Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkn' Bout Love.
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Marketing Van Halen in the digital age?

Just curious what people's thoughts are on how a great marketing campaign is launched to reach the masses when it comes to Van Halen? For those of us who have been lifelong fans it seems like VH is everywhere right now, but that is to be expected. But what about those who are tuned out or not the die-hard fan. Back in the day, long before satellite radio and itunes, it was easy to come across good new music, it played every hour on our favorite radio stations. Now everyone is plugged into itunes, Pandora, Sirrius, etc., and possibly staying away from the rotations of popular radio. I am a true music lover but must admit, several of my favorite bands from years gone by have put new albums out that I found months after there release. Lets face it, all the advertising in the world is only as good as having people actually hear the music.

Just curious what thoughts are. Tattoo has been out for over a month, and ADKOT a week, and yet I have not heard a single song on the radio. That's because I do not listen to the radio much, and when I do I have 100 channels to choose from and flip around alot. We live in an age where information is so easy to get at a click, but you have to want to click on something to get it, so how do we get VH to those who may not be looking.

Chris

Evansville, IN 1978 - VHI (Black Sabbath)
    Raliegh, NC 1979 - VHII
    Louisville, Ky 1982 - Diver Down

Sacramento, CA 11/27/07 - Oldies Tour
    Louisville, KY 2/18/12 - ADKOT
    Denver, CO 5/24/12 - ADKOT
    Los Angeles, CA 6/09/12 - ADKOT

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance, ADKOFT
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, As Is
    Last Online

03.30.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cjsitfly View Post
    Just curious what people's thoughts are on how a great marketing campaign is launched to reach the masses when it comes to Van Halen? For those of us who have been lifelong fans it seems like VH is everywhere right now, but that is to be expected. But what about those who are tuned out or not the die-hard fan. Back in the day, long before satellite radio and itunes, it was easy to come across good new music, it played every hour on our favorite radio stations. Now everyone is plugged into itunes, Pandora, Sirrius, etc., and possibly staying away from the rotations of popular radio. I am a true music lover but must admit, several of my favorite bands from years gone by have put new albums out that I found months after there release. Lets face it, all the advertising in the world is only as good as having people actually hear the music.

Just curious what thoughts are. Tattoo has been out for over a month, and ADKOT a week, and yet I have not heard a single song on the radio. That's because I do not listen to the radio much, and when I do I have 100 channels to choose from and flip around alot. We live in an age where information is so easy to get at a click, but you have to want to click on something to get it, so how do we get VH to those who may not be looking.

Social networking. The way all music that is no longer considered "radio friendly" by clear channel.. You blow up Facebook, Youtube, Twitter... Share it as much as possible and get your friends to do it as well... And hope the band opens up to the vast media opportunities that are no doubt available to them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the marketing done on ESPN and it's website was a great move. I think they should look into putting ads on some other sports websites like NBA.com and MLB.com, Yahoo Sports ect. The male demo visits these sites a bunch and it can get the bands name out there.

I think it will be REALLY important to release another single with hopefully a better produced video here real soon. Tattoo has lost it's fizzle and they need to promote a better song that gives the rock fans a reason to give the album a chance if they didn't like Tattoo. I think they should also have some online contests to meet the band backstage at a concert, win a guitar signed by Eddie, ect.

Though this doesn't really go with the digital age aspect and even though I don't really think too highly of the magazine.. I think a cover story on Rolling Stone would really help too.