Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Radio host Michael Graham whines about Oscars not appealing to masses...

The guy is seriously arguing that Hollywood (not just the Oscars) doesn't do enough to appeal to "regular people;" and instead thumb their noses at them. He thinks Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the best film of the year, and that if the film doesn't do well at the box office, it shouldn't be nominated. Ugh.

The listeners calling into the show -- with their best and worst -- are making it worse. The one good listener, who liked Drive, got cut off and disconnected as soon as he mentioned it. Ugh!

Here's the write up of today's show from his website....

“The Artist?” “The Descendants? The Tree of Life?” I’m supposed to sit through bad, self-indulgent speeches from spoiled Hollywood types to find out what these movies won?
    Puh-LEEZE.
    Every year I wonder if the Oscar buzz can get any quieter, and every year the AMPAA manages to underwhelm. Remember last year’s big winners, Black Swan (ick!) and The King’s Speech (yawn...)?
    This year’s thrilling ending will involved a black and white silent film starring a dog; a George Clooney soap opera for old people; and director Terrance Malik’s latest 37-hour epic.
    So forget that. Hollywood will indulge in their annual televised bout of what Catholics used to call “self-abuse,” (hosted by Billy Crystal, who I LOVED during the Clinton administration!) but we’ve got our own plans.
    In honor of Massachusetts’ own Hollywood Diva, Liz Warren, and her campaign to “recapture Ted Kennedy’s senate seat,” it’s time for...
    THE “PEOPLE’S (THEATER) SEAT” ACADEMY AWARDS!
    Instead of Oscar’s, we give away “Teddy’s”
    On today’s show, we’re going to nominate the best movies from among the films people actually saw (a crazy idea, I know). Movies like:
    Mission Impossible--Ghost Protocol
    Bridesmaids
    Rise of the Planet Of The Apes
    Captain America
    The Hangover Part II
    And yes, “The Help.” In fact, you can nominate any movie that came out last year. It’s the People’s (Theater) Seat!
    We’re also looking for the WORST movie you had inflicted upon you in 2011. If you can’t remember what you saw or when you saw it, click here for a list of the 2011 releases, in order of their popularity with actual ticket buyers.
    Once you’ve scanned the list, please post your nominees below, or email MichaelGraham@969BostonTalks.com
    And the Teddy goes to...
    Could you image Orson Welles or Stanley Kubrick making movies today? Douchers like this would tear them apart for not being dumb enough basically.

I don't get how some can attack Hollywood for lack of originality, but bash directors that make films with some artistic merit. People thinking like this guy is a chunk of the reason why we get so much crap today.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The last time I found the Oscars watchable is when Letterman hosted.

Other than that, I never gave a shit. Billy Crystal was funny once. That was in the 80's.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Awards shows have become outlets for political causes not entertainment. Count me out.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

the guy has a kind of backwards point

first they have to decide what the award show is....a chance to showcase the winners for the industry? This thing is televised for the masses so the show should appeal to the masses..the awards are different from the awards SHOW .what awards are we interested in? Best Movie, best acting and supporting acting, music awards ( mostly song not score and this year in a sign that they are really getting out of touch they only nominated a couple of songs) and maybe costume...and maybe director

editing nope...screenplay uh maybe...makeup? not really....sound effects...not really..director of photography...well who won last year? anyone remember?..I don' t think the public even cares about set design...and probably can't tell you what production design is

make all that a show that they can stream over the internet to those who are interested in that stuff and make the show on the network about the top movies...and then they can use the extra time to do a tribute thing to the highest grossing movies..cause that's what the public saw and wants to see, and if that was what was keeping the studios in business, they DESERVE recognition.

for me, I watch the red carpet.....then surf the web for the winners and catch the highlights......I can guarantee you that I will not watch the entire show

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    The last time I found the Oscars watchable is when Letterman hosted.

Other than that, I never gave a shit. Billy Crystal was funny once. That was in the 80's.
    I've only watched the OSCARS once the last 10 years. And that's because 2007 was just such a good year. Otherwise, I look to see who won afterwards. But the shows themselves are just painful. But that's not the point. The point is that you don't reward the biggest crap. Sorry, but The Hangover 2 sucked. Hell, I honestly didn't know anyone that was interested in even seeing it.

Planet of the Apes?

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

When I think of the Hangover 2 (still ain't seen, but I dug the first one) I think of one of the opening scenes of TRON: Legacy where the Encom CEO is asked directly what was different about the new 12th edition OS they were about to unveil.

The answer he got: "Well, this year we put a '12' on the box."
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The problem here is that the awards ceremony has become a TV event. They didn't start live broadcasts until the 60s. Before that it was at a hotel, and everyone was drunk...as it should be.

Now it's a TV show, and they're always trying to figure out a way to boost ratings. This is where they fail. The Academy should just show taped highlights on the weekend, maybe make the show available via webcast for film buff, and just tone the beast down.

Screw the masses.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300