Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkn' Bout Love.
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why you won't hear any Sammy Era songs on this tour?

Can anyone really hear Dave singing "When Love Comes Walking In" while doing a full roundhouse kick and split, not that his aged body could even attempt the moves of the 70's and 80's. Got your attention now?

A friend of mine stopped by tonight and we got to talking about my attending the opening night in Louisville this Saturday. He is also a VH fan from the original era, although his question might lead the die-hard to question his true understanding of the band. He asked how Dave might go about working Sammy era songs into the show?...hello, what? I simply replied with a smile, Dave won't be singing any Sammy songs on this tour, or any future tours for that matter.

Before you Sammy fans take me down this is not a comparison or dig, just a reality. Of course Dave might think the Sammy era songs are a little to pop for his taste, however, I believe if you really got him talking he would simply say, what the original fan base already knows, "It just doesn't work." Lets put that into context. To me, and many like me, the Sammy era was a different band than the original, still a great lineup, but totally different. The original Van Halen was as much about attitude as it was about great music. The guitar, drums, and bass where still intact, and Sammy has a great voice, but....it just wasn't Van Halen of the original days.

Anyway, for me, ADKOT picks up right where 1984 left off, and that works just fine with me because their set list will still include all the kickass originals I long to hear, plus some awesome new tunes, yes new tunes. Had ADKOT been anything but a pick up where we left off CD I believe the fans who have waited so long for new, original, music would have struggled to get their ears around this second coming (even without Michael, whom I miss).

So all you Sammy Era fans don't be disappointed by the fact you will probably never hear those songs performed live again, by Van Halen anyway. Be thankful Chickenfoot is around as I am sure Sammy will continue to play some of those songs in their setlist.

It's all good and I am pumped to know I will be rock'n in 4 days in Louisville.

CJ

Chris

Evansville, IN 1978 - VHI (Black Sabbath)
    Raliegh, NC 1979 - VHII
    Louisville, Ky 1982 - Diver Down

Sacramento, CA 11/27/07 - Oldies Tour
    Louisville, KY 2/18/12 - ADKOT
    Denver, CO 5/24/12 - ADKOT
    Los Angeles, CA 6/09/12 - ADKOT

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Changes Every Hour
    Favorite VH Song

Changes Every Minute
    Last Online

09.30.14 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy Hagar on New Van Halen: "I Don't Think the Fans Are Going to Be Happy With It"

Sammy Hagar is not a man afraid of sharing his opinions.

Speaking to Radio Metal recently, the Red Rocker got his chance to share his thoughts on the new Van Halen record, and sound off about whether VH or Chickenfoot are the reigning four-piece rock band of today.

"What I've heard so far, I wasn't impressed with at all, personally," said Hagar of his former band's new stuff. "I think in Chickenfoot, we've raised the bar a little bit on what a four-piece rock band can do, and I think they chose to take the easy route and take some of their old stuff and and re-record it instead of writing new songs. Who is Van Halen today? I don't know, I don't think the fans are going to be happy with it. I couldn't care less if it's the biggest album of the year; that wouldn't be important to me. What is important to me is that, as artists, why would you do that? They haven't released an album since my last album in something like 1991 or '92, and then they just go back. To me, it makes a strange statement, it kind of says, 'We don't have anything, we're not a band anymore, we're not creative.' Isn't it a strange statement to you?"

Hagar once more criticized the band for writing songs based on old demos from the '70s, as opposed to writing all new songs. When asked if he think the band were out of inspiration, he replied: "I think there's zero inspiration and zero creativity. If there was any, they would write new songs. What does the band do? When Chickenfoot got together for our first album, we were four new guys and we got together and wrote ten, twelve songs and made an album."

And of course, Hagar couldn't resist comparing his old gig with his new one, adding: "If you take Joe versus Eddie, you take Dave versus me, Wolfie versus Mikey, Chad or Kenny versus AlÖ I mean, come on! You know what I mean? Man for man, who can sing the best? Dave or I, today? Who can play the best? Joe or Eddie, today? Who could play or sing the best? Wolfie or Mikey? I think itís a joke."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 518 Times in 267 Posts

Premium Member

What would be your ideal set-list with Dave in 2012? Will be tough, with all the new stuff?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Pretty rich for someone that wrote "Up for breakfast" LOL

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by r8ter316 View Post
    Sammy Hagar on New Van Halen: "I Don't Think the Fans Are Going to Be Happy With It"
    Wasn't that 3 weeks ago? That's not news......

I think the fans are happy.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Changes Every Hour
    Favorite VH Song

Changes Every Minute
    Last Online

09.30.14 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
    Wasn't that 3 weeks ago? That's not news......

I think the fans are happy.
    See what I did there?.....sorry for the sarcastic post.

Would love to see some instrumentals of Sammy songs done. Dont think any Sam songs will ever be sang by dave...and this has been said 40,000 times.

BUT we got a new VH album and tour....Im quite satisfied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by r8ter316 View Post
    we got a new VH album and tour....Im quite satisfied.
    Me too!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

05.25.13 @ 01:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Curious to see what Sam is gonna say now that the whole rock world has heard the whole VH CD. Actually since he has heard the whole album too,whats his opinion gonna be? We got 6 tunes that were of old demos, 7 new. In the end it doesn't matter, great songs are great songs. But i wonder if he'll still use that card against them. I still like Sam,he brought allot to the band,but man is he ever digging a hole for himself each time he comments on their album.
    We all know it turned out well. The whole rock world does.

Someone said it perfectly...it'd be sweet if Eddie played instrumentals to the Hagar era tunes. Maybe mix a few of those riffs into his solo? Like hearing him bust into pieces of Pleasure Dome, 5150, Best of Both Worlds,Sucker in a 3 piece,and Amsterdam in spots. Cause he does need to mix up his usual solo nowdays. Just hearing him use the PoundCake drill in the last tour was great! Not gonna lie...I do miss the Van Hagar era abit. Instrumentals would be great.
    Last edited by Markis5150; 02.15.12 at 01:18 AM.
    Forget about!

Banned!
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 03:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Once a singer is given the boot (Cherone apart, given that he was a one no-hit wonder), they are pretty much dead to the VH brothers.

VH have shat on their fans by ignoring the Hagar era. It's ridiculous, short-sighted and insulting to their fans. I can't think of another band that treats their fans this way. Can you name any other band of a reasonable following that treats their fans this way?

At least Hagar had the class to acknowledge the back catalogue when he joined the band. There was no way he wanted to sing Jump or Panama or other hits, but he did it . . . for the fans!

VH only does things now for the fans when they want their cash . . . I'm sure a lot of you won't agree, but that's my opinion. If they could have gotten away with doing another tour without a new record, I'm sure they would have done it (or at least seriously considered it).

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

VH could play all of ADKOT and 12 other great songs and I'd be fine with that.

I enjoyed the Sammy-era songs but I totally understand why VH won't play those on this tour.
    And I'm fine with that.
    Maybe in the future we would get a one-time show with Sammy and Mike and maybe even Gary but for now...it's full steam ahead with DLR!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I enjoyed the Sammy-era songs but I totally understand why VH won't play those on this tour.
    Can you explain it to me, because I really can't understand why they are happy to ignore half of their history and catalogue

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default VH acknowledging all eras

Simply put...ain't happening...at least not now.

Long rambling version..

This teeters on the edge of the Dave versus Sam discussions. People are talking about this elsewhere, at least in the tour forum, so I guess it's reasonable that some will ponder this. lol

I understand why it's being asked. Growing up on CVH b4 the Sam era existed I had hoped to hear more CVH stuff on the few tours I caught Van Hagar or seeing LWAN etc. Stands to reason fans of the Sam era want to hear some of the VH music they grew up on and/or simply love.

VH is just such a fractured entity on multiple levels. 2 main eras both very different. Both appeal to most of the fans but on various levels and some people only prefer one. The singer's styles are very different...their input greatly effects the band's music and identity. No offense but imo VH with Dave comes off like a real rock band which has an irreverent swagger most great rock bands have on some level. Van Hagar comes off a little more corporate rock band. Excellent musicianship and production but a little safer and not as unique.

Anyway VH and all involved started the Dave versus Sam topic with all their feuding. Sadly that is something that sticks to the name Van Halen to a degree and that along with other things(96/VH3/2k-2k6) has weakened the brand. Those feuds are as much a part of why Van Hagar is now ignored as much as difference in vocal range. There is pride, ego, resentments etc involved.

IF VH's past was rainbows for all involved I think it would have been more possible. VH with Dave could come up with ways to pull off some Hagar era respectably if they wanted to. Either straight up or how they could. Dave singing it lower, combo of 3 voices carrying a out of range section, or a combination thereof.

One of the funniest quotes I read here was LLFHS describing what it would be like if Dave attempted Dreams. He said it would be "Mengeleesque." lol
    I'm a dave guy but that's hilarious. No doubt Sam's range is higher than Dave's so some tunes would be more of a problem than others. Still I really do think it comes down to all the petty stuff...Dave likely doesn't want to even go there...the VH's are on the outs with Samike so there is a resentment thing possibly too. ego, resentments etc.

Personally I know I'm the minority but I'd LOVE to hear a VH3 song live.
    Year To The Day. EVH's guitar speaks profoundly in this tune but I've never been a huge fan of the vocals. Still I love the tune. Obviously Dave would have to sing it differently in his own style which may even make the vocals better lol but I'd love to hear this live again.

The crime isn't so much the disrespect to the other singers...the crime with all of this is that Ed has created a lot of amazing music during his career and because of band bullshit his live repertoire is compromised. That's the crime. Ed is a once in a generation dude or better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Simply put...ain't happening...at least not now.

Long rambling version..

This teeters on the edge of the Dave versus Sam discussions. People are talking about this elsewhere, at least in the tour forum, so I guess it's reasonable that some will ponder this. lol

I understand why it's being asked. Growing up on CVH b4 the Sam era existed I had hoped to hear more CVH stuff on the few tours I caught Van Hagar or seeing LWAN etc. Stands to reason fans of the Sam era want to hear some of the VH music they grew up on and/or simply love.

VH is just such a fractured entity on multiple levels. 2 main eras both very different. Both appeal to most of the fans but on various levels and some people only prefer one. The singer's styles are very different...their input greatly effects the band's music and identity. No offense but imo VH with Dave comes off like a real rock band which has an irreverent swagger most great rock bands have on some level. Van Hagar comes off a little more corporate rock band. Excellent musicianship and production but a little safer and not as unique.

Anyway VH and all involved started the Dave versus Sam topic with all their feuding. Sadly that is something that sticks to the name Van Halen to a degree and that along with other things(96/VH3/2k-2k6) has weakened the brand. Those feuds are as much a part of why Van Hagar is now ignored as much as difference in vocal range. There is pride, ego, resentments etc involved.

IF VH's past was rainbows for all involved I think it would have been more possible. VH with Dave could come up with ways to pull off some Hagar era respectably if they wanted to. Either straight up or how they could. Dave singing it lower, combo of 3 voices carrying a out of range section, or a combination thereof.

One of the funniest quotes I read here was LLFHS describing what it would be like if Dave attempted Dreams. He said it would be "Mengeleesque." lol
    I'm a dave guy but that's hilarious. No doubt Sam's range is higher than Dave's so some tunes would be more of a problem than others. Still I really do think it comes down to all the petty stuff...Dave likely doesn't want to even go there...the VH's are on the outs with Samike so there is a resentment thing possibly too. ego, resentments etc.

Personally I know I'm the minority but I'd LOVE to hear a VH3 song live.
    Year To The Day. EVH's guitar speaks profoundly in this tune but I've never been a huge fan of the vocals. Still I love the tune. Obviously Dave would have to sing it differently in his own style which may even make the vocals better lol but I'd love to hear this live again.

The crime isn't so much the disrespect to the other singers...the crime with all of this is that Ed has created a lot of amazing music during his career and because of band bullshit his live repertoire is compromised. That's the crime. Ed is a once in a generation dude or better.
    Good post. It's a pity for the fans, but nothing said here is going to change it, I guess. Time to move on . . .

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love, I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVH_INC View Post
    Once a singer is given the boot (Cherone apart, given that he was a one no-hit wonder), they are pretty much dead to the VH brothers.

VH have shat on their fans by ignoring the Hagar era. It's ridiculous, short-sighted and insulting to their fans. I can't think of another band that treats their fans this way. Can you name any other band of a reasonable following that treats their fans this way?

At least Hagar had the class to acknowledge the back catalogue when he joined the band. There was no way he wanted to sing Jump or Panama or other hits, but he did it . . . for the fans!

VH only does things now for the fans when they want their cash . . . I'm sure a lot of you won't agree, but that's my opinion. If they could have gotten away with doing another tour without a new record, I'm sure they would have done it (or at least seriously considered it).
    Wow...that's a lot of bitterness and pretty jaded. In the end, do you WANT to hear Dave attempt to sing Sammy era songs or hear them in a completely lower key? C'mon, Dave doesn't have the range. He CANT sing them. Period. I love quite a few of the Sammy era songs, but have no desire to hear Dave screech out Dreams and the like. I don't think its a lack of class. Its a lack of ability. You don't think that if Dave had the range that a small bit of his ego would love to belt out a Sammy song as well as Sammy did?

In fact, you are lauding Sammy's class to sing Dave era stuff. Well, Sammy COULD sing all the Dave era songs...and if we want to go there, why didn't Sammy sing MORE of the Dave era songs when he had the opportunity? He sang only the songs he HAD to sing. Panama, Jump, ATBL and a few others. He didn't dip into Mean Streets, and many others that he had every opportunity to sing, but didn't. At the same rate, why don't we talk about Eddie's class to perform Sammy solo material while we're at it. Sammy sang his stuff, while ignoring VH songs from the back catalog he couldve been singing.

So, let's not twist the facts just to support a unsubstantiated argument/opinion.

I appreciate both Sammy and Dave eras. I would love to hear those songs as much as anyone. I am simply trying to point out a flaw in your statements. Sammy deserves less credit than you give him and Eddie and Dave deserve less blame for the things you point out. Don't like it, sit at home and listen to your Sammy CDs. As for many of the rest of us, we'll enjoy the new material with Dave and enjoy the live shows even without the Sammy material. They wouldn't get my money for another tour of old VH classics, but they will get it, since they put out a new CD and will probably perform 1/3 to 1/2 of those tunes on this tour. I don't think that is "shitting" on the fans at all.

I think Ed doing some instrumentals would be a nice nod to that era music, it kinda would ring hollow to me. At that rate, why bother? I'd rather not hear parts of songs that I'm not going to hear to completion. i mean..."Finish What Ya Started" ya know. Who knows, maybe if Wolfie has the range and the pipes, maybe they could surprise us and have him belt out a Sammy era hit. Would that satisfy you?
    Last edited by Garywascooltoo; 02.15.12 at 02:44 AM.
    "Forked tongue in double-speak"

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Do we really need another thread on this? It's not happening guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]