Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Mind numbing stat - Cost to keep a soldier in Afghanistan

Haven't we "won" yet? Surely our advanced weaponry and highly-trained soldiers can defeat a rag-tag, motley crew of bums on horseback or driving beat-up old pickup trucks and toting old Russian Kalashnikov rifles, right!? Meanwhile, Iraq is reverting back to the same sectarian violence that has raged there for 1,000 years. What exactly do we have to show for our efforts other than trillions spent, troops and civilians killed or maimed for life, destroyed infrastructure that hasn't been rebuilt despite billions paid to contractors and an even more destabilized Middle East?

God bless the troops...but not the assholes who sent them there...with our money.

What a waste.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...ing/?hpt=hp_t3

One soldier, one year: $850,000(all of it borrowed)and rising

By Larry Shaughnessy

Keeping one American service member in Afghanistan costs between $850,000 and $1.4 million a year, depending on who you ask. But one matter is clear, that cost is going up.

During a budget hearing today on Capitol Hill, Sen. Kent Conrad, D-North Dakota, asked Department of Defense leaders, "What is the cost per soldier, to maintain a soldier for a year in Afghanistan?" Under Secretary Robert Hale, the Pentagon comptroller, responded "Right now about $850,000 per soldier."

Conrad seemed shocked at the number.

"That kind of takes my breath away, when you tell me it's $850,000," Conrad said

A Pentagon spokesman later said a more accurate figure is $815,000 a year.

Regardless of which number is used Sen. Conrad would be really shocked by the estimate that the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments reached about the same issue.

"The cost per troop in Afghanistan has averaged $1.2 million per troop per year," the center's Todd Harrison wrote in an analysis of last year's Department of Defense budget.

Why the difference? Harrison said the center arrives at its figure by taking "the amount of money spent in Afghanistan for a year and dividing it up by the number of soldiers."

He believes Hale's estimate is lower because the Pentagon removes some costs, like construction, from the Afghanistan spending and divides that lower number by the number of troops.

But one thing is clear, the cost is rising. Hale said the Department of Defense figure was until recently $600,000 a year. And Harrison said the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments' estimate for 2012 is up to $1.4 million.

Harrison said there are two important factors contributing to the increase. There are fewer troops in Afghanistan than in 2011, and the latest Defense budget puts millions into war spending that in previous years were part of the department's base budget.

Hale sees another reason why it's climbing. The major component of the extra costs in Afghanistan are higher operating costs for weapons. When you're in a war you are operating a much higher tempo. "That's a good part that's probably 50% of the budget," he testified.

One thing is clear, the soldier impacts only a small percentage of that cost. A typical army sergeant with four years service makes a base pay of less than $30,000 a year.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Is there any group among the Aghanistanians that wants us there? Perhaps they should be footing part of the bill. But I don't think there is, so maybe it's time to just leave them to their own devices and just worry about defending our own soil.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    Is there any group among the Aghanistanians that wants us there? Perhaps they should be footing part of the bill. But I don't think there is, so maybe it's time to just leave them to their own devices and just worry about defending our own soil.
    ^ ^ We invaded their country and now you want them to pay for it? Haha, that's golden. Fucking Americans.

And the Afghans "own devices" have served them just fine for a long long time. Just ask Alexander the Great, England, Russia, or anyone else who's "invaded" Afghanistan throughout history.

USA is retarded.

Afghanistan is "easy to march into, hard to march out of."
    - Alexander the Great
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    ^ ^ We invaded their country and now you want them to pay for it? Haha, that's golden. Fucking Americans.

And the Afghans "own devices" have served them just fine for a long long time. Just ask Alexander the Great, England, Russia, or anyone else who's "invaded" Afghanistan throughout history.

USA is retarded.

- Alexander the Great
    No, I'm saying if there is one group that wants our continued presence there to help them fight off another group, then they should help pay the costs of our services. But I don't think any of them do want us there, and so we should get the hell out.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

We are retarded. The enemy is going to break us with our spending and stupidity. A 48 year old soldier from Maryland was killed last week in a safe zone shot in back of the head point blank after some jihadist went on a killing spree. Robert Marchanti was a Major in the National Gaurd. He was a teacher in the Baltimore County school system for 16 years. He had a wife of 24yrs , 4 kids, and 1 grandchild. Why are grandfathers dying in that shit hole for 10 years? And all you hear about on the news is Whitney Houston and same sex marriage. Brave people are dying and getting blown apart for 10 years now. Its enough. Pull out of there and wipe the menace clean within our own boarders.
    Last edited by edwardv; 02.29.12 at 02:10 PM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post

USA is retarded.

- Alexander the Great
    The Afghans being left to their own devices is leaving them to their own fate, which will never be pretty, and I am OK with that.

And we invaded a country during a time of war, and now, when someone dies in that country, the Afghan government wants us to pay the family of the deceased restitution. Go fuck yourselves. It's war, and people die.

Again, go fuck yourselves.

America is retarded.

That makes Afghanistan a brain dead vegetable that has already had its feeding tube removed. What's 2+2 motherfucker? Even a retard could answer that.

It's simply the majority, cool, follow the crowd opinion to simply state that America is wrong for being there.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

America being there for ten years is the problem.

We NEVER leave, and I mean NEVER.

We are still in Japan and Germany for fucks sake, and that was over sixty years ago!

We do not fucking need this global military empire. If Germany wants our troops there to protect them from Russia then FUCKING PAY US TO BE THERE. Otherwise, take care of it yourself.

Japan and South Korea wants us there to protect them from China, ok, then FUCKING PAY US TO BE THERE. Otherwise, you are on your own boys.

Why we need over a thousand military bases outside of the United States is just mind boggling to me.

I know, I know, control. Well fuck it, we are going broke because of it. Just like the Romans, the French, the British Empire, we are following the exact same path of crushing deficits in trying to support a bloated military.

And yes, I know this is a very simplistic argument, but the basics are there. WE DON'T NEED THIS HUGE FUCKING MILITARY ANYMORE. And I love the military, I am about the only member of my family and extended family NOT in the military. But fuck a camel, we got to get smart and start concentrating on things that matter, not whether the Taliban is making heroin in Afghanistan.

Rant over. Flame away.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

America doesn't like to lose but I think there is no hope for Afghanistan. We will be there for another ten years and longer probably. Iraq I see hope for, but throughout history, nation after nation has gotten their asses handed to them in the long run, in Afghanistan. We need to call it a day there.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

We are still in Japan and Germany for fucks sake, and that was over sixty years ago!
    Well, if the Germans hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor................

Just sayin..............

HH<-----likes japanese food-n-stuff---------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

And of that $850K only about 7% of that ends up in the military members pay for a 1 year tour on average.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It costs even more when you add private security contractors who get paid a lot more than soldiers.
    God is love, but get it in writing.
    - DLR