Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 140 Times in 72 Posts

Default I guess Sam has heard the album now...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/bellybutton...139796093.html

If this is a re-post please remove my thread...

Stephen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

There's nothing new there.

He made those statements a while ago.

I don't see how any writer thinks Sam's belly button is a topic worthy of discussion, but to each his own.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Changes Every Hour
    Favorite VH Song

Changes Every Minute
    Last Online

09.30.14 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Free post?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

In before the lock

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 140 Times in 72 Posts

A shame there is no way to remove a thread yourself when your the OP.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 549 Times in 382 Posts

Could have done better?!

Sammy will always be my favorite VH frontman but he needs to let it go.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He should name his bellybutton after some sort of food like he does his wife's genitals.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 1,939 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Its like steak in front of a dog.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The best way to learn how to weave baskets is to join a beginners course where the individual weaving patterns are demonstrated and you have all the resources, tools and expert tuition at your fingertips. Please see my introduction to basketry courses, click here for details.

I will start by introducing some simple terminology...

When looking at the base of a basket, the strong straight sticks that radiate from the centre are called 'Spokes'. When these are turned upwards to form the sides; I then call them 'Stakes'. (These straight structural sticks are traditionally called the 'Warp')
    Any pieces of willow woven between the stakes/ spokes are call 'Weavers' (traditionally known as the 'Weft')

I harvest my own willow for basketry from the countryside. Not all Willow is suitable for basket making; some is too brittle and will snap when bent to the extremes needed for basket making. When I forage for suitable willow in the countryside I simply kink a stem of Willow sharply to 90 degrees and more; if it snaps then it is no good for basketry... continue searching for a different variety. Often the Willow with colourful bark such as reds, purples and oranges are the best types of willow. I do not know any specific variety names, I just know good from bad when I see it.

If you don't have access to collect your own Willow then you can always buy it. Musgrove's Willow is a great company http://www.musgrovewillows.co.uk/ you can get around 700 rods or more for arround £20 including postage.

Once you get your willow, if it is fresh then you will need to Dry it. Baskets made from freshly cut Willow full of sap will shrink and become loose later on. When the willow is dry the bark will have wrinkled slightly.

Before you begin weaving your Willow it will need to be soaked first to make it flexible. If you have willow With the bark on; the soaking can take about 1 week. Most people recommend you then wrap it in a damp blanket and leave it over night to 'mellow'.

You wont need many tools to make a simple basket like this; a knife, a pair of secateurs and maybe an Awl/ Bodkin. I have made baskets in the past with just a knife but the secateurs make life a lot easier!

Cut 8 sections of Willow from thick shoots. Cut them about the length of from your elbow to your fingertips.

At the centre of four of these rods make a split only a few centimetres long.

Insert the normal rods through the centres of the split rods to form a cross; this is called a 'Slath'

(alternate thick and thin ends to make it even)

Rummage through your bundle of Willow and find the thinnest, longest shoots, these will make good weavers for the start. Take two weavers and Insert the thin ends into the split Slath like this...

At the beginning we are going to use a basketry technique called 'Twining'; this is a very simple weave and is useful for locking stakes and spokes in place. The technique involves holding the two weavers and twisting them one over the other so that they swap places. Each twist is always done in the same direction. After each twist the next spoke (or spokes in this occasion) are then put between the two weavers and then next twist is made... thus locking then in place. See the photos... it's really very simple!

Twine around each set of 4 spokes. Make two rows.

Once you have completed two rows of twining around each set of four spokes we will proceed by twining around each individual spoke. Bend each spoke outwards to space them out. Space the spokes evenly, once you've completed one row of twining they should all be separated like a bicycle wheel. Work your way all the way round for a couple more rows.

At some point you will be near to the ends of your weavers and will need to add new ones in. Its best not to add two new weavers in at the same time. look at the photo, in this example I am replacing weaver 'B' with the new Weaver labelled 'A'. I have taken weaver A and sharpened the end, then shoved it down between the weave of the last two rows, then bent it over to follow the path of the old weaver. I can now cut the old weaver (B) off and continue twining around the basket.

When replacing weavers add thick ends to thick ends and thin ends to thin ends.

Replacing the other old weaver a little further around the basket.
    After twining a couple of rows around the spokes we are now going to stop our twine weave and will continue with just a plain weave which involves just weaving one weaver in and out of the spokes. You will continue this type of weave until the base expands to the desired diamiter. However, for this plain type of weave to work correctly we need an odd number of spokes to weave around. we currently have 16 spokes so we need to just add one more in. Simply insert it down between the weavers of the last couple of rows. Sometimes it can be hard to push the new spoke in so point the end and use an Awl to open out a passage before hand. (if you don't have an Awl or Bodkin you could just use a thick metal nail)

cut one of the weavers off and continue to weave in a normal fashion around in and out of the spokes.
    To add new weavers in you can just lie the old one next to the new one and then carry on
    Continue weaving until you have reached the desired diameter. The base at this point is 8 inches in diameter

The base will have probably developed a concave shape... this is is good as it gives a rim for the basket to sit on. You can encourage this formation more during the weaving of the base if you pull the spokes downwards every now and then.
    It's now time to 'stake up' the basket to start forming the sides. For this stage use medium-thick Willow shoots, you'll need one for each spoke. Sharpen the thick end of each.

You now need to insert the new Willow shoots into the weave alongside each of the spokes. If you look at a shoot of Willow you will notice that at the thick end it is slightly curved; insert each shoot so that the concave side is facing downwards.

Cut the ends of the old spokes off level with the edge of the weave.

Now take one of your new stakes and bend it to the left underneath the two next to it, then bend it upwards as shown in the first two photos below. Now take the next stake to the left and bend it in the same way. Continue this procedure all the way around the basket. It can be fiddly to keep all the stakes in place at once but try your best.

(At this stage the stakes can just be bent upwards but bending them in the way described above creates a nice rim for the basket to sit on.)

The last two stakes will have no other stake to be bent up and around; so they need to be threaded up behind those stakes you bent first. Once you've threaded those last two stakes into place; everything will be locked together.

Tie the stakes together at the top to stop them falling all over the place.

Now we can begin to weave the sides of the basket. You can just start the main weave straight after turning the stakes up, but for the purpose of this tutorial we will start with a type of weave called a 'three rod wale'. This type of weave gives a nice border before the start of the main weaving; and also helps to hold the up-turned stakes firmly in position.

To weave a 'three rod wale', insert three new weavers along side three consecutive stakes. Take the left most weaver and bent it to the right in front of the next two stakes, then behind the third; then back out to the front. Now take the next weaver and repeat the same movement; then the next and the next and so on...

Once you've done 2 rows of three rod wale you can stop and untie the stakes at the top.

We can now begin our main weave which will form the rest of the sides to the basket.

We are going to use a type of weave called 'French Randing'. This type of weave is very popular; it creates nice even walls and you can weave considerably fast with a good rhythm.

Firstly, we need to add one weaver in next to every stake around the basket. Choose nice long thin weavers with an equal length. Add the weavers in one by one so that the direction of the growing tip is to the left hand side. Place the butt end behind a stake, now bend it over the next stake to the left, then behind the third stake, then out to the front again. The weaver will hold it's self in place. Now we add the next weaver in, place the butt end behind the next consecutive spoke to the right; weave over the top of the previous weaver in the same fashion. Keep adding weavers in until you have worked your way all the way around the basket.

Now we can start weaving... start with any one of the weavers you just added in and weave it to the left in the same order you did previously: in front; behind; then out to the front again. Then take the next weaver to the right and do the same... that's all there is to it, just keep weaving around the basket.

When you come back around to the point where you started weaving, you will notice that there are two weavers behind two of the stakes instead of just one. You're probably wondering which one to weave first... Weave the ones underneath first, then everything will look back to normal.The photo illustrates that weaver number 1 should be woven first, then number 2.

Now this row of randing is complete, you can continue by taking any one of the weavers and weaving it in the same way as before.
    carry on with your continuous French Randing until you have woven all of the weavers out to their tips. Cut off any surplus ends.

Lock the Randing down with a row of three rod wale...

You can build your basket as high as you wish by continuing with more French randing. One layer of randing should be enough for this type of basket. All we need to do now is bend the stakes down and weave them into a rim. There are many different rim designs which are made by weaving in front and behind different combinations of stakes, I have found that you can even make your own rim designs up...

For this particular pattern... take one of the stakes and bend it down to the right. Take it behind the first two consecutive stakes; in front of the third and fourth stakes; then behind the fifth stake; then back out to the front. Now take the next stake standing to the right and repeat the same weaving order.

The last couple of stakes will have insufficient upright stakes in front of them to weave around. However, just repeat the same weaving pattern but you'll have to thread the tip in and out of the border to achieve the same movement and pattern.

Finally cut the long tips off flush with the side of the basket.

If you don't need a handle; the basket is now complete! Well done!
    If you wish to add a handle; keep on reading...

To form the main structure of the handle you'll need a thick flexible rod of Willow or other suitable wood; I'm using Dogwood. Bend it over and work out how long you want the handle to be, then cut it to length. Sharpen the ends and shove them down into the weave of the basket at directly opposite sides.

Now take 4 or 5 long medium-thick stems of Willow and insert these down into the weave alongside one end of the handle.
    Wrap these rods around the thick handle frame several times until you reach the other side. Thread the tips under the woven rim of the basket.

Repeat the last stage working over from the other side to fill in the gap.
    Take those tips and pull them up tight against the side of the handle. Then insert a thin stem of willow down into the weave alongside.

Bend this new piece of willow over and start wrapping it around those tips to lock them in place. after several wraps, secure the end as shown in the pictures.

Finally trim off the tip ends.
    Basket Complete! the one in the centre is made entirely from Blackberry brambles. To see how to prepare blackberry brambles for basketry; see my old basketry article: click here

If you got this far; well done!

Please send a donation
    if you find my articles helpful

It's quick and easy!

Basketry Courses- Introduction to Wicker basketry course- Warwickshire- Midlands
    A full day of basketry with expert tuition. All materials and tools provided.
    This course has been designed to guide total beginners step by step through each stage of the basket making process making it easy to understand.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    There's nothing new there.

He made those statements a while ago.

I don't see how any writer thinks Sam's belly button is a topic worthy of discussion, but to each his own.
    Well it IS a big belly button.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My cat's name is Mittens.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Joy Behar is an insufferable cunt.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FREE POST