Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is it really that hard to believe another tenor backup singer exists?

Now Eddie Trunk and Rolling Stone are intimating that VH is once again pumping in the angelic vocals of the bassist formerly employed by VH. Apparently the notes on WIL are only reachable by one human being on the planet. Are their ears shot? It's only a Bb at the highest point, not nearly out of the range of a decent tenor. Furthermore the timbre of his voice is obviously not the same. MA's voice is stronger and cuts through better. Wolf is a decent facsimile but you can hear he has less bite.

The convoluted logic required to believe this charade is silly. Supposedly the band after an acrimonious split with a longtime member decided to pull a song out of mothballs that specifically required the abilities of the now departed. I like WIL but was anyone demanding to hear it before it showed up? It doesn't sound exactly like the record so were these vocals stolen from some obscure demo or '79 show? The mental gymnastics required to even fathom it are ludicrous. How are these people still employed?

Forgot to add the utter inconsistency of the arguments:

His background vocals sounded suspiciously flawless though, possibly lending credence to the fan theory that the group uses piped-in background vocals. It's very hard to say for certain – though the background vocals during "Woman In Love" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" sounded like Wolfie and Eddie were channeling Michael Anthony.
    Now, this was definitely not Van Halen at their peak. It was hard not to miss Michael Anthony
    How can you miss him if he's allegedly already there?
    Last edited by Wedge Salad; 02.29.12 at 12:41 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All without Sam or Gary
    Favorite VH Song

Same as above
    Last Online

04.04.12 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie Trunk is a fat turd. I know this is gonna be rough for some people, but the dude has a hard on for anything Sammy or anyone associated with him, like MA. He's doing the same thing that Sammy is doing and trying to get his little jabs in whenever he can. The truth must really hurt though, that VH is all that without Sammy and MA not being there. To prove, how much and how far he is up the ass of anything that deals with Sammy or CF, i say roll em.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:15 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig43 View Post
    Eddie Trunk is a fat turd. I know this is gonna be rough for some people, but the dude has a hard on for anything Sammy or anyone associated with him, like MA. He's doing the same thing that Sammy is doing and trying to get his little jabs in whenever he can. The truth must really hurt though, that VH is all that without Sammy and MA not being there. To prove, how much and how far he is up the ass of anything that deals with Sammy or CF, i say roll em.

Yeah, Trunk REALLY jabbed hard when he posted this last night:

Eddie Trunk
    I was also really impressed with @WolfVanHalen as a player & singer. He has his Dad's genes for sure as a player on the bass side. Goodnight

Damn him for going after Wolf like that. I bet Sammy put him up to it.

Geez, Ludwig, we get it, you don't like Trunk. At least be fair about your dislike instead of picking and choosing items to try to make your point.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post

Eddie Trunk
    I was also really impressed with @WolfVanHalen as a player & singer. He has his Dad's genes for sure as a player on the bass side. Goodnight

Geez, Ludwig, we get it, you don't like Trunk. At least be fair about your dislike instead of picking and choosing items to try to make your point.

So you think it even rational to suggest that the band is piping in vocals??? What a fucking tool.

Favorite VH Album

VH-5150
    Last Online

03.20.15 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody can be a factoid nerd. Comments like, "sure sounds like Mike Anthony being pumped in to me!" just shows what little musical ear these morons actually have.

=WVH= is no fraud.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:15 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    So you think it even rational to suggest that the band is piping in vocals??? What a fucking tool.
    Rational or not is not my point. After seeing the reports from members who have attended the shows and the pre-shows, I personally don't think there should be any question. But not everyone in the world comes to this site and hasn't read them.

My point is that when Trunk or anyone else makes a negative comment, it is immediately jumped on. If that same person makes a positive comment, which the majority of Trunk's posts were last night, they are ignored. A little objectivity would be nice.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post

Eddie Trunk

Stop wasting your breath with those silly fact thingies. Some folks just feed off negativity and love to spread their misery. With all the positive Van Halen stuff going on, some are still obsessed with salmming on Sammy and Mike.

You'd think people who clearly hate Sammy and Mike would be happy right now since Dave is back, Sammy and Mike are out, there's a killer new album and tour.... but I guess it's not enough to get them to crack a smile. Must suck to be so angry and miserable all the time.

Stay Frosty

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

It wouldn't surprise me that the band piped in a little vocal help.

It would floor me that they used Michael Anthony's voice.

I just don't think they'd want to risk it or give him the satisfaction. Easier to just hire an anonymous professional, if you're going to do it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me that the band piped in a little vocal help.

It would floor me that they used Michael Anthony's voice.

I just don't think they'd want to risk it or give him the satisfaction. Easier to just hire an anonymous professional, if you're going to do it.

Agreed

At the show, I was watching Wolf and Ed when the background vocals came in and it looked like they were singing.

On bootlegs, it looks like they are singing, but it does sound pretty full for 2 dudes, but Wolf is attacking the vocals pretty hard, it could be just him and Ed. Why does it even matter so much to people? Most bands that do it aren't even sneaky about it anymore, it's just to fill out the song.

I don't hear Michael at all on any of the boots I've heard, so if they are piping some help in, it ain't Mike.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is/Sinner's Swing
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 05:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would make sense to hire a professional vocalist to stand behind a curtain and emulate Michael Anthony's harmonies. Perhaps the keyboard player is filling this role?

Hell, I think Van Halen should hire Ralph Saenz A.K.A Michael Starr of a Steel Panther to stand in the shadows and emulate David Lee.

There is less shame in hiring professional "ringers" to provide live backing vocals in order to reproduce the classic Van Halen sound, instead of using Michael Anthony's ancient studio backing tracks.

At $200 per ticket, the Van Halen experience should be as faithful to the original sound as possible.

Milan

Favorite VH Album

All without Sam or Gary
    Favorite VH Song

Same as above
    Last Online

04.04.12 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I attacked Trunk because, the guy just can't seem to give a positive response and leave it at that. He has to throw in that little jab, the same way Sammy does when asked anything about VH at this time. Sure he said that Wolf has his dads gene's and other stuff, but all that goes out the window when he adds that annoying bullshit. Also for those that think i'm a negative person and seem to always comment on stuff like this. I will always comment on things that i think are a flat out lie or a crock of shit. If idiots like Trunk are gonna throw that out there, someone needs to be there to throw it back in his face.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em-all eras.
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.04.15 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

While i feel at this stage in the game it's absurd to throw the "piped-in" silliness around, does it even matter what a joke like Trunk, etc think? Any feelings of missing Mike, for me, are for sentimental reasons. As far as the quality of the playing/singing on this CD/Tour, in this case via Wolfie, i'm more than satisfied.
    SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 1,201 Times in 531 Posts

I attacked Trunk because, the guy just can't seem to give a positive response and leave it at that. He has to throw in that little jab, the same way Sammy does when asked anything about VH at this time. Sure he said that Wolf has his dads gene's and other stuff, but all that goes out the window when he adds that annoying bullshit. Also for those that think i'm a negative person and seem to always comment on stuff like this. I will always comment on things that i think are a flat out lie or a crock of shit. If idiots like Trunk are gonna throw that out there, someone needs to be there to throw it back in his face.
    Go get em Lud . Fuck Trunk.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by topjimmy4vh View Post
    While i feel at this stage in the game it's absurd to throw the "piped-in" silliness around, does it even matter what a joke like Trunk, etc think? Any feelings of missing Mike, for me, are for sentimental reasons. As far as the quality of the playing/singing on this CD/Tour, in this case via Wolfie, i'm more than satisfied.
    It only matters when some guy like Trunk who presumably has a number of "fans" himself, start spreading the bullshit further to the point where it becomes "fact" to a larger mass of people. Irresponsible journalism is just that. But whatever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I am not a musician. But I do know bands use an effect where when a backup singer sings a note that it activates a pre-recorded part or an echo to - usually prerecorded vocals to help supplement the sound. I have no doubt that Wolfie is singing. I don't believe Mike's vocals are being piped in. But I am pretty sure they are getting some help with the backing vocals. I have been to enough shows in my life to at least discern that much. And by the way, there is nothing wrong with protools, autotune, etc.

In Louisville, at the begining of Tattoo, DLR pointed stage right and the intro came on. Pretty sure that was prerecorded.