VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Best online backup site?

Had a hard drive crash right before Christmas and wound up having to send it off to get all the info off the disc. Cost me a few pretty pennies (Gillware in Wisconsin...excellent to work with, IMO) but I'm wanting to upload all my stuff to a few other places.

I've considered Mozy (via the Dan Patrick Show), Dropbox, Box.com, Carbonite and a few others but I know there are limitations to each.

Have any of you used one of these sites or do you have one you'd recommend? I'm prob going to backup everything to another new harddrive (Gillware sent me one as part of the price I paid) but I'd like to ensure I've got my pix & files stored elsewhere in case one of the HD's goes down again.

I don't mind paying for it either. It'd be worth it considering we almost lost all our kids' baby pix & vids from the other drive that broke.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Depending on the amount of photos you have (I have over 60GB) then storing online may not be the best idea. What I would recommend is buying an external hard drive (usb) and keeping it in a separate location (bank vault etc etc).

Safety deposit box at BoA: $100 per year

100GB dropbox.com: $20 a month
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Yeah you can get a 1TB or 2TB external hard drive for about $100 now. That is WAY more than any online site will give you.

Here ya go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136540.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Cool! Thanks, guys!

I had Gillware send me all my stuff on an external hard drive (all that they could recover) and it's a 320GB Toshiba HD. My wife wants me to get an add'l HD PLUS look at doing something virtual incase the unthinkable happens (ie: robbery, fire, nat disaster, son breaks hard drive again...LOL). Maybe it's a bit overkill on her part but a happy wife & an unstressed wife = happy home.
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

My bro-in-law just sent me a link to upload pix to Dropbox for free (something like 2.5GB) and I realized that by moving pix from my cpu to Dropbox, it completely takes it off your machine. I'm now in the process of copying it all back. LOL

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Hey Cabo Kid, I had a similar disaster recently. I was able to get some archived stuff off some old IDE drives that I forgot I had and have re-built about 80% of my music library, but would sure still love to get the rest of the stuff off of my SATA.

How much is Gillware charging you?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

06.08.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Yeah I recently went looking for an online solution but I'm not really willing to pay $$ every month for some relatively new service to put my trust in. I'm kinda surprised Google doesn't offer something like this yet they have the music cloud up. I just went with a second drive and called it a day.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    Yeah I recently went looking for an online solution but I'm not really willing to pay $$ every month for some relatively new service to put my trust in. I'm kinda surprised Google doesn't offer something like this yet they have the music cloud up. I just went with a second drive and called it a day.
    I'm with you. HDD's ain't that pricey and easy to load up and lock up someplace safe. Even having my old IDE's just sitting down in my garage saved my bacon.....well most of it.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Google is coming out with a service like dropbox, called Google Drive. However, I think that it will probably be limited to 20 or 50GB just like the rest. For people like me, that have almost 10 years of digital photos, there's no way a service like that can store all of my pics. It would be too costly.

Now, if someone had a free online 1TB drive, then I'd consider. But that much space is way too costly to give away free.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Hey Cabo Kid, I had a similar disaster recently. I was able to get some archived stuff off some old IDE drives that I forgot I had and have re-built about 80% of my music library, but would sure still love to get the rest of the stuff off of my SATA.

How much is Gillware charging you?
    LLFHS, I was forewarned that it would be pricey and it was.

Total recovery, backup onto a new hard drive and then shipping back to me = $1100.

I was stunned how high it was gonna be to recover all that data but then again, I had no idea what was going into the recovery and how difficult it was going to be trying to get it all off a damaged drive. The tech said my "wreck" was about a 6-7/10. Could've been a lot worse but still a fairly good size break.

Once I got the new hard drive back, I started going thru it all. About 80% of what they recovered was perfect. About 15% was called "incomplete" with a few glitches in the videos and/or pictures. Some of the pix can be cropped and will be just fine. A few of the vids have a few blips & flips on them but considering some of them are only a second or two, AND they are on precious videos of my (then) 1 year old son bouncing / dancing at the zoo, it's worth it.

In fact, the moment I sent that video to my wife, she said "that video alone is worth the $900." I figure if she's happy & ok with spending the coin to retrieve it, so am I.

I don't aim to have this prob again though. I guess that's why I'm going to be doing a couple extra backups.

As far as Gillware, they are TOP NOTCH!!! I can't recommend them enough!! Excellent customer service, great communication and you're not being shipped overseas to someone you can't understand. If any of you ever have an issue like this, I HIGHLY recommend these guys.

www.gillware.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by xaminer View Post
    Google is coming out with a service like dropbox, called Google Drive. However, I think that it will probably be limited to 20 or 50GB just like the rest. For people like me, that have almost 10 years of digital photos, there's no way a service like that can store all of my pics. It would be too costly.

Now, if someone had a free online 1TB drive, then I'd consider. But that much space is way too costly to give away free.
    I think I gave $100/yr to Dropbox. Maybe a little pricey but thus far, it's been super easy to upload stuff from my laptop AND my iPhone. Their phone app is real easy to use as is the stuff you get off their website. Plus, they give out free 250mb for a few things you do (ie: recommend to a friend, d'load the app, etc).

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Thanks for the info CK. The price you quoted was actually less than what I'd been hearing about other outfits, but still not low enough for what I am actually missing. Like I said earlier, I had a great deal of data still safely stored on my old forgotten IDE's. I'd be paying a grand for stuff that's pretty replaceable really.

Good that you got your shit back!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

You also can take advantage of free services. Upload pics and scanned documents to Flickr (mark them as private if you don't want them seen), sign up for Yahoo and Google gmail accounts and e-mail yourself zipped files. Once in your inbox, shuffle them to a separate folder.

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

02.25.12 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cabo Kid View Post
    Had a hard drive crash right before Christmas and wound up having to send it off to get all the info off the disc. Cost me a few pretty pennies (Gillware in Wisconsin...excellent to work with, IMO) but I'm wanting to upload all my stuff to a few other places.

I've considered Mozy (via the Dan Patrick Show), Dropbox, Box.com, Carbonite and a few others but I know there are limitations to each.

Have any of you used one of these sites or do you have one you'd recommend? I'm prob going to backup everything to another new harddrive (Gillware sent me one as part of the price I paid) but I'd like to ensure I've got my pix & files stored elsewhere in case one of the HD's goes down again.

I don't mind paying for it either. It'd be worth it considering we almost lost all our kids' baby pix & vids from the other drive that broke.
    Currently, we have a secondary disk on each server to store the backup files, we only backup on Sunday and Thursday due to the fact it takes so long to run the backups (12+ hours) and during the backup the CPU (I/O, mostly) is pegged. But I also have installed on my PC, ZenOK Online Backup software and it works pretty good I feel secured.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

06.08.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

There's an article on Lifehacker today about storage solutions, one being a cloud service called Crashplan. Haven't used it but it's $5/month for unlimited storage (from one computer). Article here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5889422/whats-...p-tons-of-data