Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

07.30.15 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hagar era Japan masters

Does anyone own the Hagar era Japan masters,that were issued 08/05 under the series name ''Forever Young''? How is the sonic quality compared to the original U.S. redbook cd issues? They are still available (including Balance with the bonus track) at CDJapan,and I was considering ordering them if there is a significant upgrade.The thread ''Warner remaster for Hagar era'' got me on this initially,but I didn't want my reply to go unnoticed by people here that actually own these.
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

04.06.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes these are Japanese MASTERS. Not remasters. These were just re-releases from the original Japanese masters. Japanese pressings are generally better and they probably take better care of their original masters, but nothing was actually changed or RE-mastered. They also re-released Eat 'Em 'An Smile and Skyscraper. I have these 'Forever Young Masters' and there is not much difference from my original USA releases. Maybe a bit clearer but nothing to write home about...not for the cost anyhow.
    "I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer."

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Just louder not remastered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The only adventures I regret are the ones I missed" David Lee Roth

Van Halen- Atlanta - 98
    David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    David Lee Roth. Atlanta - 03
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 04
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 08
    Chickenfoot - Atlanta - 09

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcantafio View Post
    Yes these are Japanese MASTERS. Not remasters. These were just re-releases from the original Japanese masters. Japanese pressings are generally better and they probably take better care of their original masters, but nothing was actually changed or RE-mastered. They also re-released Eat 'Em 'An Smile and Skyscraper. I have these 'Forever Young Masters' and there is not much difference from my original USA releases. Maybe a bit clearer but nothing to write home about...not for the cost anyhow.
    Just louder not remastered
    Thanks for that,sounds like I will not be pulling the trigger.
    Clanceman

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clance65 View Post
    Thanks for that,sounds like I will not be pulling the trigger.
    I have all 5 (5150-VH3), and for my money, they were worth every penny. I swear they are remasters since I have imported the US releases as .wav files and applied gain to them to match the Japan versions, and the two versions sound completely different. The Japan versions of 5150 and OU812, to my ears, destroyed the up-gained US versions in both the EQ levels and sound quality. Also, as far as I can tell, this particular series was NOT a repressing of earlier Japan releases. The mastering sounds very similar to the Six Pack 2000 remasters, but with better preserved dynamics.

I spent about $125 to get all 5 discs. My wife thought I was crazy, but every time a song from 5150 and OU812 comes up in my shuffle, I giggle at how good they now sound compared with how pissed I used to get when all I had was the US versions. In sum, to me it was worth every penny and I have not regretted the purchase for even a second.

Hope it helps!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I clearly remember them being called remasters by people here and saying they sounded worlds better. I don't think it's the ones being linked to in a different thread...and didn't they have a box set of the Sam era too? Not sure if the the box set were remasters as well. Sorry I don't remember the people who bought them or where and when they got them. Someone must know. Not mentioning it to give false hope. People were talking about it here, I'm certain of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I clearly remember them being called remasters by people here and saying they sounded worlds better. I don't think it's the ones being linked to in a different thread...and didn't they have a box set of the Sam era too? Not sure if the the box set were remasters as well. Sorry I don't remember the people who bought them or where and when they got them. Someone must know. Not mentioning it to give false hope. People were talking about it here, I'm certain of it.
    Like I said, I have the actual discs, and to my ears, 5150 and OU812 sound like true remasters. Got mine from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

The versions I have are:

WPCR-75068 = 5150
    WCPR-75069 = OU812
    WCPR-75070 = For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    WPCR-75071 = Balance (with Crossing Over)
    WPCR-75072 = 3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    I have all 5 (5150-VH3), and for my money, they were worth every penny. I swear they are remasters since I have imported the US releases as .wav files and applied gain to them to match the Japan versions, and the two versions sound completely different. The Japan versions of 5150 and OU812, to my ears, destroyed the up-gained US versions in both the EQ levels and sound quality. Also, as far as I can tell, this particular series was NOT a repressing of earlier Japan releases. The mastering sounds very similar to the Six Pack 2000 remasters, but with better preserved dynamics.

I spent about $125 to get all 5 discs. My wife thought I was crazy, but every time a song from 5150 and OU812 comes up in my shuffle, I giggle at how good they now sound compared with how pissed I used to get when all I had was the US versions. In sum, to me it was worth every penny and I have not regretted the purchase for even a second.

Hope it helps!
    Alrighty then...Im closed and an owner,love CDJapan,did you get the cardboard sleeve mini lp six pack they just reissued? They're from the 2000 remasters,but the mini lps are a cool collectible.Thanks for the feedback,buying them now!
    Clanceman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I thought they were remasters - heck, they sounded like remasters - but they were just remixed (re-eq'ed and louder). Still, they sound great compared to the US versions.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Clance65 View Post
    Alrighty then...Im closed and an owner,love CDJapan,did you get the cardboard sleeve mini lp six pack they just reissued? They're from the 2000 remasters,but the mini lps are a cool collectible.Thanks for the feedback,buying them now!
    Sweet! If you want to save some dough, start with 5150 and OU812 since those have the most dramatic improvements. Unlawful and Balance sound only marginally different. Balance does have Crossing Over though, so that's a plus. VH3 is somewhat louder, which actually helps it slightly except that it also accentuates that damn buzz and hum that wreaks itself through half of the tracks. Seriously can't figure out why someone thought that was a good idea.

Haven't picked up those mini LP's yet... do you have any pics?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    I thought they were remasters - heck, they sounded like remasters - but they were just remixed (re-eq'ed and louder). Still, they sound great compared to the US versions.
    I'm convinced they are remasters regardless of what others say.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    Sweet! If you want to save some dough, start with 5150 and OU812 since those have the most dramatic improvements. Unlawful and Balance sound only marginally different. Balance does have Crossing Over though, so that's a plus. VH3 is somewhat louder, which actually helps it slightly except that it also accentuates that damn buzz and hum that wreaks itself through half of the tracks. Seriously can't figure out why someone thought that was a good idea.

Haven't picked up those mini LP's yet... do you have any pics?
    I ordered 5150,OU812,FUCK,and Balance(saw your reviews on cdjapan)...I'm a cdjapan junkie,been collecting the cardboard sleeves for a few years now-amazing! For the life of me,I can't figure out how to post an image? I know it's off topic,but after going to FAQ a number of times,I still don't get it...is there a simple way?
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    From what you describe (different EQ and louder), they're remasters and most definitely NOT remixes.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

They are NOT remixed.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

04.06.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not.

Remastered.

In 2005, they used the current mastering method to transfer to CD the music from the original JAPANESE masters. Now the Japanese probably take better care of their masters than her in the USA where everything older has to be baked to be used. And the Japanese mastering technology has always been better than the US - even their LPs sound naturally better.

But these are NOT remastered. A remastering engineer was not hired. Remastering techniques were not applied. Current mastering was done...that's all. They are a bit louder - yes. They are a bit clearer - yes. But you could accomplish the same effect by using EQ and your volume knob to a certain degree.

Also, Japanese REMASTERS always make mention of that fact - and in English, most of the time. DIGITAL REMASTER. Additionally, the Japanese insert makes no mention of any remastering. It would indicate this. Usually it would indicate "Remastered by Suhu Gur" (the guy who does the bulk of the remastering in Japan). Again - no mention.

Add to that the fact that for OU812 anyhow, they seem to have scanned the original artwork as you can clearly see the scan lines in the faces of the guys, etc. They were also a bit to liberal with "sharpen" tool as the text is so sharp its bleeds.

Just letting you guys know. If it is worth it to you, that's your call, but these are not proper remasters - not at all.

Edit: From a dealer friend of mine in Japan. "The WB 'Forever Young' series are price reduced versions of the Japanese first press siblings. They use more current mastering that produces a touch better detail. They may also be mastered hotter, therefore, sounding louder. They are not remastered as such, but these pressings are still superior to the US and European counterparts."
    Last edited by tcantafio; 02.21.12 at 05:06 PM.
    "I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer."