Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 849 Times in 397 Posts

Premium Member

Default Question to all musicians on the board

I'll admit up front this is a selfish thread. I'm desperately hoping for a great/different setlist for the current tour. My question to the actual musicians out there is doesn't it get old playing the same set list every night? Doesn't it get old playing the same songs every tour for 30 years? If they start tomorrow night with YRGM again, it wouldn't make sense to me. If they end with Jump again, jesus H. If it get's old for us, imagine how old it must get for them. I've never played a note of music in my life, I'm just a huge rock fan, VH at the top. Ironically, my other two favorite bands are pretty damn good at mixing it up. Metallica the last few tours has the same basic set, but mix a handful of songs every night. My other favorite, Pearl Jam, I shouldn't even have to say a word. They are the all time kings of mixing it up. Literally every motherfucking night, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SETLIST. Why are they the only group on the planet, at least that I give a shit about, that can pull this off? WTF am I missing. Why can't VH play Hear About It Later tomorrow? Why can't they play Hang em High? Why can't they play D.O.A? How many more times can they play Panama and fucking Jump. I've paid over a grand so far in tickets for this tour. I'd pay and extra couple hundred if they DIDN'T play Jump. And if someone is gonna say the average fan argument...who give's a shit. Do you think the 'average' fan is paying $160.00 for fucking ticket? Last point. Death Magnetic came out and it was extremely reminiscent of their old shit. So when making their set list they got rid of a lot of their standards and went back to Fight Fire, Ride The Lightning, etc...cus they fit well. If ever VH had an excuse to play the old, harder, more obscure stuff, the time is now boys! Honeybaby, Chinatown, Outta Space; this shit reminds me of Mean Street, Sinner's Swing, On Fire.

Oh well, I'm rambling. I love VH. It's their perogative to play whatever the fuck they want. I would just assume that it would be more exciting for them to play different shit. What do I know. I missed out on the Dave years. I was 9 in 84, older brother wouldn't take me with him to the show. Don't blame him obviously. It's just now a lot of us have a chance to re-live the 81, 84 tour songs. I wish they'd put a poll on line or something where their die-hard fans could vote on a couple of songs or something.

In closing, Wolfie, your my only hope. I have a distinct feeling that your the only guy in the band that checks this place out. I know you like the harder shit because you picked the setlist last tour, and it seems to a lot of us that your the inspiration for the harder direction of this album. If you happen to read this thread, please give it some thought and talk to your dad and Diamond.

Thanks dude.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be a nice touch for everyone who saw them in 07/08 to get a different bunch of CVH material plus a healthy dose of ADKOT.
    Staying Frosty

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

another lesser known band that does this is CLUTCH...

they play a different set every night...

yes Im sure it gets old, but i think the final net profit of the tour probably makes it fairly easy to do on their part...

The casual fan, which probably makes up most 95 % of the audience...and when I say casual, I mean the non vhlinks member types the ons that don't know every last detail of VH...want to hear the hits and the familiar tunes...

its a formula that works...

also, VH with Roth hasnt toured in almost 3 decades, Ed has only played these songs with Dave again recently, so they probably don't seem so played out...

Now, Rush, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, etc...who have toured almost yearly for 40 years, I could see them growing tired of songs ...
    Last edited by LudwigVonDrumCrazy; 02.17.12 at 11:13 AM.
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Favorite VH Album

VH-5150
    Last Online

03.20.15 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks like they'll be working in 3-4 songs from the new album, which is killer.

Based on the rehearsals it doesn't seem like they're planning on doing any classic VH songs beyond the mandory hits and one's played on the last tour, which is not quite as killer.

As a musician I'd get bored with the same set every night, but I imagine it's different when your actually a successful musician not hearing crickets after ever song. Unlikely they'll start taking the Grateful Dead's approach on this tour!

People might think this is nuts, but I think on the 2004 tour Ed had the mentality that he was going to let loose and experiment with the songs a little bit live, as opposed to nailing a tightly rehearsed set each night. Something more along the lines of his famous "falling down the steps and landing on your feet" quote. Thats my thought, though I admit that when mixed with extreme substance abuse it can easily be interpreted as "he's so wasted he doesn't know what he's doing".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BSizzle View Post
    It looks like they'll be working in 3-4 songs from the new album, which is killer.
    That's all? Kind of a bummer to me.

I'd honestly be happy if they just played ADKOT in it's entirety, then an encore of 3-4 classics...

Favorite VH Album

VH-5150
    Last Online

03.20.15 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post
    That's all? Kind of a bummer to me.

I'd honestly be happy if they just played ADKOT in it's entirety, then an encore of 3-4 classics...
    That's just based on what they've played live so far but I'd love to hear more too.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Hack, my brother from another mother, I am with you on this one. When PJ goes out every night with a new set-list it makes the other bands look bad. I fear VH will open up with YRGM, then RWTD , just like last tour. I can't understand why musicians who are so creative can play the same songs over and over , year after year. AC/DC is the worst offender.

If VH plays Ice Cream Man and not Stay Frosty, I will be disappointed.

It will be a great show either way, but some creativity in set list would be nice.

After seeing PJ who has 2 guitar players, one bass player and Eddie Vedder playing guitar sometimes doing a new set every night and the chaos after every song when they switch guitars, if they can do this, any other band should be able to do the same thing.
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    12-28-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    12-30-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    5-13-2008 IZOD Arena East Rutherford , NJ
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    5-28-2008 Verizon Manchester, NH
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BSizzle View Post
    People might think this is nuts, but I think on the 2004 tour Ed had the mentality that he was going to let loose and experiment with the songs a little bit live, as opposed to nailing a tightly rehearsed set each night. Something more along the lines of his famous "falling down the steps and landing on your feet" quote. Thats my thought, though I admit that when mixed with extreme substance abuse it can easily be interpreted as "he's so wasted he doesn't know what he's doing".
    Ha, you know you're right there. Eddie was mixing it up on the 2004 tour and changing the set list. The only problem was that the other three guys still thought they were playing the originally agreed upon set list.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    Hack, my brother from another mother, I am with you on this one. When PJ goes out every night with a new set-list it makes the other bands look bad. I fear VH will open up with YRGM, then RWTD , just like last tour. I can't understand why musicians who are so creative can play the same songs over and over , year after year. AC/DC is the worst offender.

If VH plays Ice Cream Man and not Stay Frosty, I will be disappointed.

It will be a great show either way, but some creativity in set list would be nice.

After seeing PJ who has 2 guitar players, one bass player and Eddie Vedder playing guitar sometimes doing a new set every night and the chaos after every song when they switch guitars, if they can do this, any other band should be able to do the same thing.
    Especially in this day and time where every show is scrutinized on Geek forums like this, you'd think they'd change it up a little.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it:

1. They are lazy and don't want to risk making a mistake so it's just like robotics and there is no thought process to each show, or

2. They are so professional they don't want to risk deviating from their strictly rehearsed show so the fans get the same thing at every show.

I love VH as much as anyone but I think I'd go jump off a bridge if I had to play the same setlist every night.

P.S. Fuck Pearl Jam.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post

Me too. Won't happen but that's what I'd like to hear.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,303 Times in 3,170 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yes it gets old. But sometimes familiarity=comfortability. Plus Ed wasn't able to play very fast last time out. As we see, times have changed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Since this is indeed a discussion thread, I can really pile on here with some examples.

I might be throwing myself to lions with this admission, but I'm a huge Rush fan. On the other hand, my wife is a huge Dave Matthews fan. Rush plays the exact same set, every single night, for the entire tour. She doesn't get it. Dave Matthews changes his set up pretty much every night and keeps thing spontaneous. But the difference in approach between DMB and Rush is huge. Rush puts on a performance -- video, lighting, triggers, etc. etc. DMB just gets up there and goes with the flow, which is cool. To make my argument for Rush, I told my wife that Rush is more like an orchestra -- they don't just get up there and go with the flow and yell out "what next?" It's carefully "orchestrated." They're just two different approaches. And to be completely honest, I saw DMB twice -- one was really good, and one was horrible. I've seen Rush maybe 15 times -- only two sub-par shows did I witness. So -- case not necessarily closed.

I think for VH -- not a big deal for them to play the same set every night. Clearly though, 2007-2008 was the "classics tour". I expect, personally, three things from this tour: 1) A LOT of the new album; 2) classics same as 2007-2008; 3) classics not played in 2007-2008, even just a few.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.19.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Kevin brings up the point I was going to mention. Having worked on/around a few major tours, the ability to improv, deviate from the "standards" has to do less (most times) with the band/artist proficiency and desire to mix it up, and more to do with thr support crew... Audio, lighting, gear changes (for different guitars with alt tunings, for example) and that's not even going in to tours like Rush or Roger Waters or GnR, where there is a lot of "triggered bits"... Video, samples, set changes, etc. That are entirely locked in to one song.

Once you leave small clubs and venues behind, it's much harder to mix it up every night and deliver the full experience fans expect for the idiotic amount of money they are shelling out.

Sent from my mobile RobotPhoneOfDeath using Tapatalk
    Ain't no school like the old school...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Make Art Like it's a Weapon from the Gods

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,303 Times in 3,170 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    Kevin brings up the point I was going to mention. Having worked on/around a few major tours, the ability to improv, deviate from the "standards" has to do less (most times) with the band/artist proficiency and desire to mix it up, and more to do with thr support crew... Audio, lighting, gear changes (for different guitars with alt tunings, for example) and that's not even going in to tours like Rush or Roger Waters or GnR, where there is a lot of "triggered bits"... Video, samples, set changes, etc. That are entirely locked in to one song.

Once you leave small clubs and venues behind, it's much harder to mix it up every night and deliver the full experience fans expect for the idiotic amount of money they are shelling out.

Sent from my mobile RobotPhoneOfDeath using Tapatalk
    Huh. Learn something new everyday.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 849 Times in 397 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

i hear you guys totally that know the business much more than fans do. but i'm going to simplify this really quick: IF IT'S SO FUCKING COMPLICATED, HOW DOES PEARL JAM DO IT EVERY NIGHT, EVERY TOUR?? video boards, pre-planned this, keyboards, sequencers?, whatever the fuck. PJ, and apparently some other bands change every fucking song every fucking night. apparently it can be done, why can't our band do it? just tell me the actual reason that VH can not pull off a Pearl Jam and then I'll shut up.

and by the way, it probably seems like i'm completely complaining about my favorite band. in actuality, this is an INSANE compliment. i honestly don't give a fuck what they play. the more obscure, the better! i want to hear WOMEN IN LOVE. i want to hear THE FULL BUG. i want to hear GIRL FUCKING GONE BAD. what's wrong with that?? the Pearl Jam fans don't rush for the exits when they play something different. Pearl Jam doesn't hear 'crickets' when they try a new or obscure song as someone earlier in this thread worried about. is VH not big enough to do whatever the fuck they want at this point? again, WTF am I missing?
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE