Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_279 View Post
    Bought the Van Halen A-Z tab book off amazon.

Awesome.

Really all they did was compile the previous tab books into one book.

But they also have 316 Live tabbed out....the RHRN version, as well as the 3 Best Of Vol 1 new songs, Respect the Wind, and the live version of Won't Get Fooled again.

Its about 1100 pages. The print is easy to read (don't listen to reviews that same the print is really small and hard to make out, as I have no problem reading it).

I would suggest it to anyone that uses tabs. It's like, 36.00 for the entire Van Halen catalogue, including VH3 (there are some badass riffs on that album, whether you liked Cherone or not).
    This book is awesome. Have had it for a few months. I do have to agree about the small print, though. It's nearly impossible to differentiate between a 5,6, and 8 in many spots.

Anyone know of a live tab of Top Of The World from RHRN?? I googled with no luck.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.26.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Black and Blue

I am learning how to play back and blue, but can't seem to get the solo bit right just before the echo bit. I was wondering if there are any tricks to move down the B string. I watched a few youtube examples and it looks like a series of taps and hammer ons. Some tab has a tap, slide, and pulloff.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

What do you guys do for the first lick of the Poundcake solo? The tabs everywhere are wrong and even lessons on youtube look off.....not the correct number of harmonics from what I can tell.

Any suggestions?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

04.26.19 @ 03:15 AM
    Liked 24,776 Times in 12,494 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    What do you guys do for the first lick of the Poundcake solo? The tabs everywhere are wrong and even lessons on youtube look off.....not the correct number of harmonics from what I can tell.

Any suggestions?
    Pat the guitarist on the back and say "good luck".

And then I ride the shit out of E, F#, A and B sixteenth notes on my bass while he is doing it.

Does that help?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Last Online

03.23.19 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 256 Posts

Any suggestions?
    I learned it by watching Ed. The MTV awards are better than RHRN if I remember correctly. He often plays things a little differently live, but it's helpful to see what he did. I look at a lot of tab and say, no way Ed played it like that. Then see them live or nowadays find a YT clip and I'm always right. After a while you get to know how he plays what chords. Position and such. I haven't played Poundcake in years so I would watch him play it to relearn and I'd watch the MTV Awards. Sorry if I'm not very helpful. This is just how I'd do it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

04.26.19 @ 04:15 AM
    Liked 6,166 Times in 3,188 Posts

Any suggestions?
    To me it always sounded like his patented bend something on the G string, tap 7 and 9 frets above it. Sort of like Black and Blue. When I played it a couple of years ago, I figured something close but can't remember what I played. I figured he is doing it on the Poundcake video so that must be close to what he played.

Last Online

Yes. G string. 4th fret bend. Not his usual 5 or 7 fret bend. Same thing though. Wanna say tap, 8 and 10 frets. shit let me get a guitar and play it. I'll be back...

Last Online

Bend that 4th fret. Hold it. Tap and pull, off 9 I think. Release bend but hold note. Tap harmonics 9 and 11 frets bending that 4th around to get the pitches Ed hits. Just looked, tab is WAY off! Now I gotta go watch the MTV awards vid to relearn the whole thing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 1,396 Times in 442 Posts

Enjoy.

KBD3

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 236 Times in 104 Posts

Does anyone have a good tab for Light up the Sky? I'm good up until :30 in...I watch my television. That chord progression I can't quite get. I've watched a number of youtube lessons but they seem off and the power tab I have seems off too. Watching Eddie live he's playing up around the 7th fret at this point. I'm hearing a Bsus4 chord followed by I don't know what, everyone seems to say an Em but it doesn't sound right when I try that. How do you guys play it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.26.19 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 15,726 Times in 6,834 Posts

Default VH Tablature

I've always played it with the B and then Em. I'll roll into the B with an A before it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

I watched Ed play it in his Stealth head demo. Love the Internet! He plays three note power chords at the 7th fret. A string. Then e string. So same notes. Different position from the tab. I'm used to the tab version and like the open strings on the e chord. Check the vid. But you gotta be fast. It goes by quick.

Good Enough
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 236 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    I watched Ed play it in his Stealth head demo. Love the Internet! He plays three note power chords at the 7th fret. A string. Then e string. So same notes. Different position from the tab. I'm used to the tab version and like the open strings on the e chord. Check the vid. But you gotta be fast. It goes by quick.
    I forgot about that, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

04.26.19 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,584 Times in 839 Posts

Premium Member

Gotta work out how he does the breakdown part, he seems to play it all around the 7th fret area, where i'm all up and down the neck trying to keep up with myself and it's too hard, for me, to get it smooth.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Gotta work out how he does the breakdown part, he seems to play it all around the 7th fret area, where i'm all up and down the neck trying to keep up with myself and it's too hard, for me, to get it smooth.
    Yeah. I Think I got it from the tab. Never really sounded right. I don't think he moves to the 2nd and 4th frets. I think he stays at that 7th position. From the isolated tracks it sounds closer to me. Pulling off to the open strings for the single note lick seems more like what Ed would do. Luckily he is playing it so eventually we'll get a decent YT clip to see what he really does. Speaking of which...

I've been waiting my entire adult life to learn Drop Dead Legs the right way! Tab says use whammy bar. Which sounds closest when I play it. But we know he used the Flying V. So no trem bar. Trying to play it with bends like I assumed he did never really sounded as close as I want to get. Now I see him playing it! Looks like a bend at the 3rd fret A string then a slide to the 5th fret! Maybe. Maybe a pull off from the 5th to the 3rd then the slide back up to the 5th. Again better video will surface. But at least I got an idea of how he plays it. I've always thought we should interview Ed. Whittle the questions down to top ten. Show us how to play DDL. How many songs on 5150 are the Steinberger(I say more than we think)? What really is the pickup in the 5150 Kramer from LWAN era. And don't say a '59. That bs. Did the Shark have stock pickups on VH I? I think so. Anyway DDL would have been my number one question. Time to go practice it!