Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkn' Bout Love.
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang- He brings more than a bass guitar.

Wolf turns 21 on March 16, 2012.

I believe Wolfgang Van Halen is the glue that will keep Van Halen together for the foreseeable future. Putting music aside and just focusing on the health of the band, Wolfie is the rock right now. He may not have the experience or stage presence of Michael, but he has something that no one else could offer, fresh perspective, and family blood. If you watch the second interview between the original three (3) you can see some of the old tensions bleeding through, Alex and Eddie tiring of Dave's interruptions. In the old days it would have been over already. The bands maturity, and the presence of Wolfgang, gives Ed and Alex a more reserved mindset in moving through the marriage. I love them all, and accept them as they are. But, having been married for 20+ years and then going through a divorce, I can assure you it only takes one sentence from the ex to get the blood boiling.

Wolfgang is all grown up, and in many ways can keep the other three focused on how to make this work. Keep it professional, limit the negative exposure, and focus on the end goal. Plus, hopefully they all have a certain sense of keeping things low key for the younger guy.

If you haven't watched the 6 part history of VH, do so.

Chris

Evansville, IN 1978 - VHI (Black Sabbath)
    Raliegh, NC 1979 - VHII
    Louisville, Ky 1982 - Diver Down

Sacramento, CA 11/27/07 - Oldies Tour
    Louisville, KY 2/18/12 - ADKOT
    Denver, CO 5/24/12 - ADKOT
    Los Angeles, CA 6/09/12 - ADKOT

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Wolf's first show as a 21 year old will be Toronto the next night.

Here's hoping they bust out some sort of deep cut to celebrate the occasion.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

07.30.15 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He's bringing some bad ass background vocals, that I was not expecting, I'll tell you that right now!
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

In all due respect to OP, I see no tension at all in this band between the three founding members. Want to see tension bleeding through? MTV VMA's 1996.

Wolfgang brings a bunch to the band. Solid bassist skills, fantastic vox, and (evidently) twinkies. Lotsa twinkies.

Nah, I'm kidding!!

Wolfies great. I really admire the young man. He's come so far already. And he has so much more to give as his years-long music career spans into decades

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why is Wolf's weight brought up when VH employed a portly bassist for three decades before him? It's strange how girth and "not looking like a rock star" is considered a negative for one but a positive for the other. Hell, there are enough similarities that I've often entertained the idea that Val got really drunk once in 1990 and...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

The similarites are astounding.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkn' Bout Love.
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    In all due respect to OP, I see no tension at all in this band between the three founding members. Want to see tension bleeding through? MTV VMA's 1996.

Wolfgang brings a bunch to the band. Solid bassist skills, fantastic vox, and (evidently) twinkies. Lotsa twinkies.

Nah, I'm kidding!!

Wolfies great. I really admire the young man. He's come so far already. And he has so much more to give as his years-long music career spans into decades
    I hear what you are saying, and agree it's nothing like the VMA's. I am 51 YO and have watched this band for so many years, you get to know their body postures and smiles. Also, once you have spent many years with a person, or persons, you just have a natural feel for how things are. The guys look better together right now than ever, but I know how easy things can go astray, and I certainly know those moments of uneasiness. Trust me, when you reach their age you will understand the complexity of holding it together even when it drives you crazy. Many married people do it every day for their children.

I look forward to many more years with VH again.

Chris

Evansville, IN 1978 - VHI (Black Sabbath)
    Raliegh, NC 1979 - VHII
    Louisville, Ky 1982 - Diver Down

Sacramento, CA 11/27/07 - Oldies Tour
    Louisville, KY 2/18/12 - ADKOT
    Denver, CO 5/24/12 - ADKOT
    Los Angeles, CA 6/09/12 - ADKOT

Last Online

12.11.15 @ 10:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got nothing against Wolf, but this whole "Golden Gods" awards has really been a bad idea, pitting Michael and Wolfgang against each other. It actually astounds me that all these people who were saying "Its not the same without Mike" and looking up to him as the one solid person who has been there, seen it all and done is duty (and done it well) for about 30 years, can now say that Mike is "washed up" and that Wolfgang completely trumps him on bass. (This is mostly at VHND)

It just seems sad that with Wolfgang being given free reign and a better and more distinctive sound in the album mix, he's suddenly "better", even though he's playing bass lines written by Michael Anthony decades ago.

On the other hand, I do agree that I was super surprised by Wolfgang's growth as a player, and a band member. He's there, new and improved, raring to go, and seems to have that hunger (no pun intended) that Ed had when he was in his early 20s. Eds new sobriety and the new material have given Wolfgang a podium on which to stand. Most of all, as others have said, his backing vocals are essentially up to par. Still doesn't have that X Factor that Michael had, but he hits the notes and does a good job of it. He is exactly what I believe Edward wanted out of a bass player.
    If I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about what I've gone through over the last 20 odd years, what it took to finally get where I am, people just wouldn't fucking believe it. So it's pointless. I now realize that I can't change people's minds, and I really don't want to or need to try. I'm at peace with it, and that's all that matters. - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:21 AM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Wolf's first show as a 21 year old will be Toronto the next night.

Here's hoping they bust out some sort of deep cut to celebrate the occasion.
    After the show he's going to Deep Cut some lucky Toronto babe!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,462 Times in 898 Posts

Wolfgang is certainly holding his own from what I've seen on the youtube clips and from listening to the new album.

I also see a different Eddie than we saw in the 2000s and that is making a world of difference.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Salad View Post
    Why is Wolf's weight brought up when VH employed a portly bassist for three decades before him? It's strange how girth and "not looking like a rock star" is considered a negative for one but a positive for the other. Hell, there are enough similarities that I've often entertained the idea that Val got really drunk once in 1990 and...
    It's brought up because of the epidemic of childhood obesity. Jenny Craig can help. Ask Val.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 2,208 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lupercal View Post
    I've got nothing against Wolf, but this whole "Golden Gods" awards has really been a bad idea, pitting Michael and Wolfgang against each other. It actually astounds me that all these people who were saying "Its not the same without Mike" and looking up to him as the one solid person who has been there, seen it all and done is duty (and done it well) for about 30 years, can now say that Mike is "washed up" and that Wolfgang completely trumps him on bass. (This is mostly at VHND)

It just seems sad that with Wolfgang being given free reign and a better and more distinctive sound in the album mix, he's suddenly "better", even though he's playing bass lines written by Michael Anthony decades ago.

On the other hand, I do agree that I was super surprised by Wolfgang's growth as a player, and a band member. He's there, new and improved, raring to go, and seems to have that hunger (no pun intended) that Ed had when he was in his early 20s. Eds new sobriety and the new material have given Wolfgang a podium on which to stand. Most of all, as others have said, his backing vocals are essentially up to par. Still doesn't have that X Factor that Michael had, but he hits the notes and does a good job of it. He is exactly what I believe Edward wanted out of a bass player.

He's playing his own bass lines on all the songs. Unless there's a recording of Michael Anthony tapping on the intro to China Town, he's not playing MA's parts. Even the "classic" songs that he plays live he's putting his own touch on them.

Besides, from what we gather from Sam, you could say that Mike was playing Ed's bass lines for all those years.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lupercal View Post
    He is exactly what I believe Edward wanted out of a bass player.
    Yes. Himself, basically.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.30.13 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speaking of Twinkies, hostess is filing for bankruptcy so Wolf may be getting a truck load. get 'em while you can.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aeorun View Post
    Speaking of Twinkies, hostess is filing for bankruptcy so Wolf may be getting a truck load. get 'em while you can.
    Wolf weight jokes are as lame as it gets.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.