Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

02.24.12: Van Halen @ United Center - Chicago, IL - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Chicago show on 02.24.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List: (Complete)

1. You Really Got Me
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Mean Street
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. Unchained
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Blood and Fire
    Last Online

08.19.12 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was there tonight, 12th row directly in front of Ed's mic. Dave was irritated all night. All hell broke loose after RWTD. His headset was making all sorts of popping sounds and he ditched it entirely. Tried to use a handheld wireless mic, which never worked. So from She's The Woman on, he used a handheld corded mic. Kept yelling for duct tape and a fan to be turned off. Was shooting daggers at the crew all night and visibly pissed. He cut everything short and just wanted to get out of there. All the breakdowns... Ice Cream Man intro were seriously abbreviated. And his voice was shot. Ed sounded great. Glad I went, but it was definitely not a top ten show, by any means. They just weren't feeling it.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I agree with GSB, Dave seemed aggravated with the whole mic thing and his voice was completely shot. Ed was on fire and was all smiles as was Alex. I have to say that Wolfie did a great job too and I am very impressed with his playing. Great set list and glad that GGB and TTWN was added. Overall it was a good show and I will see them again in April!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warnstedt View Post
    I agree with GSB, Dave seemed aggravated with the whole mic thing and his voice was completely shot. Ed was on fire and was all smiles as was Alex. I have to say that Wolfie did a great job too and I am very impressed with his playing. Great set list and glad that GGB and TTWN was added. Overall it was a good show and I will see them again in April!
    Yo Jim!

Glad u saw them!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.25.12 @ 12:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think everyone that says "His voice is shot" is making a mountain out of a molehill. After seeing these posts from other reviews and listening to youtube videos, I expected the worse going in.

For the first two or three songs, DLR did sound rough. I actually wondered if he could make it through the concert. But he was coughing a little, so he could in fact be a little sick. (Hope he didn't catch something here, as me and many others I know in Chicago have been sick.) He eventually shouted for the stagehands to hand him a bottle of water. However, he quickly picked his game up and sounded great for a vast majority of the time. Yes, he probably doesn't sing everything exactly like he used to sing it. But he still sounded like DLR -- although maybe a little lower in some instances.

Yes, to restate the obvious everyone is stating: Eddie is on fire. Wolfgang is the real deal. Alex is solid.

I was happy I saw DLR with a mic vs a headset, but the malfunctions made him miss an entire verse of at least one song (China Town) and were a distraction until he got a working mic. Somebody mentioned the headset was the source of the popping sound coming through. Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one noticing a popping sound.

Additional observations:
    > China Town is one of my top favorite songs off the album, but it just doesn't work live in an arena. Too fast for the acoustics of an arena (with their sound) and much of the older crowd seemed uninterested in that style of music. It felt like another band was on the stage for one song. They should yank it.
    > Panama just didn't seem to click for the longest time. It felt like everyone was just off. At one point it seemed like some were almost a beat off from the others. It was towards the end, so maybe they were getting tired.
    > Their energy is impressive. They play non-stop with very little breaks.
    > Do not judge these guys by YouTube videos. You need to be there. YouTube videos of these guys make them sound like shit -- especially DLR.

Overall I had a great time and think the guys worked hard and gave me my money's worth.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have to disagree with the reviewer above me - Dave's voice is most certainly shot. At least it was last night. The fact that his headset wasn't working quickly moved from a plus to a minus when it became obvious his in-ear monitors weren't working (he ripped them out sometime around "China Town" and plugged his finger is his ear in an effort to hear himself for the remainder of the night). As much as I taught Dave stunk last night - and, face it folks, he did - I will give him a HUGE thumbs up for effort as he tried his hardest to push forward and sing. But, that's really the problem, he's trying to sing in this higher register that he couldn't do years ago, let alone now. I'm not sure why he has abandoned his baritone for this vibrato-filled, off-key caterwauling that induces far too many cringes. Even so, I will give DLR big props for doing his best working through some serious equipment issues. The showmust go on, as they say, and Dave was a professional and I respect that.

Musically, the band sounds fantastic. Ed is playing with a fire and passion I haven't heard (studio or in concert) since the F.U.C.K. tour. He seemed happy, healthy, and engaged - really great to see. Wolf is VERY solid on the bass and it's great to see him develop some stage presence. It's hard to believe he's only 21 but he clearly has the Van Halen genes and gift of music. His backing vocals were, for the most part, on target but he did much better when he had his dad singing with him as it tended to even him out. Al was, in a word, Al. How he can play so much, so quickly, without breaks at his age is really astonishing. The cat is simply one of the best hard rock drummers ever and really doesn't get enough credit. Dave did his best, as I said above, to put on a good show. When he sang in lower octaves, it worked well. When he started reaching for notes - which was often - the wheels tended to fly off. "I'll Wait" which is already painful to sit through, was made even worse by Dave straining so hard to hit notes that are simply out of his range. He should have stuck with the way he sang "Ice Cream Man" which was PERFECT and in his range. Instead, he was crooning the vast majority of the night and it was hard to hear and hard to watch. It's not a ton of fun to watch a once mighty rock god become a parody of himself. A for effort, D for execution. Sorry if this review seems tilted to discuss Dave but his audio issues and, for me at least, his singing colored every aspect of the show.

Other than having to white-knuckle through some VERY questionable singing, the show was solid but, for lack of a better term, felt very rushed. Maybe it was the audio problems or maybe it's just the way this tour is, but they went from song to song without ANY interaction with the crowd. Several of the songs were shortened as well including the "it's getting a little hot in here" break in "Panama" and the first half of the solo in "Hot For Teacher". Ed's solo even seemed rushed but it won't along with the feel and vibe of the night. Again, maybe it was just last night but the breakneck pace of the show felt awkward - like they couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. I clocked the show at 96 minutes which is a hell of a fast pace.

All in all it was a fantastic show musically and not so much from a singing perspective. And, before any of you folks slam me for burning on Dave, let's remember it's my opinion (and that of my bride who was with me). I've seen Van Halen too many times to count over the past 25 years and Dave simply wasn't good last night. Professional, yes. Good, no. In fact, he was awful. He never had the greatest voice and last night only served to amplify his limitations while negating many of the other things he usually brings to the table (the showmanship and fantastic ability to connect with the crowd). I had planned on seeing them 2-3 more times on this tour but now I'm seriously questioning that. I know it was one night and the evening was scarred with technical issues, but I don't know if I want to blow another $600 (tickets, food, a frosty refreshment or two, parking, babysitting, etc.) on another Van Halen night. Knowing me I'll still end up flying down to Dallas to see it in June with some good friends of mine, but it's hard to get excited about it after last night.

How everyone enjoyed (and if you haven't seen them, enjoys) the show!
    Last edited by wip5150; 02.25.12 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Because I'm typing on an iPad and the auto-correct is killing me.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.22.12 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Detroit show was so amazing, that I bought 2 good seats for Chicago. I was tired after a long drive but, it was still a very good show. It was pretty packed. I will say that the fans in Detroit were a lot louder and the band fed off that.

The issues with Dave's mic definitely touched a nerve in him! He was pretty hot! Haha. He did a great job though getting through it. Wolfie laughed when Dave told the tech to "get the fuck off the stage" Eddie didn't stop smiling the whole show! The man is just on fire and in total control of his craft!

Alex is off the hook this album and tour! I tried to concentrate and focus on him during China Town and HFT being a guitar player and an EVH nut that's hard for me to do but holy crap is he amazing! He looks so relaxed too!

I thought Dave sounded fine. He was a pro getting through all of the technical difficulties. His voice isn't "shot" as some would want you to believe. You'll soon see when and if you go to a show. I do wish that they'd drop Pretty Woman and I'll Wait. Drop Dead Legs and Hang em High would fit perfectly into the set!

Wolfie is flat out bringing it! His playing was amazing and the kid can really sing! WIL vocals were spot on! I saw him and Dave off stage during Alex's solo and they said something and kind of chest bumped and laughed! That was pretty cool to see

That's my take. Go see them!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.25.12 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Here's the review thread for the Chicago show on 02.24.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List: (Complete)

1. You Really Got Me
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo

6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Mean Street
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. Unchained
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    NICE

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to admit, this was not nearly as good of a show as when I saw them in 2008. I don't know if it was the general sound of the place or what. The headset/mic issues aside, it was just way too loud if you're sitting off to the side.
    When Ed started GGB, I just couldn't stand the high pitch squeals and drowning out of some of the notes by other notes. Think of it as cranking up a crappy stereo in a car with the treble cranked. There were more parts that had the same problems. I was thinking at the time, how much better it would sound if they were to just take the overall volume down just a tad.

It was somewhat like that in '08 also, but not nearly as bad, it was a lot clearer then. You could hear all the notes Ed was playing. Not here, it was all meshed together and sounded like crap.

Now, for Dave.
    What I was thinking at the time was that, after the headset/mic/monitor issues, he sounded like crap because of trying to compensate for everything being off. I'm not so sure his voice was shot. He was all over the place in different songs, almost as a clear sign he couldn't hear himself.

Wolf.....I like the kid, and from what I could hear, was jus fine.
    Alex......like usual, solid, never an issue.
    Ed....from what I could tell, he was awesome all night.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened at the beginning of Panama. Ed was kneeling down on the floor, lights off and Alex starts, and Ed wasn't ready. Went over and talked to Dave a couple times. Something was off from the start of the song and it just generally was not tight. It did sound off throughout the whole thing.
    All in all, wasn't a good night. It did look like they wanted to just get through the setlist and get out of there.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Judging from the clips, it looks as though Dave couldn't hear himself at all. I doubt his voice was as shot as people are saying. When a singer can't hear himself, bad shit can happen. It seems like everyone was having sound issues last night with "Panama" getting screwed up. Someone will be fired. These shows are too big to have mistakes and no solution ready.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

I was there last night and I was dissatisfied. Kool and the Gang was a stupid choice to start with. Totally the wrong crowd for the music. When VH finally came out, the place went nuts. I was excited as hell. Even over dumb shit like Dave twirling his light saber. However, the excitement went down hill from there Dave wise. I am a huge fan of Dave's and it pains me to admit this, but his vocals chords are shot. Beyond what many of us Dave fans excuse as just normal Dave like vocals. The headset was a dumb idea to begin with and last night proved it. I did not like the fact that he was yelling at the crew like they were dirt under his feet. Wow, how 1980s rock and roll. My 9 year old son was with me for his first concert with dad. I was so fn thrilled about the occasion that Dave's performance could not ruin it for us. I went to the 07/08 concert twice and it was far superior. This show is rushed every night. There is no healthy audience interaction, no motorcycle break down during EWS, no fun Cream tune during SGMAD. Just pow, pow pow....let's take the money and get the fuck out in less than 2 hours! I am glad I did not buy tix for the second show. I love the new album and wanted to say last night was great vocally, but I can't. My son was in heaven and that made up for it. I think this may have been it for me as far as shelling out for VH concerts. With their tour cycle of 4 years or more, I can't imagine what Dave will sound like then. What a shame. I still love them all for all the great music. Thanks for that. BTW, Eddie, Al and Wolf did a fine job. However, since they run the show too, they too get blamed for a rushed job in my book. I wish them well and hope they improve the show as time goes on. They have got a great album and should do a little fn press to sell the damn thing.
    Last edited by edvanheineken; 02.25.12 at 08:29 AM.
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.22.12 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    Judging from the clips, it looks as though Dave couldn't hear himself at all. I doubt his voice was as shot as people are saying. When a singer can't hear himself, bad shit can happen. It seems like everyone was having sound issues last night with "Panama" getting screwed up. Someone will be fired. These shows are too big to have mistakes and no solution ready.
    That's exactly what it was. Dave sounded fine but lost sometimes. I must have missed the problems with Panama because the drunk next to us had to take his 25th piss break so, the whole row had to get up and out of his stupid fucking way. The sound wasn't as good as the Palace.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

oops wrong thread
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 02.25.12 at 11:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On Fire
    Last Online

07.09.12 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Singing blind doesn't work. Even the best vocalist would be hard pressed to overcome that. You become disoriented and completely unable to adjust. You don't have to play out every night to experience this. Just go try and sing karaoke some place that has no monitors and a really loud sound system. It's hell.
    Eat Us And Smile

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edvanheineken View Post
    I was there last night and I was dissatisfied. Kool and the Gang was a stupid choice to start with. Totally the wrong crowd for the music. When VH finally came out, the place went nuts. I was excited as hell. Even over dumb shit like Dave twirling his light saber. However, the excitement went down hill from there Dave wise. I am a huge fan of Dave's and it pains me to admit this, but his vocals chords are shot. Beyond what many of us Dave fans excuse as just normal Dave like vocals. The headset was a dumb idea to begin with and last night proved it. I did not like the fact that he was yelling at the crew like they were dirt under his feet. Wow, how 1980s rock and roll. My 9 year old son was with me for his first concert with dad. I was so fn thrilled about the occasion that Dave's performance could not ruin it for us. I went to the 07/08 concert twice and it was far superior. This show is rushed every night. There is no healthy audience interaction, no motorcycle break down during EWS, no fun Cream tune during SGMAD. Just pow, pow pow....let's take the money and get the fuck out in less than 2 hours! I am glad I did not buy tix for the second show. I love the new album and wanted to say last night was great vocally, but I can't. My son was in heaven and that made up for it. I think this may have been it for me as far as shelling out for VH concerts. With their tour cycle of 4 years or more, I can't imagine what Dave will sound like then. What a shame. I still love them all for all the great music. Thanks for that. BTW, Eddie, Al and Wolf did a fine job. However, since they run the show too, they too get blamed for a rushed job in my book. I wish them well and hope they improve the show as time goes on. They have got a great album and should do a little fn press to sell the damn thing.
    Sorry you had a bad time last night but The first shows were awesome! Dave's voice isn't shot, the guys are out having a good time playing and it shows, last night they had a problem, and it took away from the show, all I can say to you is when they come back on the shed tour go again, you deserve to see the kind of show the rest of us did!