Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,594 Times in 4,942 Posts

02.22.12: Van Halen @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, IN - REVIEWS/SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Indianapolis show on 02.22.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List: (Complete)

1. You Really Got Me
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. Unchained
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

Greeting my friends,

Just got back from Conseco Fieldhouse were I witnessed my first of two shows for the 2012 tour (got tickets for St. Louis as well) .... very impressed. The place was pretty full, fans of all ages and the Mighty Van Halen brought it.

I know a lot of you have been worried about Dave's headset, but it didn't really seem noticeable to me tonight. He sang great live and was entertaining as always.

Eddie was on his game, Alex was a beast as usual and Wolfgang .... man, that kid takes a lot of grief around here sometimes, but he is one hell of a musician. His backing vocals on Girl Gone Bad were outstanding. (no they weren't "piped in", I was watching him like a hawk on that tune and I'm a musician so I could spot B.S. vocals or air bass. It's time to put the conspiracy theories to rest finally.)

Of course the other surprise (as you all know by now) was "Hear About it Later" ... great to hear that tune live, one of my favorites, Fair Warning being my favorite VH album.

Only drawbacks I can think of ... Dave did change the melody line and sing out of his range a bit on Dance the Night Away (as others have noted him doing at other shows), but I think it sounds worse on YouTube than it does live. And the show lost a little momentum during the new material, especially China Town ... I don't think they knock that one out of the park just yet and the average fan just doesn't recognize it. I know many of you were would like to hear more from ADKOT but I think they are doing the best they can with the set list while keeping the energy/pace of the show up.

Overall, it was a great experience. If you're a hardcore fan (and why would you be reading the Links if you aren't), do yourself a favor and pick up some tickets on the day of the show. Great seats were available tonight at face value, so anyone on the fence should just go. You won't be disappointed, they are doing a great job.

Gonna hit the sack, Thanks to all the guys on the board who update us when we can't make it to the show and who make this place so much fun for fans.

Long live the Mighty VH

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Default All I can say is wow!

Just walked in the door from the show and wow! The boys didn't dissappoint. Dave was very fired up to be back home in Indiana. I saw in another show thread that some people were upset that Dave didn't do much on stage other than his vaudville act. Well tonight he was jump kicking his ass off! Back kicks, front kicks you name it. Ed was on fire as he has been from the beginning of this jaugernaut, and was spot on all night. I can also say, I have never seen anyone and I mean anyone as happy as he appeared to be tonight. He was all smiles and grins everywhere. The dude is just in top form and thrilled to be back on stage and playing with his family.

As far as the set list, it was pretty much standard until...wait for it....Ed began the intro to Hear About It Later and I promptly shit my pants! I was prepared to hear Women and Outa Love since the played GGB Monday night. All I can say is they played it freakin perfectly! Wolf freaking jammed the bass breakout right before the solo while Ed was pointing at him and getting the crowd fired up for him. Awesome moment. Ed then proceeded to rip the solo note for note spot on. Amazing is all I can say! Dave even sang the song right and didn't screw up the words like he did on Romeo Delight this evening but even then the band laughed their ass off when he dropped his trademark " I forgot the fuckin words.."

As if that wasn't a treat enough, they played WIL and played GGB again tonight! I couldn't believe it! It was perfect spot on too. After these guys mixed it up tonight I am not even going to begin to complain about I'll Wait or Pretty Woman other than to say that they threw out Mean Street for HAIL which if I were to lodge a complaint it would be that I would rather they threw one of the aforementioned out for Mean Street, but hey I am thrilled with what I got tonight.

All I can say is if you get the chance to go, please do yourself a favor and do so. They are playing on another level, digging into the vault for some deep cuts that we have been dreaming about here for years. I had the pleasure of sitting by a father and son from Ohio who put in over 4 hours to get here and they were so happy to be together and seeing the show. We were all high fives when HAIL intro started!

The only downer of the night was that I was sitting in a section of seemingly really hard to please and not into it fans. Of the entire section only a handful of us stood from start to finish with the majority sitting on their fat asses! When Ed tapped out the intro to GGB, I turned around and the fuckers were all sitting there and I motioned for them to stand the fuck up and said words to that effect and they all just looked at me like I was an alien! Oh well fuck 'em, their loss cause this show was a keeper!

Like most have posted, the guys kept a brisk pace all night, playing 24 tunes and solos and it clocked in just under 2 hours. They just kicked ass and played their ass off.

I also really enjoyed Dave's intro to Ice cream Man with the bit about his dogs and the accompanyment of the video- super cool. Al's solo was short but great and Ed's was also very much to the point but with purpose and he hit all the highlights.

Again go see it, you won't be dissappointed. They have done their part with a new record, kick ass show and set list and are in top form. Now you do your part and go see it!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Query for the reviewers. Did the crowd seem to understand or recognize the significance of Hear about it Later because I am afraid that if they do not get a good crowd reaction they may be not playing these deeper cuts later in the tour.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from Indy, boys and girls. And let me tell you, wow, what a show!

Now, maybe I'm a little biased here, but the crowd really seemed to be much more into the show here in Indy than what I saw from the videos of Auburn Hills and Louisville. Conseco Fieldhouse (I refuse to call it Bankers Life. What a dumb name) was rockin' it out hardcore. You could tell that there were a lot of hardcore fans there because it started to get seriously rowdy when they broke out into Everybody Wants Some! and Hear About It Later.

Ed - What more can by said about the man? He's back, 100%, no doubt about it. He played flawlessly and you could easily tell that he was having much more fun up there than he was from the past couple of tours.

Al - Nothing to add here. He was as strong and steady as usual.

Wolfgang - This kid can downright play. Period. He was all over it tonight. I like his style too. He's tuned his stage presence perfectly. He's active -- moving around and smiling -- but he also stays in the background just enough to let Dave and Ed carry the show.

Dave - Wow is an understatement. I'll admit, I was a little worried after seeing the videos from the first two shows, but damn was he on his game tonight! The only hiccup in his performance was DTNA. Other than that, he sounded amazing. Not only that, but he was MUCH more active tonight. There was less Vegas and more classic DLR. He was jumping, kicking and he even pulled off some vintage DLR high pitched screams (and nailed them). Whatever he changed for tonight's show in regards to his voice, he needs to stick with it!

All in all, it was an A+ show. I have zero complaints. Even Pretty Woman sounded damn good, and I wasn't really looking forward to it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Just got back from Indy, boys and girls. And let me tell you, wow, what a show!

Now, maybe I'm a little biased here, but the crowd really seemed to be much more into the show here in Indy than what I saw from the videos of Auburn Hills and Louisville. Conseco Fieldhouse (I refuse to call it Bankers Life. What a dumb name) was rockin' it out hardcore. You could tell that there were a lot of hardcore fans there because it started to get seriously rowdy when they broke out into Everybody Wants Some! and Hear About It Later.

Ed - What more can by said about the man? He's back, 100%, no doubt about it. He played flawlessly and you could easily tell that he was having much more fun up there than he was from the past couple of tours.

Al - Nothing to add here. He was as strong and steady as usual.

Wolfgang - This kid can downright play. Period. He was all over it tonight. I like his style too. He's tuned his stage presence perfectly. He's active -- moving around and smiling -- but he also stays in the background just enough to let Dave and Ed carry the show.

Dave - Wow is an understatement. I'll admit, I was a little worried after seeing the videos from the first two shows, but damn was he on his game tonight! The only hiccup in his performance was DTNA. Other than that, he sounded amazing. Not only that, but he was MUCH more active tonight. There was less Vegas and more classic DLR. He was jumping, kicking and he even pulled off some vintage DLR high pitched screams (and nailed them). Whatever he changed for tonight's show in regards to his voice, he needs to stick with it!

All in all, it was an A+ show. I have zero complaints. Even Pretty Woman sounded damn good, and I wasn't really looking forward to it.
    Awesome Wray. Can't fucking wait.

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Back in Bloomington, trying to recover from this amazing show.

Perhaps the biggest highlight was hearing Hear About It Later. China Town ends, and here I am expecting Mean Street to kick in, and then BAM comes the intro to HAIL. Naturally I started cheering my head off, pretty sure I blew out my voice on that alone, it was quite surreal. I was able to get a bunch of it on video and was able to share it with you guys, who weren't there! Here's hoping they keep this one around!

Overall the Band seemed quite good tonight. Dave, was pretty good, better than I had expected. He really loved the fact that he was back in Indiana. Al was, well Al. So underrated, but so damn good. Wolf was great as well. His backing vocals were great, and I really love how his Bass sounds this tour. It's heavy, and its in your face, both tonally and playing style wise. I really wish I could have had the chance to meet Wolfgang. We are both the same age and he seems like a guy I good get along.

As for Eddie. What more is there to say? He was simply amazing, making it look so damn easy to play the way he does. His solo was great, his tone was great, and he had a smile on his face all night!

While there were some songs I didn't really care to hear (I'll Wait, Pretty Woman) I was surprised at how many people really got into those. I mean I'll Wait got a lot of people going!

Another highlight of the show was seeing the crowd sing Women in Love. It's considered to be a deep cut I guess, and I was pretty damn surprised at how many people were singing along with the chorus. Great stuff.

I really hope we hear more from the band as we go along. More tours, more albums, whatever! They are too good not to! The only thing I'd like is more representation from ADKOT. Blood and Fire, Stay Frosty (though crowd loved the hell out of Ice Cream Man), Outta Space, Big River, Beats Workin', You and Your Blues, all would be great! Personally I'd like HBSD and As Is up there too, but they might be a tad bit too heavy, haha. I think Blood and Fire would blow up as a single if they shot a video for it like the one the Foo Fighters did for These Days, and like the old stuff they did for Panama where it has live footage, and hijinks from the tour.

anyways, Kickass show! Can't wait to see more!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.09.17 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow.
    That's all I can say.
    7:00am the next morning and my ears are still ringing. (rock)
    I was absolutely impressed with last night' show.
    I never thought I would hear HAIL in concert.
    And GGB was smokin'!
    Dave had a few of his wandering moments, but otherwise seemed on.
    The band was SUPER TIGHT!
    I really think the best thing was the total confidence in Ed on this tour.
    No more wondering at the start of a song... "Oh, I wonder how well he will pull this off."
    Every song, you know he's going to nail it!
    He looks like he's having so much fun up there.
    Al was solid, and awesome as usual.
    And Wolf was equally solid. Good vocals from him and he is a DAMN good player!
    I looked around and the place seemed full to me from where I was standing down on the floor.
    Obviously they don't sell the seats off to the side or behind the stage.
    All in all, this was my 7th time seeing the band an I can say it was the best so far.
    If you are undecided about going to see them on this tour, I highly recommend it.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psrajam91 View Post
    While there were some songs I didn't really care to hear (I'll Wait, Pretty Woman) I was surprised at how many people really got into those. I mean I'll Wait got a lot of people going!

Another highlight of the show was seeing the crowd sing Women in Love. It's considered to be a deep cut I guess, and I was pretty damn surprised at how many people were singing along with the chorus. Great stuff.
    Great review!!!!! I was listening to the boot from Dime and was surprised to hear a great response to the intro of HAIL...Sounds like a decent amount of the crowd was psyched to hear that one!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack...Pick One!
    Favorite VH Song

Lil Gtrs,GirlGB,WinLove,RomDe
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Long Live The Mighty Van Halen!!!

I attended both the Louisville and Indy shows...had upper deck, center stage, back of the arena for Louisville and Club level, Wolfs side, right in front of the stage for Indy. I must state the obvious, sitting that close totally changes the show!

First off...the sound for this tour is AMAZING! I have been to well over 400 shows in my 41 years and I have NEVER heard a hard rock act in an arena sound so loud, but so clean and clear. Hats off to the entire production team! Stellar Job!

Most of the things have already been stated in other reviews so I wont restate those items...i.e. song selection from ADKOT, Pretty Woman, etc...we all know where we stand with those topics.

All I can say is that as a hard core Van Halen freak, that LOVES the new record...in two shows I got Women in Love twice, Outta Love Again, Girl Gone Bad and Hear About It Later!!! Along with all the usual suspects, 4 new songs and most importantly, a HAPPY, HEALTHY, ASS-KICKIN', King of the Six String, Edward Van Halen playing his ass off! More than I ever expected! I can now officially die a happy Van Halen fan!

The Indy crowd seemed to be MUCH more into the whole show than in Louisville. More singing and cheering...esp on the deep cuts! I felt like I was surrounded by more of 'me' at this show.

Dave was MUCH better in Indy. Although I will say what you see on YT vids, you dont notice when you are there live. I came home from Louisville and watched the vids and heard things I never noticed during the show. I know the video doesnt lie...just saying in the moment, with all thats going on, his off notes arent really noticeable live. I've said all along, if you are going to a VH show to pay attention to how well Dave hits notes...you are simply missing the point.

Eddie seemed a little off during his solo. Not horrible by any stretch. But during Cathedral, he just never seemed to really nail it. Even right after it he looked off stage and yelled something to the sound guy...hard to tell, but it sure looked like he said "I fucked that up!" It looked as if he was having a hard time seeing his pedal board through the smoke??? Didnt matter though...he is the King and to watch him play for 8 minutes is always a highlight.

Alex is the shit. As a drummer, I marvel at this guy. He never misses a beat. Always so solid and his feel is back to that early 80's feel he seemed to lose during that one era. As solid as they come when it comes to rock drumming. A Master.

Wolf...this kid is the future of Van Halen. Incredible talent. So improved from the 07/08 tour. His presence on stage is so fun to watch now. He looks like he belongs in VH!!! His vocals are KILLER and his playing is top notch! From our view in Indy we could see behind Al's drum kit and during Eds solo, Wolf, Uncle Alex and Dave were all back there hugging, laughing and cutting up! Was cool to see it happen out of the spot light. One of the best moments for me personally.

Uncle Dave...the master of ceremonies. He was on his game in Indy. His kicks were back. The headset mic was not an issue to me AT ALL. Didnt even notice it. It seemed rather natural. His banter is waaay down on this tour and i think that is a good thing. Its just hear we are and this is what we do...hope you like. He seems to very genuine with it all. He always loves coming home to Indiana and that was not lost this time around. He mentioned it a few times to HUGE applause obviously. He got in a couple of great lines though...one was after an ending he said "You now regardless what you think of these songs, those endings are the most kick ass in rock n roll! I could listen to them all night long!" And then after Girl Gone Bad he said "Whats black and white and falls down the stairs? The drummer in Van Halen!!!" Obviously referring to the drum fill that ends GGB...classic Dave in a Classic moment! He is my hero and it is so good to see him back where he belongs...as the greatest front man of the greatest rock band in the world!

The video for Indy was MUCH improved over Louisville. Not so much stock footage and more live shots. I think they are listening to you all!!!

I want to say I dont read the links prior to the show...in case a song is sound checked, I want to be surprised...so when Edward kicked into the opening notes of Hear About It Later last night...I fucking freaked out!!! I honestly didnt know what to do. I screamed like a little girl! Ha! Same feeling I had opening night when he played Women In Love...and then to have GGB last night as well...thats some of my VH Holy Grail right there, my friends. I lost my fucking mind! Pure fucking magic!

If you are on the fence about this tour, or troubled with economic hardships...make it happen. Its well worth it.

To wrap it up...How does the over used saying go...$400 in tix, $150 in merchandise, $70 in hotel rooms, $200 in cocktails and food, $80 in parking and gas...seeing Van Halen RAWK my face off with some of my best friends and the love of my life...TWICE...FUCKING PRICELESS!!!

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimithing5150 View Post
    I attended both the Louisville and Indy shows...had upper deck, center stage, back of the arena for Louisville and Club level, Wolfs side, right in front of the stage for Indy. I must state the obvious, sitting that close totally changes the show!

First off...the sound for this tour is AMAZING! I have been to well over 400 shows in my 41 years and I have NEVER heard a hard rock act in an arena sound so loud, but so clean and clear. Hats off to the entire production team! Stellar Job!

Most of the things have already been stated in other reviews so I wont restate those items...i.e. song selection from ADKOT, Pretty Woman, etc...we all know where we stand with those topics.

All I can say is that as a hard core Van Halen freak, that LOVES the new record...in two shows I got Women in Love twice, Outta Love Again, Girl Gone Bad and Hear About It Later!!! Along with all the usual suspects, 4 new songs and most importantly, a HAPPY, HEALTHY, ASS-KICKIN', King of the Six String, Edward Van Halen playing his ass off! More than I ever expected! I can now officially die a happy Van Halen fan!

The Indy crowd seemed to be MUCH more into the whole show than in Louisville. More singing and cheering...esp on the deep cuts! I felt like I was surrounded by more of 'me' at this show.

Dave was MUCH better in Indy. Although I will say what you see on YT vids, you dont notice when you are there live. I came home from Louisville and watched the vids and heard things I never noticed during the show. I know the video doesnt lie...just saying in the moment, with all thats going on, his off notes arent really noticeable live. I've said all along, if you are going to a VH show to pay attention to how well Dave hits notes...you are simply missing the point.

Eddie seemed a little off during his solo. Not horrible by any stretch. But during Cathedral, he just never seemed to really nail it. Even right after it he looked off stage and yelled something to the sound guy...hard to tell, but it sure looked like he said "I fucked that up!" It looked as if he was having a hard time seeing his pedal board through the smoke??? Didnt matter though...he is the King and to watch him play for 8 minutes is always a highlight.

Alex is the shit. As a drummer, I marvel at this guy. He never misses a beat. Always so solid and his feel is back to that early 80's feel he seemed to lose during that one era. As solid as they come when it comes to rock drumming. A Master.

Wolf...this kid is the future of Van Halen. Incredible talent. So improved from the 07/08 tour. His presence on stage is so fun to watch now. He looks like he belongs in VH!!! His vocals are KILLER and his playing is top notch! From our view in Indy we could see behind Al's drum kit and during Eds solo, Wolf, Uncle Alex and Dave were all back there hugging, laughing and cutting up! Was cool to see it happen out of the spot light. One of the best moments for me personally.

Uncle Dave...the master of ceremonies. He was on his game in Indy. His kicks were back. The headset mic was not an issue to me AT ALL. Didnt even notice it. It seemed rather natural. His banter is waaay down on this tour and i think that is a good thing. Its just hear we are and this is what we do...hope you like. He seems to very genuine with it all. He always loves coming home to Indiana and that was not lost this time around. He mentioned it a few times to HUGE applause obviously. He got in a couple of great lines though...one was after an ending he said "You now regardless what you think of these songs, those endings are the most kick ass in rock n roll! I could listen to them all night long!" And then after Girl Gone Bad he said "Whats black and white and falls down the stairs? The drummer in Van Halen!!!" Obviously referring to the drum fill that ends GGB...classic Dave in a Classic moment! He is my hero and it is so good to see him back where he belongs...as the greatest front man of the greatest rock band in the world!

The video for Indy was MUCH improved over Louisville. Not so much stock footage and more live shots. I think they are listening to you all!!!

I want to say I dont read the links prior to the show...in case a song is sound checked, I want to be surprised...so when Edward kicked into the opening notes of Hear About It Later last night...I fucking freaked out!!! I honestly didnt know what to do. I screamed like a little girl! Ha! Same feeling I had opening night when he played Women In Love...and then to have GGB last night as well...thats some of my VH Holy Grail right there, my friends. I lost my fucking mind! Pure fucking magic!

If you are on the fence about this tour, or troubled with economic hardships...make it happen. Its well worth it.

To wrap it up...How does the over used saying go...$400 in tix, $150 in merchandise, $70 in hotel rooms, $200 in cocktails and food, $80 in parking and gas...seeing Van Halen RAWK my face off with some of my best friends and the love of my life...TWICE...FUCKING PRICELESS!!!

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!
    great review. if i wasn't excited enough for my first show of the tour tomorrow night, your post made me even more so.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE