Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.11.14 @ 04:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Coachella 2013 - and other promotional ideas

hi all,

lots of talk on promoting ADKOT harder than just one single and a tour.

in this day of mass, multichannel media, you gotta attack from all angles.

i know eddie would rather stab his eyes out with a fork than do guest appearances on american idol, leno, SNL, etc, but that's the name of the game these days.

plus, the rest of the band can just let DLR do most of the media stuff. i bet he'd LOVE to guest host TMZ, guest judge AI, etc. anything for the spotlight ;-)

lastly, we are a bit too late for 2012, BUT Van Halen would ABSOLUTELY KILL as headliners for next years coachella festival!

with that said, it's not that easy for a hard rock album to sell multi-million copies these days. ADKOT will do just fine, but it's a pretty fuckin' heavy album by VH standards.

basically, when you have other message boards from fans of mastodon, soundgarden, etc praising the album as a masterpiece (seriously), that's a sign that Van Halen is super high on street cred, but not gonna appeal to the masses.

see ya,
    Robby

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

I want the album to do well, but let's not get crazy. There would be no faster way to alienate the core fan base than an appearance on American Idol. And guest host TMZ? That's just pure kooky talk. That shit is for bored housewives not music fans.

There are plenty of TV avenues that preserve the band's intregrity and also help it reach a broader audience - I agree on SNL and then add Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Letterman, and Conan. Fallon and Kimmel in particular have made live music a huge part of their shows.

Coachella might be a little too much of a hipster crowd for VH, but I'd still love to see it.
    Last edited by C Brown; 02.29.12 at 01:08 PM.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i see where you are coming from.

people would SHIT THEIR PANTS with Van Halen headlining coachella. i'd LOVE to see it!

TMZ is actually a "dude version" of gossip shows. basically a toned version of the shit howard stern would do by cornering stars with stuttering john in the street.

i guess as far as american idol, the jury will be out once the new aerosmith album debuts - as to whether or not steven tyler's on AI helped the bottom line at all.

what i'm getting at is with all these new channels of media, you need to stay in at least some of them, some of the time, or our short attention span populous will forget you... minute to minute.

Robby

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    I want the album to do well, but let's not get crazy. There would be no faster way to alienate the core fan base than an appearance on American Idol. And guest host TMZ? That's just pure kooky talk. That shit is for bored housewives not music fans.

There are plenty of TV avenues that preserve the band's intregrity and also help it reach a broader audience - I agree on SNL and then add Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Letterman, and Conan. Fallon and Kimmel in particular have made live music a huge part of their shows.

Coachella might be a little too much of a hipster crowd for VH, but I'd still love to see it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oaktown_dimond View Post
    i see where you are coming from.

people would SHIT THEIR PANTS with Van Halen headlining coachella. i'd LOVE to see it!

TMZ is actually a "dude version" of gossip shows. basically a toned version of the shit howard stern would do by cornering stars with stuttering john in the street.

i guess as far as american idol, the jury will be out once the new aerosmith album debuts - as to whether or not steven tyler's on AI helped the bottom line at all.

what i'm getting at is with all these new channels of media, you need to stay in at least some of them, some of the time, or our short attention span populous will forget you... minute to minute.

Robby
    I'm just so anit-AI, I'm probably too biased to give a rational opinion. I can see where it would almost certainly help Aerosmith sell more records. My mom (age 62) is already interested in going to see them live, and I doubt she knew who they were before Steven Tyler was a judge on AI.

I agree they need to try to stay in the public eye. At the very least, a late-night appearance or two. And then maybe more licenses for use on TV shows and hopefully movies as well.

I probably wouldn't have said this 10 years ago, but even licensing for a TV commercial might not be a bad idea if it's the right product/company. The White Stripe's licensed "Ball and Biscuit" for a Captain Morgan commercial, and it came off pretty well.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so true!

i remember when moby, unhappy after the slow sales for his album "Play", licensed the whole fricken album out to commercials. THEN, the album took off!

i hear what you're saying about american idol. i actually can't stand it BUT i stumbled upon an episode about 2 years ago and it was crystal bowersox singing give me one reason by tracy chapman. SHE KILLED IT! so i watched the rest of that season for her.

but AI has gone back to sucking since then, so i haven't watched since.

see ya,
    Robby

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    I'm just so anit-AI, I'm probably too biased to give a rational opinion. I can see where it would almost certainly help Aerosmith sell more records. My mom (age 62) is already interested in going to see them live, and I doubt she knew who they were before Steven Tyler was a judge on AI.

I agree they need to try to stay in the public eye. At the very least, a late-night appearance or two. And then maybe more licenses for use on TV shows and hopefully movies as well.

I probably wouldn't have said this 10 years ago, but even licensing for a TV commercial might not be a bad idea if it's the right product/company. The White Stripe's licensed "Ball and Biscuit" for a Captain Morgan commercial, and it came off pretty well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

It starts with doing the usuals: SNL, Letterman, Fallon, Today Show, etc.

The thing is that VH is doing arenas without the press. If they did this stuff, it would sell a few more albums and put some more asses in seats, but not that many more. They are close to their North American ceiling, imo.

If VH reallly wants to expand, they need to revive the fan base in Europe, Asia, an South America. As dysfunctional as GnR is, they packed the house in Brazil. Rush draws huge crowds, as well. If VH hits the road in these ignored parts of the world, they will make a ton more $$$ than if they just did more stuff here.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.23.12 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lmr5150 View Post
    It starts with doing the usuals: SNL, Letterman, Fallon, Today Show, etc.

The thing is that VH is doing arenas without the press. If they did this stuff, it would sell a few more albums and put some more asses in seats, but not that many more. They are close to their North American ceiling, imo.

If VH reallly wants to expand, they need to revive the fan base in Europe, Asia, an South America. As dysfunctional as GnR is, they packed the house in Brazil. Rush draws huge crowds, as well. If VH hits the road in these ignored parts of the world, they will make a ton more $$$ than if they just did more stuff here.
    They turned down all press requests letterman. fallon, stern, etc