Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default Ed's solos thread.

I came across this video and noticed that Ed started his solo off with doing his fast picking. I wonder if he saw this video and decided to do it again?

Both solo's have been great!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't know he could still do the fan-picking thing. It seemed like that went away around "Balance"...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post
    I didn't know he could still do the fan-picking thing. It seemed like that went away around "Balance"...
    Then I guess you never saw any clips of Ed during the III Tour in 1998. The argument could be made that Ed was at his best on that tour. His best since 78, even.

In regards to his solos, I doubt they will vary much from night to night. Maybe as the tour goes on he adds a few licks we might know, here and there, but after watching his solos from both nights they are pretty much exactly the same. I don't see that changing.

I don't think Ed really cares for playing his solo anymore. Hence why he is essentially going through the motions and playing the stuff we want quickly.

I'm still pumped to see his solo live. Ed's at the best he's been at in a long ass time and to hear his solo live will be a huge treat. 2004 I never really heard Ed play Eruption. In Toronto I was too close to the stage to hear much of anything and in Hamilton he was too drunk.

In 2007 he was great, but it was nothing compared to what I'm seeing now. He looks focused and ON, now.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Then I guess you never saw any clips of Ed during the III Tour in 1998. The argument could be made that Ed was at his best on that tour. His best since 78, even.

In regards to his solos, I doubt they will vary much from night to night. Maybe as the tour goes on he adds a few licks we might know, here and there, but after watching his solos from both nights they are pretty much exactly the same. I don't see that changing.

I don't think Ed really cares for playing his solo anymore. Hence why he is essentially going through the motions and playing the stuff we want quickly.

I'm still pumped to see his solo live. Ed's at the best he's been at in a long ass time and to hear his solo live will be a huge treat. 2004 I never really heard Ed play Eruption. In Toronto I was too close to the stage to hear much of anything and in Hamilton he was too drunk.

In 2007 he was great, but it was nothing compared to what I'm seeing now. He looks focused and ON, now.
    I want to shatter that myth. I think '98 is when Ed started his spiral. Combine his diminishing skills with that damn metal pick and it was a mess. It was my least favorite era aside from '04 - - '09. It was not even close to '78.

Ed was shredding in '95.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post
    Even historically, Eddie really only used the fan picking for the tremolo picking runs on one string (like the trem spot in Eruption, HFT solo, etc). It makes the sound more aggressive with the angle of attack as well as maxing out the speed that he doesn't have to time with corresponding left-hand fingerings. He always "shortens his stroke" when doing multi-string runs, first because he has to mute the strings and he needs to slow it down just a bit so the left-hand notes are articulated precisely and clearly.

Except from 04 - 09, he's always done these trem picking runs with "the fan."

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

I would like to see him actually incorporate 'Spoonful' with the bandtback into his solo spots every now and again on this tour. Especially at venues with two nights. Mix it up Ed! Don't let your solo go stale, tip your hat to the music that inspired you!

That'd rock my world.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    I would like to see him actually incorporate 'Spoonful' with the bandtback into his solo spots every now and again on this tour. Especially at venues with two nights. Mix it up Ed! Don't let your solo go stale, tip your hat to the music that inspired you!

That'd rock my world.
    Have you heard or seen the blues titans versions of Spoonful from 07/08? Leave it to Van Halen to send up the coolest, frostiest, mos badass, and heaviest versions of that ol blooze warhorse!¡

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    Have you heard or seen the blues titans versions of Spoonful from 07/08? Leave it to Van Halen to send up the coolest, frostiest, mos badass, and heaviest versions of that ol blooze warhorse!¡

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
    Got a link??

Favorite VH Album

all of the dave era
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts

He's slowly coming around. Still nowhere near where he was from 81-88.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Even historically, Eddie really only used the fan picking for the tremolo picking runs on one string (like the trem spot in Eruption, HFT solo, etc). It makes the sound more aggressive with the angle of attack as well as maxing out the speed that he doesn't have to time with corresponding left-hand fingerings. He always "shortens his stroke" when doing multi-string runs, first because he has to mute the strings and he needs to slow it down just a bit so the left-hand notes are articulated precisely and clearly.

Except from 04 - 09, he's always done these trem picking runs with "the fan."
    The two biggest things I remember the fan picking is on "Beat it" at the end and at the end of his solo on LWAN..
    I know he probably used it on every album up to 5150. Now that I think about it he didn't do it 98'-08' (wonder why?)
    But I am glad to see him do it again and that he still can do it.

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:42 AM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

If

As is doesn't make the set list,

could you at least add it to the solo?

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

3:42

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    Got a link??
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    I want to shatter that myth. I think '98 is when Ed started his spiral. Combine his diminishing skills with that damn metal pick and it was a mess. It was my least favorite era aside from '04 - - '09. It was not even close to '78.

Ed was shredding in '95.
    Sorry but it's no myth that Ed was on fire in 98.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but if you listen to any of the boots from that tour and you think that Ed's skills were diminishing then I don't know what to tell you.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Sorry but it's no myth that Ed was on fire in 98.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but if you listen to any of the boots from that tour and you think that Ed's skills were diminishing then I don't know what to tell you.
    MF, you were the one went head on into hyperbole: you said Ed was as good in '98 as he was in '78. Ed wasn't bad in '98, but I do think there was a drop off between then and '95--he still played with speed, but his rhythm and articulation was just a little sloppier, but it was hard to tell how much it had to do with his metal pick.

As I said not bad like '04 - '08, but good heavens, not even a shadow of '78. C'mon man, you know I'm not just talkin' shit 'atcha.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know if Ed is still smoking cigs during the solos. I think that he used to play them with a burning cig at the top of the guitar. Also when he plays the Eruption part does Al play the drums during it