Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Default Chardon Ohio High School Shooting

Very close to me, and I have friends that live in Chardon and have kids in the High School.

Chardon (Ohio) High School Shooting: Five Injured, One in Custody

Five students were injured and one gunman is in custody following a shooting this morning at Chardon High School in Ohio.

The gunman opened fire with a handgun just before 8 a.m. in the school cafeteria where students were eating breakfast, authorities and witnesses said.

The shooter was chased out of the building by a teacher and later turned himself in to a passerby, authorities said at a news conference. Police have not yet confirmed if the gunman was a student at the school, but junior Heather Ziska told the Associated Press she recognized the shooter as a fellow student.

The suspect is in custody at Geauga County Safety Center, according to ABC News' Cleveland affiliate WEWS.

"A prompt entry was made into the school. They went into the school and located the victims. It became readily apparent that the shooter had fled already," a police official said at a news conference. "The individual was apprehended some distance from the school and had fled on foot."

The officer said police created a security perimeter to make sure the gunman could not return and a search, including a K-9 unit, was launched for the suspect.

Two students were taken by ambulance to Hillcrest Hospital and three were taken by helicopter to MetroHealth Hospital, according to WEWS.

Parent Teresa Hunt told WEWS that she was texting with her daughter during the lockdown and her daughter said she heard five shots fired in the cafeteria about 7:30 a.m. Her daughter texted that students were scared and that four people had been shot.

Chardon student Evan Erasmus told WEWS that a student had tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school, but that no one took him seriously.

The Chardon Fire Department was called to the school at about 7:45 a.m. in response to a report of "several people shot," according to Inspector William Crowley of the Chardon Fire Department.

Multiple law enforcement agencies are on-scene, including a SWAT team that is checking the entire school.

"We are on scene and can confirm that a SWAT team is out there, making things secure and, of course, conducting the preliminary steps of the investigation with the local authorities that called us," Vicki Anderson, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Cleveland division, told ABCNews.com.

The superintendent immediately canceled classes at all schools in the district. Students who were still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes and parents were called to pick up their children that were already at school.

The Chardon School District sent a voicemail to parents that schools are closed and high school students are being moved to the middle school, according to WEWS.

Parents received the following message:

"As of 9:00 AM the alleged sole CHS gunman is in custody and Chardon High School students are being moved by safety forces to Maple Elementary. Parents or legal guardians can pick up their students up any time. Chardon Middle School students are also being released to parents."

Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted around 9:30 a.m., "Pls pray for wounded Chardon HS students, their families, and their community; appears things under control now."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has eight agents on their way to the scene and they are expected to trace the firearm.

Chardon is a village in Geauga County, about 35 miles west of Cleveland, Ohio.

As I was posting this, it was reported that one of the students has died.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

They are in my prayers .
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

47, what's the status of your friends that have kids in Chardon High? Everyone ok?

Evening news said this kid did the shooting because he was bullied? Shit..........

HH<------fucking hates bullies---------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    47, what's the status of your friends that have kids in Chardon High? Everyone ok?

Evening news said this kid did the shooting because he was bullied? Shit..........

HH<------fucking hates bullies---------------
    Lots of rattled nerves, but everybody I know is OK. Just like hundreds of other family's. What I'm hearing the most is how to explain it all to the elementary age kids that just want to know why there was no school today or tomorrow.

One bad apple! my Dad used to say.

If they are going to use the bully tag every time something like this happens, then it's time to teach our kids how to bully back. Cowards have ruined nice normal lives all through out history. Nice normal lives need to stop this bullshit.

Number 47's opinions are his own but demand to be questioned!

Last Online

Premium Member

A second student has died.

Last Online

Premium Member

A third student has now died.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    If they are going to use the bully tag every time something like this happens, then it's time to teach our kids how to bully back. Cowards have ruined nice normal lives all through out history. Nice normal lives need to stop this bullshit.

Number 47's opinions are his own but demand to be questioned!
    shouldn't we just teach our kids to not be bullies?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    shouldn't we just teach our kids to not be bullies?
    What if a victim wasn't a bully and was just an unfortunate bystander...
    This whole bully excuse is growing thin...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    A third student has now died.
    CHARDON, Ohio - A third student died Tuesday morning in the surburban Cleveland high school shooting that left two other students dead when a teenager allegedly opened fire in the cafeteria on Monday.

Demetrius Hewlin, a student from Chardon High School, and who was previously listed in critical condition, passed away, according to hospital MetroHealth System. His family released the following statement:

"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community. Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

News of Hewlin's death came hours after another student, Russell King Jr., was declared brain dead, authorities said Tuesday. The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office received the word about King Jr. just before 1 a.m. Tuesday, office administrator Hugh Shannon said in a statement. It was unclear whether King remained on life support; the statement referred to him as both deceased and brain dead.

"The cause and manner of death of this case are under on-going investigation and will be released upon completion," Shannon said in a statement. A spokeswoman at MetroHealth System said Tuesday morning that no information on his condition was available.

King, 17, was one of five students injured when a suspect identified by a family lawyer as TJ Lane began shooting at Chardon High School Monday morning. King was studying alternative energy at nearby Auburn Career Center and like the others who were shot was waiting for a bus for his daily 15-minute ride to the center. Student Daniel Parmertor died hours after the shooting.

Ohio high school shooting victims
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_1....html?tag=page

Shooter, TJ Lane

Last edited by voivod; 02.28.12 at 10:37 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Bullying happens even with adults. Look, I got teased badly as a kid in elementary school when I was tall and chubby. But I think that helped me develop my sense of humor. It was a way for other kids to like me, but it was also a deflection. Either way, I had a problem and found a way to try and solve it.

I was actually a pretty likable kid, and I had a lot of friends. But that doesn't stop some kids from being douchebags. I remember one kid kept screwing with me in 8th-grade PE. On the way back into the lockerroom, he kept stepping on my shoe heel behind me. I asked him to stop twice. The next time, I turned around and swung at his face. The PE teacher saw it and didn't even send me to the office for it. The kid never messed with me again.

Now, I was in the position that I had a loving family, good parents, and I didn't have anything really wrong with me mentally. I suppose you could say I was lucky.

But there's another part of this--learning how to deal with bullies. You'll never stop bullies. You'll even have to deal with them as an adult.

But no matter how sad I was after being picked on, I never once thought about A) jumping off of a tall building, or B) picking up a weapon and killing people.

There is something else going on here beyond just bullying.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Ohio school shooting: Teens describe suspected shooter, T.J. Lane, as quiet yet ‘sweet’ loner
    17-year-old came from troubled family; Facebook post reveals dark, violent thoughts

Friends and students who know the Cleveland-area teen suspected of shooting five students at a high school cafeteria on Monday have described him as a quiet outcast who was occasionally picked on, but not known to lash out.

T.J. Lane, 17, walked up to a lunch table at Chardon High School on Monday morning and shot five students with a handgun, according to a statement from his family's lawyer and local reports.

Lane was reportedly arrested after being chased from the cafeteria by a teacher, but police haven't formally identified him as the gunman.

One of the victims, 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor, died on Monday, while two others, Demetrius Hewlin, a junior, and Russell King Jr., 17 were pronounced dead on Tuesday morning.

Two others were wounded in the attack and said to be recovering at a local hospital.

Lane was expected to appear in court on Tuesday afternoon.

A motive for the shooting isn't clear, though several stunned teens who spoke to local news stations after the incident described Lane as reserved and occasionally a target for bullies, but not overtly dangerous or troubled.

"He seemed like a very normal... teenage boy," a friend, Haley Kovacik, told CNN.

"He did have a sad look in his eyes a lot of the time, but he talked normally, he never said anything strange."

Chardon freshman Alissa Hartman told local station WEWS-TV that she rode the bus with Lane every day. Although they weren't close, the 17-year-old "seemed really sweet."

"He would just talk and smile, and kind of laugh," Hartman said.

But another friend, Jonathan Donato, said Lane's reserved nature hid a darker side.

"He was just a person that wanted to hide himself and keep all of his emotions in," Donato told WEWS-TV at a candlelight vigil for the victims on Monday night.

"And he was doing what he wanted to do: Hiding his emotions. They built up and they built up inside of him, and they came out in a way that nobody would expect."

Officials at Lake Academy, a school for at-risk teens where Lane was a sophomore, have not commented on the shooting.

A statement from a family attorney described Lane as "a good kid" with "impressive grades."

"He pretty much sticks to himself but does have some friends and has never been in trouble over anything that we know about," the statement said.

But court records revealed a tumultuous family life.

Both his parents were arrested on domestic violence charges when Lane was a baby and eventually divorced in 2002, Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

---------------------------------

The 17 year old suspected of killing two high school students and wounding three others in a shooting yesterday in Ohio was described as a loner by students and his lawyer.

Thomas "T.J." Lane, who is expected to be arraigned Tuesday for the rampage at Chardon High School, came from a violent family. His father was arrested numerous times for abusing women, including Lane's mother, according to court records cited by The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Although the shooting took place at 7:30 a.m. in the Chardon High cafeteria, Lane was enrolled at Lake Academy Alternative School, an institution for "at risk" youths, according to CNN.

An eerie poem that Lane wrote on Facebook in December received extra attention in light of Monday's violence.

"In a quaint lonely town, sits a man with a frown. No job. No family. No crown. His luck had run out. Lost and alone," Lane wrote in the post that has since been deleted.

"So, to the castle he proceeds, like an ominous breeze through the trees. 'Stay back!' The Guards screamed as they were thrown to their knees. 'Oh God, have mercy, please!'"

Gregg Jantz, a psychologist and mental health author from Seattle, says that Lane's Facebook post from December should have triggered a red flag with any adult who saw it.

"That kind of writing is warning sign of an impending disaster," Jantz told The Huffington Post. "We don't need anything more. He was forecasting his struggles right there."

But Lane was enrolled in the school for troubled students, suggesting that school officials had previously become concerned by his behavior.

"The bottom line is a depressed teenager who may be acting out is especially hard to predict," Jantz said to Huff Post.

FBI agents declined to say if they've identified a motive. On Monday, police searched his home to comb through computer files, phone records and other evidence related to planning the attack.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    ... But that doesn't stop some kids from being douchebags. I remember one kid kept screwing with me in 8th-grade PE. On the way back into the lockerroom, he kept stepping on my shoe heel behind me. I asked him to stop twice. The next time, I turned around and swung at his face. The PE teacher saw it and didn't even send me to the office for it. The kid never messed with me again.
    Almost identical incident for me but it was 6th grade between classes & I detoured into the bathroom fully intending (in my mind at least) to KO the snot. Didn't knock him out but did land a nice shot to his jaw. I just went on to class & he came in a few minutes later emabrrassed & humble. Actually apologized to me & we were buds from then on until I moved a couple years later.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

This seems to be more and more common since Columbine. Believe it or not, I was a lot of the same things that people are describing about this kid. But it had nothing to do with bullying or a broken home. Myself, I'm just a loner type of guy. It has little to do with anyone else.

I'm sick to death of this copycat crime. I think parents aren't involved enough in their children's lives and I think that's part of the problem. The whole broken home or broken family thing is tired. It's just tired. You got to be a pretty evil person to do something like this. I think some of this could be prevented it if parents were more involved in their kids lives. But the fact that so many parents have to work long and hard hours these days doesn't help.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    What if a victim wasn't a bully and was just an unfortunate bystander...
    This whole bully excuse is growing thin...
    I think we could make the argument that the kid's father was a bully to women according to news reports. Probably safe to say he bullied his kid too.

Maybe if parents quit being selfish pricks and tried to be positive role models with their kids a lot of this in society would go away.

I know I'm asking too much of people but it just seems like abused kids grow up to be psychos in one form or another and for the most part kids that grow up in good supportive homes tend to end up being positive members of their community.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Even as a libertarian I have no problem at least exploring the idea of holding parents accountable if they didn't do their job correctly. Is there something tangible that they did or didn't do that led to this? Maybe we should look at that.

Like I have said before (and it's immortalized much more eloquently in someone else's signature), good parenting doesn't necessarily mean good children. All the parenting in the world may not be able to prevent your kid from killing people and eating them if your last name is Dahmer.