Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nook Color VS. Kindle Fire for students

I am looking for opinions on the Nook Color VS the Kindle fire within the school setting. Currently, the students all have laptop computers, but I would like to find a functional replacement for the students. I am currently gathering information like what textbooks they use, what applications they need, etc...

I know there are some teachers on here and I would really like to know what you all think of using one of these options to replace laptops, textbooks, calculators, etc...or combine at least some of these options, both for convenience as well as affordability for the students and districts.

I am a school board member, but don't jump to conclusions, I want to save money, but the main goal is to streamline these things into a better package and be efficient and functional at the same time. I realize that the Ipad is the cat's meow, but it is not an option, so I am looking for workable alternatives.

I am gathering information to present to the rest of the School Board and Tech director and need as much input as possible!

Thanks in advance!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor View Post
    I am looking for opinions on the Nook Color VS the Kindle fire within the school setting. Currently, the students all have laptop computers, but I would like to find a functional replacement for the students. I am currently gathering information like what textbooks they use, what applications they need, etc...

I know there are some teachers on here and I would really like to know what you all think of using one of these options to replace laptops, textbooks, calculators, etc...or combine at least some of these options, both for convenience as well as affordability for the students and districts.

I am a school board member, but don't jump to conclusions, I want to save money, but the main goal is to streamline these things into a better package and be efficient and functional at the same time. I realize that the Ipad is the cat's meow, but it is not an option, so I am looking for workable alternatives.

I am gathering information to present to the rest of the School Board and Tech director and need as much input as possible!

Thanks in advance!
    I know you've already have taken Apple off the table, but they do have specific educational lease programs designed for the iPad...

Imagine no more text books... Specially when they are outdated before they are paid off...

""At $100 a pop for a traditional copy, Apple's recent announcement it will be offering more textbooks at $14.99 in iBooks could prove to be a real cost-saver for the district.""

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...ka-High-School

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...ipads-for-all/

I don't expect there to be as much corporate backing from the other tablet companies when it comes to getting them into the school systems...

Just my thoughts...

Oh, also take some time and check out this blog...

http://teachpaperless.blogspot.com/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the iPad's your best choice. the nook and the kindle fire are both too small for text books.