Fraulines und Kinder First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hagar stuff is in bold.
    Comments..?

Enjoy the music but don't be duped into buying the brand.
    Scotland on Sunday;
    Edinburgh (UK); Nov 10, 2002; by JONATHAN TREW

Copyright Scotsman Publications Nov 10, 2002

ALTHOUGH it seems ridiculously quaint now, there was a time when musicians only made music. Singers sang, guitarists plucked and drummers battered whatever was put in front of them. Fans would go to concerts and buy CDs in order to hear the music. It was a simple arrangement but one which worked for both parties.

Today, it seems any musician worth his leather trousers has to have his own clothing range, scent and jewellery design business to be taken seriously. Number One albums, fast cars and unsuitable sleeping partners used to be the status symbols of the rock star. Now it is the number of brand extensions your business portfolio boasts.

Willie Nelson is the latest musician to come to the conclusion that while the music thing is all well and good, what he really needs is some other business on the side. Willie's wizard dollar- spinner is his own Old Whiskey River bourbon, titled after his 1978 song of the same name.

According to the blurb, "Like Willie, Old Whiskey River hits all the right notes, lyrical and smooth." Each bottle comes with an autographed guitar pick - presumably so his fans can play the air guitar a little more convincingly after a few slugs of Whiskey River.

Willie is not the first to turn himself from a living, breathing human being into a brand. P Diddy has his clothing line, Sean John, while J-Lo has her perfume, G-low. Whether she changed her name from Jennifer Lopez to sound more street or to flog more scent is a moot point.

Celine Dion is said to be keen to muscle in on the perfume racket and has a scent scheduled to launch at the same time as she starts a three-year residency in Las Vegas next year. The name of the perfume is still under wraps, but it is understood that Eau de Horseface has been ruled out.

Not to be outdone, Sammy Hagar of 1980s poodle rockers Van Halen (Schultz comment - poodle rockers? Huh?) has his own tequila called Cabo Wabo. Asked what Cabo Wabo was about, Hagar replied: "The way I live my life is the Cabo Wabo lifestyle, so everything I do, it promotes itself." Pressed further on what exactly he meant by the 'Cabo Wabo' lifestyle, Hagar revealed: "It's about spicy food, margarita shots and having fun." Presumably, the Cabo Wabo lifestyle won't be endorsed by the US surgeon-general any time soon.

These products go way beyond merchandising. They are not souvenirs of a concert or a bit of fun like the thongs Rod Stewart sells at his concerts.

It is almost possible to understand why a fan would buy a Celine Dion Hot Air Around The World tour T-shirt, but it is harder to see why anyone would be sucked in to buying a perfume she has made. What irks about these ventures is that they are cynically selling the illusion of a celebrity lifestyle to fans. What they are saying is that you, Joe Public, can touch a little bit of that celebrity sparkle by drinking Willie Whiskey or dousing yourself in J-Lo smelly.

They have nothing to do with the talent that originally attracted fans to them. Instead they prostitute that talent and that attraction. They are products that supposedly represent the artist's brand values and then spin them into a commodity. It is a tawdry game that cheapens any connection between an artist and the public.

The entire concept is a hubristic nonsense to begin with. Who sat down and tried to put hisfinger on what exactly J-Lo's core brand values were in the first place? The qualities which first spring to mind when thinking of J-Lo are diva behaviour, short-lived romances and too much attention on the exact proportions of her backside. How do you begin to translate that little lot into a scent and can self- importance be bottled in the first place?

What is truly disturbing is that people do buy this stuff. No matter how ridiculous the notion that anyone who chooses to call himself P Diddy should advise on fashion, the Sean John label sells well. People do buy into the illusion that they can experience a little dusting of celeb glamour by lining the pockets of already rich stars.

But still, the possibilities of the growing trend for brand extension are terrifying. Jim Davidson could bring out his own brand of lager called, say, Trueblue and market it in the same way as Willie's Whiskey. "Like Jim, Trueblue is full of gas and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth." What's next? The Robbie Williams condom? Madonna maternity wear? The Daniella Westbrook platinum septum?

Just keep your cash in your wallet and together we can stop this money-grabbing ego trip before it gets completely out of hand. Otherwise bands, brands and corporations will be inseperable. The Rolling Stones already seem more like a multinational luxury and leisure goods company than a rock 'n' roll band, and others are keen to follow in their footsteps.
    Sammy Hagar's new band is called the Waborites after his liquor. Unintentionally ironic, their latest album is called Not 4 Sale. If only.
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

"Poodle Rock?"

Them is fighting words.
    If Van Halen were "poodle rock" in the 80's, then the poodles in Scottland must be rabid. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 12, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's too bad the author of the article wasn't aware that Sammy also sells Cabo Wabo / Hagar branded slippers, incense, shampoo, conditioner and baby outfits (officially known as the "Baby Waborita Romper").

Check it at: http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...rceCode=SHAWEB

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sweet William:
    It's too bad the author of the article wasn't aware that Sammy also sells Cabo Wabo / Hagar branded slippers, incense, shampoo, conditioner and baby outfits (officially known as the "Baby Waborita Romper").

Check it at: http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/fanfire.woa/wa/artist?artist Name=Sammy+Hagar&sourceCode=SHAWEB
    The only thing Sammy doesnt sell these days is records !

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

TYWH, Humans Being
    Last Online

09.03.12 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Daved Mikalex:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sweet William:

The only thing Sammy doesnt sell these days is records !</font>[/QUOTE]yeah, DLR is really racking up the sales right now.
    Light em' up!!!

"You can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
    Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Diamond Dave\'s No Holds Bar-B-Que
    Favorite VH Song

"Lucille" live in \'81
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Diamond David Lee Roth is The Heavyweight Champion of Rock N Roll. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do you EVER miss a chance to take a dig at Sammy? Grow up already.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:45 AM
    Liked 547 Times in 328 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

God, I fucking hate writers like this dip shit.

Yup, Sam's a singer, can't do anything else. Just ignore the fact that the tequila is really fucking good.

And Cher's a singer, shouldn't act - oops, she won an oscar, maybe she's an actress who shouldn't sing, oops, that doesn't work either...

And Ronald Reagan's an actor, shouldn't go into politics, oops, fucking wrong there (or, if a Democrat, substitute Bill Bradley and basketball player)...
    Hmmm, Michael Jordan is just a sweaty smelly athlete, shouldn't bother with a line of shoes or clothes - oops, wrong, it's made him more money than that fucking writer could count...

DaVinci (spell?) is a painter, no, an inventor, no, a scientist, no...

Fucking dip shit writers ought to stick to the unemployment line, that really is all they can do.
    No, Sam hasn't done anything remotely close to winning an oscar, or going into politics, or inventing anything, but fuck that guy, people can do what they want. If they can make money doing it, God bless. Sam is selling his shit to adults, at least he's not trying to rip off kids like the toy companies do with little boy band dolls.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mas Tequila:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Daved Mikalex:

Check it at: http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/fanfire.woa/wa/artist?artist Name=Sammy+Hagar&sourceCode=SHAWEB
    The only thing Sammy doesnt sell these days is records !</font>[/QUOTE]yeah, DLR is really racking up the sales right now. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree, I think its time for the David Lee range of toothpaste, boxer shorts, shampoo and baby clothes....

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Daved Mikalex:
    Do you EVER miss a chance to take a dig at Sammy? Grow up already.</font>[/QUOTE]Well seeing as there a great deal of threads at this site devoted to Sammy, and the fact that I dont reply in each thread, I would say, yes, I do miss many chances.

Ok, let me guess, Schoolteacher ? Public Service Worker, Parking officer?, Frustrated parent, or just somebody that enjoys talking down to people ?
    I may take digs at Sammy, but I dont personally tell posters here what to do, or act like some kind of fucked up parent figure.

"Grow up Already ?"

Ok Mommy...

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

yeah, DLR is really racking up the sales right now. [/QB][/QUOTE]
    Yep, every time a Van Halen album ( Van Halen 1 thru 1984) rolls off the shelf ole Diamond Dave is racking up sales. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Who cares if a musician sells a product. At first, I bought Sammy's tequila because of him until I tried it. I enjoyed the taste so I bought more. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not trying to get a little taste of the 'celebrity lifestyle', I just like the product. Trust me, if I thought it sucked I wouldn't have bought another one.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Raldo:
    Who cares if a musician sells a product. At first, I bought Sammy's tequila because of him until I tried it. I enjoyed the taste so I bought more. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not trying to get a little taste of the 'celebrity lifestyle', I just like the product. Trust me, if I thought it sucked I wouldn't have bought another one.
    I believe the tequila is good, and I think its the kind of thing an old Pop star can hang his hat on, but Baby Clothes, Shampoo, Toothpaste etc etc ? Is Sammy a musician or a K-mart store ??

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

No way-Another Sammy V. Dave thread.

Damn, I miss these
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The only thing Sammy doesnt sell these days is records !</font>[/QUOTE]Why is it always YOU that fucking starts shit, will you just lay off and chillax for one thread.
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo Wabo® Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper