Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

04.06.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Is now the time for Warner Bros. to release Hagar era remasters?

As a business person, and a Van Halen fan, I was thinking about when the best time would be for WB to release either remastered or remastered/expanded versions of the Hagar catalog. My take is that this would be a perfect time. You have VH at the top of the charts with a killer new album on a rival label, where WB was snubbed as not being hip enough, I believe. And at the moment - on the eve of VH launching into what figures to be a very popular world tour. Wouldn't you think that WB would want a bit of the VH poundcake, so to speak? These albums have to come out sooner or later, why not on the coattails of their current success? And what about VH III? Does that get remastered as well?

Here's my take: I figure that if WB did choose to re-release the Hagar catalog, they would probably do a straight remaster release. However, I don't know how much of a sales impact that would bring. Now if they did expanded sets, I could see that raking in some cash. Being pretty obvious that there would be no unreleased "studio" stuff on these, I think that they could still put some decent sets together. How about coupling 5150 with remastered audio or a Bluray of Live Without A Net. There are other live tracks out there from the first night in New Haven in 1986 too - Wild Thing, Good Enough, etc. These had to be licensed because they were broadcast. OU812 could be coupled with a Bluray or audio thereof from the official broadcast from Tokyo in 1989. You then have F.U.C.K. which could be coupled with Live RHRN + the two tracks (in audio format) that only appeared on the video version. Maybe they even put out a Bluray of Live RHRN separately. And Balance - a remastered disc, including Crossing Over & Humans Being, with audio and or Bluray from the Toronto pay-per-view concert in 1995. Finally, if VHIII was to be remastered/expanded there is an official show that was broadcast from Pittsburgh in 1998. I'm sure WB could cull material from that to couple with Gary's only outing with the boys. Heck, they could probably delete The Best Of Both Worlds an tack the three 2004 Sammy tracks somewhere in-between.

I think this could offer a bang for the buck and would be rather popular - especially now, with VH firmly planted in the limelight.

I look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by tcantafio; 02.17.12 at 09:13 PM.
    "I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.01.14 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If Warner Brothers thought they could make money on remastering and rereleasing these in the US then they would do it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

you sound like a business-man for sure. i, and many others i'm sure, would buy every package you mentioned. bring it on.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanCherone View Post
    If Warner Brothers thought they could make money on remastering and rereleasing these in the US then they would do it.
    <clock ticks>

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Last edited by F'nRockstar; 02.17.12 at 09:25 PM.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

I'd buy all three of them....they could do balance with that Austrailian show that was on MTV. It would be sick. 4 CD/DVDs. Hope they do it.

I am also hoping for a Live DVD from this tour (featuring all the songs in ADKOT) and from the 2007 tour (more of a greatest Roth hits DVD).

I think all 6 of these packages would sell enough to turn a profit. Imagine having 6 Van Halen DVDs.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post
    I'd buy all three of them....they could do balance with that Austrailian show that was on MTV. It would be sick. 4 CD/DVDs. Hope they do it.

I am also hoping for a Live DVD from this tour (featuring all the songs in ADKOT) and from the 2007 tour (more of a greatest Roth hits DVD).

I think all 6 of these packages would sell enough to turn a profit. Imagine having 6 Van Halen DVDs.

Yes sir!! I want all 6.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

04.06.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post

I forgot about the Australian MTV show. I wonder if that was a broadcast only or if it was recorded too. I know that the New Haven 1986 show - first night was recorded and broadcast, same with the full 1998 show from Pittsburgh. Don't know if VH or WB, or whoever recorded the Toronto pay-per-view. As I understand it the 1989 VH show from Tokyo still gets broadcast over there, so I assume there is a master recording of that. Plus, didn't they use two audio tracks from that show for the Jump Live CD single?

Personally, I think this would be awesome.
    "I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcantafio View Post
    I forgot about the Australian MTV show. I wonder if that was a broadcast only or if it was recorded too. I know that the New Haven 1986 show - first night was recorded and broadcast, same with the full 1998 show from Pittsburgh. Don't know if VH or WB, or whoever recorded the Toronto pay-per-view. As I understand it the 1989 VH show from Tokyo still gets broadcast over there, so I assume there is a master recording of that. Plus, didn't they use two audio tracks from that show for the Jump Live CD single?

Personally, I think this would be awesome.

1998 Australia VH3 show broadcast on MTV's 10 Spot show. I'm sure MTV or the band have a master of that
    1995 Toronto Balance show was on pay per view and was to be released on DVD, but got scrapped. So that's also there.
    The audio of the VH3 Pittsburgh show was to be released as a live album, but that was also scrapped at the last moment.
    1989 Tokyo show was amazing and is being sold as a shitty bootleg on Amazon and other sites. Somebody has a proper copy of that.

I just don't know if there's much of a market for this stuff outside of us anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy anything official but would they make a bunch of money on them?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

They should hand over the VH2 tour footage and Fair Warning tour footage to George Lucas to clean up and remaster and get as perfect and flawless as possible. The other obvious move would be to include some of the US Festival as well as the other South American footage from 1983.

That is a package I would die to have in my possession. Blu Ray......

Otherwise, the market for non-Roth era stuff just isn't there right now. I think that would rock the boat, and please for the love of god, let them not rock the boat.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're exactly right Kevin. WB will not release anything in the near (or nearly distant) future IMO. Enjoy the new stuff fella's...VH is not stupid enough to sign a deal that would enable their former record company to compete/sell against their first new album in 14 years.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:26 AM
    Liked 7,889 Times in 4,614 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADK5150 View Post
    You're exactly right Kevin. WB will not release anything in the near (or nearly distant) future IMO. Enjoy the new stuff fella's...VH is not stupid enough to sign a deal that would enable their former record company to compete/sell against their first new album in 14 years.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but WB doesn't need VH's permission to remaster and release the Hagar albums, do they? WB owns the catalog I would think.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now would probably be the worst time. They would be compared against the blistering ADKOT and sound like Air Supply records.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

What if they put this out?

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They do own the catalog...but in the industry today as it stands there is no way WB could justify remastering and marketing 80's and 90's material, even from a band like VH...to generate revenue. They would be butchered by current artists on their label and their Management for not putting the $'s where it should be.

Give Interscope credit...they struck while the iron was hot, great call that will pay off for them!