Register
    Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Default Does anyone here have a union job?

Please, PLEASE, can we revert from having this turn into a political discussion? Thanks in advance.
    I have to admit ignorance here, I have literally no education on the subject. In fact, one of my former co-workers was allegedly fired for bringing up the word union in his place of employment.
    I'm considering looking for a truck driving job in a unionized lumberyard. Everything looks wonderful on paper, of course, but I'm a little skeptical and afraid to jump in being naive. How much in dues are owed normally? What is union all about? I appreciate your thoughts and help.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to work in the office for a lumber yard and the drivers/ yard workers were all union Teamsters. they were all the most miserable people I've ever met in my life. I ended up leaving that job after a year due to the negativity of everyone there. A lot of the Teamsters were former Marines and I 'd have to say they were the biggest whining, complaining pussies I ever met. If it was raining, snowing or hot outside the whining would increase ten fold. You wouldn't think a big, bad, tough Teamster Marine would be such a pussy, but they were the worst. I don't know anything about the union, but my experience working with them was pretty bad.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by okrw View Post
    I used to work in the office for a lumber yard and the drivers/ yard workers were all union Teamsters. they were all the most miserable people I've ever met in my life. I ended up leaving that job after a year due to the negativity of everyone there.
    I agree with you completely because my yard wasn't union and I went to go pick up material at a union yard - they made me sit for an hour (I truly believe for no reason.) I agree they are miserable, but if I'm on the road and I don't have to babysit the whiners, I can deal. I can't stand for laziness though, and that is the one thing that bothers me. I am proud to say I was raised to have good work ethic, and when I'm paid to do a job, I want to do it and get it done. I don't understand the mentality behind the union shops that have guys that do nothing. The opportunity to make $10/hr more than I am now has me thinking, though. Thanks for the reply.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty