Thread: Wet/Dry Setup

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Night
    Last Online

05.10.12 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wet/Dry Setup

I know Eddie does a Wet/Dry/Wet signal but I was just curious on a way to do this without breaking the bank, I've seen it done with a couple of combo amps .. but I was wondering about this scenario not having to have a second amp.

5150III 50 watt and 2 1x12 cabinets, guitar in and out from amp to one speaker for dry sound, then this is where I have no idea.

Would you need to come from the Amp Line Output into a a DI box (I know Eddie uses a Palmer Speaker Simulator) and then to the effects and then a power amp and then the second cabinet?

To keep prices down and not have a huge rack, it would be nice to handle all this with pedals.

For the Eventide Micro Pitch I've seen some talk on message boards about using a Neunaber Chroma Chorus which when set right is more a micro pitch pedal than a chorus

or some said a Boss PS-6

Then in place of a big racked power amp, I've seen some suggestions to use the Electro-Harmonix 22 Caliber or 44 Magnum pedal

Would any of this be possible, or would it all be a big waste?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Amp into 1x12. Line out of amp into your Chroma Chorus or Boss PS-7, into a Delay pedal, into the .44 EH amp pedal, into the second 1x12. Done.

I run a similar set up as Eddies with a Soldano or Bogner head into a 4x12, then line out into either a SDE3000 or Chandler Echo into a V800 power amp which powers a second 4x12. This is W/D. Ed uses W/D/W, but I just haven't gotten around to running in stereo yet. Hope this helps.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Night
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, it does help! ... does not using the 5150 (or in your case the Soldano's) Power tubes make the tone change? or is it really those preamp tubes being overdriven that gives the sound?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcubed View Post
    Yep, it does help! ... does not using the 5150 (or in your case the Soldano's) Power tubes make the tone change? or is it really those preamp tubes being overdriven that gives the sound?
    The line out of both of those amps (and most amps for that matter) are "post power tubes" so you're getting the sound of the full amp at line level. It's often referred to as a "slave out." Make sure you always have a speaker (or load) connected to your speaker out though - the line out is not for headphones or anything like that, and you'll damage your amp if you try to run the line out without a speaker connected to the speaker outs.

Now, if you took your signal from the amp from the effects loop send, you'd only be getting the preamp signal, which won't sound as good.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Night
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    The line out of both of those amps (and most amps for that matter) are "post power tubes" so you're getting the sound of the full amp at line level. It's often referred to as a "slave out." Make sure you always have a speaker (or load) connected to your speaker out though - the line out is not for headphones or anything like that, and you'll damage your amp if you try to run the line out without a speaker connected to the speaker outs.

Now, if you took your signal from the amp from the effects loop send, you'd only be getting the preamp signal, which won't sound as good.
    Good to note, thanks! I have a Peavey Special 212 (got it instead of a 5150 combo because of costs, should have gotten the 5150) and the thing I did love about it is that it has a power in, I used to go directly from some of my multi-effects into it and it sounded great cause it was like using a poweramp and speaker cabinet.

Last night I did take and split my signal and go dry into one combo amp #1 and then the other signal through my Line6 M5 on the Pitch Glide setting set at .01 and then added a little delay in Amp #2 and it sounded great! (well great for being solid state combo amps).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Night
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I just made a new purchase ... I bought a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt .. I already have a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt and I've been pretty happy with it. When I first saw the 5150 III 50 watt I thought I would end up with one, but listening to everyone here about how a 50 watt is not much quieter than the 100watt head, it's just not for me as I wouldn't be able to use it to it's potential.

The new spider adds a new amp model called high gain which is supposed to replicated Van Halen .. and from this video, it doesn't do too bad a job! Also now that I will have 2 very similar amps, I can use them to do my Wet/Dry setup if I want.