Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Officials fix menu after 'KKK Chicken' typo

Methuen superintendent says 'exemplary employee' made mistake which is quickly fixed

METHUEN — About 6,500 students in four city grammar schools took home new menus yesterday to replace the ones they got on Monday which school officials say listed "KKK Chicken Tenders" by mistake.

The menu was supposed to read "KK Chicken Tenders," short for Krispy, Krunchy, according to Methuen Schools Superintendent Judith Scannell, who called it an unfortunate typo by a longtime, "exemplary employee."

"As she was typing it, she hit a third 'K.' It was an oversight," Scannell said. "I apologize for the School District if we offended anybody. This was cleaned up immediately and a new menu sent out."

At least one, unnamed person who identified herself as the mother of a grammar school child was angry enough to call a Boston television station, which ran with the story on its nightly newscast yesterday.

But Scannell said she never heard from the irate mom or any other parents who were concerned about the mistake.

"Apparently this mom called the food service director and spoke to the office. One parent called the food service director," Scannell said. "Not one single parent had called me, my office or any of my administrators. I checked with my School Committee people and they have not received one call. The School Committee was not aware of any of this. But now, this is totally out of control."

The only people who have been calling Scannell about the menu mistake have been from the media, she said.

Meanwhile, the superintendent said she planned to meet with her staff this morning to see if any additional steps need to be taken to deal with any fallout from the "KKK" reference.

KKK is the common abbreviation for Ku Klux Klan, an infamous century-old white supremacy, terrorist group born out of the American Civil War. It was the group's murderous actions during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s which provokes discussion of a dark side of American history — and one that Methuen educators or parents may have to address this week if questioned what "KKK" stands for.

"I'm not an educator, but if my son asked me what it meant, I would try to explain it to him," City Councilor Sean Fountain said in an interview last night. "I think it's being blown more out of proportion than what really happened. I really don't think it was intended to be a negative issue or racial issue."

Fountain, whose son Cameron is an eighth-grader at the Marsh Grammar School, said he wasn't aware of the flawed menu that came home Monday. His son hasn't asked him about it either, he said.

"And I haven't gotten any calls about, so I don't think it's an issue," he said. "Somebody made a mistake, and it was corrected. That's it," he said.

"If the parent was upset about it, she should have voiced it with the principal or the superintendent," he said.

Mayor Stephen Zanni, who chairs the School Committee, said the superintendent briefed him and other members of the committee about the mistake yesterday.

"It was all based on a typographical error, so I don't think there was any intent," the mayor said. He added that nobody has called his office to complain.

"The first thing I thought of, someone had a brain freeze for a moment," said School Committee member Deborah Quinn.

"I would hope no one would be that insensitive to do that on purpose. I know the superintendent would immediately take action (if it were intentional)," she said.

Quinn said no parents called her to complain about the menu mistake.

None of the other school committee members interviewed last night reported receiving calls from angry parents. Most suggested the typo would have been corrected and gone unnoticed by the public had the typo not become a news story. They said the superintendent and staff responded to the situation well.

----------------------------------------------------

Parents Outraged By 'KKK Chicken' School Lunch

METHUEN, Mass. -- Some local parents are outraged after a school menu boasted "KKK Chicken Tenders" as one of next week's lunch specials for students.

A Methuen parent, who asked not to be named, said the printed lunch menu that her daughter brought home from the Marsh Grammar School on Monday listed the chicken for March 9. She said her fourth-grade daughter asked her about the entree Monday night.

"(My daughter said,) 'Mom, you know what's KKK chicken tenders?' And I said, 'What did you say to me?'" she said.

The parent said when she called the Methuen Public Schools to complain, she was told by someone in the Nutrition Department that "KKK Chicken" stood for "Crispy, Crunchy Chicken," and the C's had been swapped for K's.

"(I asked) 'How are you going to address this concern?' And she said, 'Well, we're not going to reprint a bunch of menus,'" the parent said. "She didn't even care. She was, 'Oh well. It's there. This is what it is, and this is what they're eating."

Although new menus had not been printed, the entry had been changed to "Krispy, Krunchy Chicken" on the school's website on Tuesday.

"If they're teaching our kids to spell correctly, it should be 'CCC,'" the parent said.

Attempts by WCVB to reach Methuen School Superintendent Judith Scannell and Marsh Grammar School Principal Rick Beshara were unsuccessful.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

The parent said when she called the Methuen Public Schools to complain, she was told by someone in the Nutrition Department that "KKK Chicken" stood for "Crispy, Crunchy Chicken," and the C's had been swapped for K's.

"(I asked) 'How are you going to address this concern?' And she said, 'Well, we're not going to reprint a bunch of menus,'" the parent said. "She didn't even care. She was, 'Oh well. It's there. This is what it is, and this is what they're eating."

Although new menus had not been printed, the entry had been changed to "Krispy, Krunchy Chicken" on the school's website on Tuesday.

"If they're teaching our kids to spell correctly, it should be 'CCC,'" the parent said.
    That's exactly right. Of course, if they'd put "CC Chicken", someone probably would've taken 'em to task for making fun of stutterers...

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I guess this woman never seen Toys R Us and a million other purposely misspelled words. I mean, it's only the most basic form of marketing.

This is such a stupid non-story. It's someone making noise because they have nothing better to do.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I understand that the KKK is none too pleased about this.

"Dammit, if we decide to terrorize children using extra crispy fried chicken, there will be no confusion about it."

Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Kuite the krazy kommotion.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

give me a freaKKKing breaKKK here. This is such a stupid waste of time. Somebody looking for 15 minutes of notariety over a a typo.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

This is such a stupid non-story. It's someone making noise because they have nothing better to do.
    This.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

METHUEN, Mass. -- Some local parents are outraged after a school menu boasted "KKK Chicken Tenders" as one of next week's lunch specials for students.
    Boasted? Let's hear it for journalistic integrity.

On a side note I believe a civil suit is in order here. While I am certain that this was an accident I have suffered some emotional damage knowing that the saying 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me' has lost all credibility. I believe I can get a lawyer to file suit for 250 kajillion dollars to help me deal with the long lasting scars that will most likely affect the rest of my life in ways that I cannot fathom at this time.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The parents should be up in arms about the nutritional value of fried chicken before worrying about a typo that might have been offensive in the 1960's.
    Staying Frosty

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    The parents should be up in arms about the nutritional value of fried chicken before worrying about a typo that might have been offensive in the 1960's.
    What are you talking about? Don't you know the KKK Chicken is all white meat?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    What are you talking about? Don't you know the KKK Chicken is all white meat?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I guess this woman never seen Toys R Us and a million other purposely misspelled words. I mean, it's only the most basic form of marketing.

I second this......it's completely fucking stupid......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls