency room at UCLA Medical Center, Bean said. Breitbart had suffered heart problems a year earlier, but Bean said he could not pinpoint what happened.

"I don't know what to say. It's devastating," Bean told The Associated Press.

Those who knew and worked with him described Breitbart almost uniformly as "fearless," sharply intelligent, witty and devoted to his work.

"He was the modern conservative iteration of a 1960s radical," conservative commentator Jonah Goldberg told Fox News, minutes after Breitbart's death was reported.

"When I say he was the most fearless guy I ever knew, it really is true. I mean, he truly loved the fight," he said.

Breitbart considered his charge to expose corruption, hypocrisy and media bias, and leveraged his network of websites to reach for that goal.

He was on the forefront of reporting several controversies, notably the salacious tweets former Rep. Anthony Weiner had sent to young women before his resignation.

Breitbart became embroiled in a controversy of his own, though, for his reporting on a web video of Agriculture Department employee Shirley Sherrod. The edited video appeared to show Sherrod making a racist comment, but the full tape later put the remark in context and made clear that Sherrod was actually talking about bridging racial differences. Sherrod was fired after the edited video surfaced, and later filed suit against Breitbart.

Breitbart, though, went on to report on one of the biggest congressional scandals of 2011 -- the tweets sent by Weiner to young women he met online. The former New York congressman, who is married, adamantly denied the reports at first, before admitting to them in a tearful press conference and resigning.

One of Breitbart's most memorable moments came when he commandeered the podium before Weiner's final New York conference, holding court with reporters and demanding an apology from Weiner -- while Weiner waited to attend his own press conference.

Goldberg recalled how one of Breitbart's favorite past-times was to retweet the nasty things other people said about him. "He considered it a badge of honor," Goldberg said.

Breitbart's final tweet, posted shortly before he was reported to have died, typified the combative and blunt tone he took with his online debaters. "I called you a putz cause I thought you were being intentionally disingenuous. If not I apologize," he wrote to the individual he had been arguing with.

News of Breitbart's death reverberated on Capitol Hill and on the presidential campaign trail. Rick Santorum said he was "crestfallen."

"What a powerful force," Santorum said. "What a huge loss, in my opinion, for our country and certainly for the conservative movement."

Breitbart is survived by his wife Susannah Bean Breitbart, 41, and four children.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Man, the left on Twitter is about 2-1 nasty, nasty comments about being happy he's dead. Lovely.

Anyway, this is crazy. I am 33 and it kind of scares the crap out of me. I didn't agree with him 100%, nor near 100%, but he seemed like fun in interviews with people I like, such as Adam Carolla and Greg Gutfeld.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:21 AM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

I hope they do a good autopsy along with toxicology .This guy had tons of enemy's .
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Man, the left on Twitter is about 2-1 nasty, nasty comments about being happy he's dead. Lovely.

Anyway, this is crazy. I am 33 and it kind of scares the crap out of me. I didn't agree with him 100%, nor near 100%, but he seemed like fun in interviews with people I like, such as Adam Carolla and Greg Gutfeld.
    Many people wrapped up in politics are out of their minds crazy. I gave up following and commenting on the political circus years ago. Makes the Sam vs. Dave crap on here seem like child's play. Those folks are beyond mean and under-handed. They'll do a 180 on any issue overnight if it matches their party line. Either party. Actual principles are just playing pieces in the game. Ugh.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, he was the guy behind the young white pimp impersonator that showed what garbage ACORN was. Too, bad that was good entertainment.

As far as leftys being happy, ah so what, we're all gonna die one day. if their happy so be it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I hope they do a good autopsy along with toxicology .This guy had tons of enemy's .
    ^^^^ this!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Hmmm...Was going to release info on March 1st. Died March 1st early in the A.M.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    Hmmm...Was going to release info on March 1st. Died March 1st early in the A.M.

It does seem crazy, but he'd had heart problems, and his family told the LA Times he'd collapsed similarly not too long ago.

Last Online

Premium Member

Man, the left tried to destroy this guy. This is worse than when Peter Schiff was on The Ed Show with guest host Lawrence O'Donnell

Atomic Punk
    Last Online