Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:32 AM
    Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts

Default :::Am I The Only One?

I *do not* want for this to become a Van Hagar -vs- Van Halen thread, but after reading opinions of ADKOT, one thing crossed my mind: seems like many posters had to listen through the record a time or two to really get into the songs, yet the songs have bulldog like teeth; once bitten, you can't get away!

It brought me back to 25-30 years ago. Whenever I picked up a Roth era record for the first time, some of the songs took a listen or two to sink in - songs that are now my all time favorites. I felt the same way when I gave ADKOT my first listen, but now this record is clearly one of my favorites of all time!

On the other hand, the Van Hagar era was, for the most part, pop sounding; a catchy chorus, feel good riffs. Some depth; I'd like them immediately, but after some time, I'd put the CD's back on the shelf.

Anyone else feel this way? Van Halen with Roth might take a listen or two to appreciate, but the VH/Roth combination seems to have a timelessness to the music that other albums don't have.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained-Hear about it later
    Last Online

02.20.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No, me too!!!
    Dave he said " Them motherf%#kers are out of line"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I *do not* want for this to become a Van Hagar -vs- Van Halen thread
    LoL. I have been here a few weeks and even I already know that when a thread starts with that a sentence like that, it will become a Sam vs. Dave thread.

For the record, when I listen to Sam-era Van Halen it's usually just to hear some of the more melodic, poppy guitar work of Edward, like you said. Some of the lyrics still make me want to throw up, but I kind of have learned to tune them out.

You may have a point that it takes a few listens to dig into the Roth stuff. A number of critics have pointed out that the album lacks hooks (minus She's the Woman and Big River and Tattoo). That may be true, but on closer inspection the songs still get under your skin. Pop may be catchy, but it's usually less exciting musically.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.07.15 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Generally agree..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

To be honest with you its been hard to listen to the Sammy stuff since about 1996. Matter of fact I haven't. I just can't stomach the Sammy era stuff it doesn't hold the weight and the test of time like the Roth era stuff. I'm glad Sammy is not in the band anymore they're better off without him.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

It's called "permanent artistic satisfaction" -- just like Mozart, Beethoven, Robert Johnson, Elvis, and The Beatles.

It will be the year 2312 and people will still be listening to "Eruption" and "Unchained." Sp-, I mean Sammy just doesn't have that artistic quality IMHO. But that shouldn't be a surprise to much of anyone.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

The Roth era songs never took a listen or two to warm up to. None of it. ADKOT did but not the 6 pack.

But neither did the Sam era either. Yes, 5150 sounded different and you had to adapt, but I liked it on the first listen.

VH3 is the only album I had to force on myself. I tried like hell to get used to it and like it but never could.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

But Kevin!
    Do you realize what you're writing?
    What does Dave or Sammy have to do with "Eruption"???
    That's what gets to me, the total irrationality of the Sam/Dave debate.
    EVH wrote "Eruption" in the 70s and "316" in 1991. That's just the way it is. He would have STILL written "316" had Dave been in the band. Dave would NOT have made Ed "tough" at that time. Coz Dave ain't making Ed tough, if Ed writes "Chinatown," it's coz he wants to. End of story. We'll see if "Tattoo" is more timeless than "Poundcake" or if "You and your blues" is more timeless than "5150."

Time will tell...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

This topic has no hope you guys know that right?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't segment it that way at all. And actually I don't believe it can honestly be categorized that way either. Sure the Hagar era had more diversity in what direction they could go, but some people act like he made Van Halen into the Bee Gees because they had a few ballads. I think that's absurd. Like Kiss didn't have ballads? Like Motley Crue didn't have Ballads? The Dave era had PLENTY of pop rock level songs. Jamie's Crying, Dancing in the Street, Jump, Beautiful girls, are not rock songs, anymore than 'Dreams', 'Love Walks In', or 'When it's Love' are. And for every 'Running with the Devil', you've got something equally hard like 'Poundcake'. Sure, Van Halen had some power ballads with Hagar. But there are scores of rockers to go with those too. Van Halen hardly became a pop band with Hagar. They still delivered the rock tunes. I just think Hagar gave Eddie room to branch out in a few new directions. And Eddie catered to the strengths of each singer. But all Van Halen singers could rock. When I make compilations I throw all incarnations in there, because the most consistent component is Eddie. So in my eyes, when you dog one era, your dogging Eddie. He's an artist. Let him branch out. He did it in VHIII. That was hard rock. But I don't see anyone singing it's praises. Why not? ADKOT is no different than any of the past records. It's Eddie trying another approach. It's still Eddie. And it's still HIS band.
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Everything is right in my universe when Dave is with VH. I liked Van Hagar when Sam was around, but I can't listen to that material any more with the exception of a couple of tunes. I always have time for VH with Roth.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.09.17 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, I've had that same feeling with every VH record from both eras.
    I remember not liking the F.U.C.K. album for several days until the songs caught on for me.
    I grew to love that album and still do.
    For me, it's not anything to do with Dave vs. Sammy.
    But that's just me, I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iZach View Post
    Actually, I've had that same feeling with every VH record from both eras.
    I remember not liking the F.U.C.K. album for several days until the songs caught on for me.
    I grew to love that album and still do.
    For me, it's not anything to do with Dave vs. Sammy.
    But that's just me, I'm sure it's different for everyone.
    I agree. To me it's all about Eddie. He's proven he can move the band forward with different lead singers. It's HIS band. It's never been Dave's band or Sammy's band. They like to think they were. But Eddie has been quick to put them on the street when they overstepped. I see the entire body of work as Eddie's. So segmenting one singer from another is really missing the point in my book.
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I think it also has to do with the evolution of music through the 70s and 80s. Eddie is/was very aware of "pop" music. He said in numerous interviews that pop was short for popular. I don't think that Sammy changed Eddie as much as people want to make it out to be. I think Sam was a catalyst yes, but Eddie was going that way anyway.
    Your favorite band sucks.