Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: EVH pickups

  1. #1
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    08.10.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    77
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    RUNAROUND
    Last Online

    09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default EVH pickups

    Has anyone else out there tried putting a set of the EVH Wolfgang pickups in an Axis? My bridge pickup in my main Axis guitar ended up with a broken winding in it and after a few months of trying to find a Blackback replacement I said screw it tonite and put a complete set of EVH pickups in it and I gotta say it is amazing. I also have a EVH wolfgang and this is like having the best of both worlds in one guitar. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and if not it's worth the half hour to give it a try hooking a set up in one it really picks up the slack and fills the tone holes where the old blackback pickups left off and the added sustain is amazing!!!!
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! johnnybeane's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.09
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    3,227
    Favorite VH Album

    Woman and children first
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    358
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

    Default

    Id like to try some.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

    With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

    NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

    My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

    "Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

  3. #3
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I installed a set of EVH Wolfgang pickups in my gold top Peavey Wolfgang. Harmonics and overtones come alive with them. They really are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	England_EVH_Pups_Jan_2011_03.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	1542  

  4. #4
    On Fire
    Join Date
    04.14.11
    Posts
    345
    Last Online

    10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    GEC5150 i sent you a PM asking a question]

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,257
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I had a EVH bridge pickup in my OLP MM1 and it was overall pretty decent. The mids were insane but the lows weren't hot enough for me. Highs were decent as well. Reminded me a lot of a Dimarzio tone zone in a way. I'm really digging the Duncan JB as of late.

  6. #6
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Posts
    62
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Neck Pick up

    I have a DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis neck pick up for sale. PM me if interested.

  7. #7
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    08.10.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    77
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    RUNAROUND
    Last Online

    09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I appreciate the offer on the neck pickup but the one I have was fine it was the bridge that ended up fried. thanks though!
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

  8. #8
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    03.17.06
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    155
    Last Online

    02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default pick ups

    Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I installed a set of EVH Wolfgang pickups in my gold top Peavey Wolfgang. Harmonics and overtones come alive with them. They really are great.
    Hi AT

    do you notice a difference if you compare them to the old Peavey Wolfgang pick ups?

    all the best
    L

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Hi AT

    do you notice a difference if you compare them to the old Peavey Wolfgang pick ups?

    all the best
    L
    Yes. The easiest way to describe it is the new Wolfgang pickups sound brighter. Comparatively, the PV Wolf pickups and the EVH Wolf pickups measure about the same resistance--17k on the neck and 14k on the bridge. In general I've noticed a lot more in the way of overtones and harmonic sustain from the EVH Wolf pups. I always really loved the dark warmth of the PV Wolf pups, and I liked them a lot more than the EBMM EVH pups. So I was cautiously skeptical about the new ones. But I bought a set and opted to put them in my gold top Wolfgang (I wanted them in a Wolf with a maple top). Before I could even give them a decent evaluation through my regular gear I found myself in a recording session with that guitar tracking a doubled rhythm part and a solo for another artist's song. I played it through my 5150 combo and no effects. I was wearing headphones during the session and didn't get much of a chance to listen back through the control room monitors. A couple of weeks later we came back to mix the song during which time I thought I kept hearing "organ-like" chord tones. There was no keyboards of any kind in the song, however. I soloed out all the other instrument and vocal tracks to see if I could isolate what I thought was headphone bleed or something creating those ghost tones. When I finally soloed the guitar tracks I discovered the "organ": harmonic overtones literally SINGING from those pickups. I'd never heard them so pronounced before. It was an amazingly awesome glimpse into how wonderful those pickups are.

  10. #10
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    03.17.06
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    155
    Last Online

    02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default pick up

    Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Yes. The easiest way to describe it is the new Wolfgang pickups sound brighter. Comparatively, the PV Wolf pickups and the EVH Wolf pickups measure about the same resistance--17k on the neck and 14k on the bridge. In general I've noticed a lot more in the way of overtones and harmonic sustain from the EVH Wolf pups. I always really loved the dark warmth of the PV Wolf pups, and I liked them a lot more than the EBMM EVH pups. So I was cautiously skeptical about the new ones. But I bought a set and opted to put them in my gold top Wolfgang (I wanted them in a Wolf with a maple top). Before I could even give them a decent evaluation through my regular gear I found myself in a recording session with that guitar tracking a doubled rhythm part and a solo for another artist's song. I played it through my 5150 combo and no effects. I was wearing headphones during the session and didn't get much of a chance to listen back through the control room monitors. A couple of weeks later we came back to mix the song during which time I thought I kept hearing "organ-like" chord tones. There was no keyboards of any kind in the song, however. I soloed out all the other instrument and vocal tracks to see if I could isolate what I thought was headphone bleed or something creating those ghost tones. When I finally soloed the guitar tracks I discovered the "organ": harmonic overtones literally SINGING from those pickups. I'd never heard them so pronounced before. It was an amazingly awesome glimpse into how wonderful those pickups are.

    aha, thanks for the info At

    rgds
    L

  11. #11
    On Fire
    Join Date
    04.14.11
    Posts
    345
    Last Online

    10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warnstedt View Post
    I have a DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis neck pick up for sale. PM me if interested.
    PM sent

  12. #12
    Romeo Delight Stringbreaker64's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.12
    Age
    53
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    42
    Favorite VH Album

    Panama
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

    09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I know it has been a few months sense there was any action on this topic. I managed to pick up set of Wolfgang Pickups and a Wolfgang Special neck. I mounted the neck on a OLP MM1 I upgraded with a 80's Kramer Floyd Rose.
    My issue was that the pickups had the two layers of foam on the back of the pickup so the only thing I could do was guess on which pickup went where.

    I did note the resistance of both pickups and they were 15.48k and 14.23k. I put the 14.23k pickup in the neck position. From reading the post that AT wrote, I think I might have put it in the wrong place. If there is another way to figure this out please let me know.

    Thx,
    Kevin

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer BSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.21.07
    Posts
    24
    Last Online

    08.30.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Did they fit right in or did you have to do any routing?

    Quote Originally Posted by GEC5150 View Post
    Has anyone else out there tried putting a set of the EVH Wolfgang pickups in an Axis? My bridge pickup in my main Axis guitar ended up with a broken winding in it and after a few months of trying to find a Blackback replacement I said screw it tonite and put a complete set of EVH pickups in it and I gotta say it is amazing. I also have a EVH wolfgang and this is like having the best of both worlds in one guitar. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and if not it's worth the half hour to give it a try hooking a set up in one it really picks up the slack and fills the tone holes where the old blackback pickups left off and the added sustain is amazing!!!!

  14. #14
    Romeo Delight Stringbreaker64's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.12
    Age
    53
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    42
    Favorite VH Album

    Panama
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

    09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Mine slipped right in

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight Stringbreaker64's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.12
    Age
    53
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    42
    Favorite VH Album

    Panama
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

    09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GEC5150 View Post
    Has anyone else out there tried putting a set of the EVH Wolfgang pickups in an Axis? My bridge pickup in my main Axis guitar ended up with a broken winding in it and after a few months of trying to find a Blackback replacement I said screw it tonite and put a complete set of EVH pickups in it and I gotta say it is amazing. I also have a EVH wolfgang and this is like having the best of both worlds in one guitar. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and if not it's worth the half hour to give it a try hooking a set up in one it really picks up the slack and fills the tone holes where the old blackback pickups left off and the added sustain is amazing!!!!
    Which EVH Pickups did you use? I'm so skeptical of buying any EVH Pups. I can't say for 100% that the Wolfgang pups I picked up are for real or not. I picked up a EVH Franken pickup and put it in my Epy LP Jr. and it rocks.
    Last edited by Stringbreaker64; 04.26.12 at 09:07 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pickups??
    By spw5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.06.07, 08:24 PM
  2. New Pickups
    By pancho in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06.04.07, 09:09 AM
  3. GFS pickups
    By solo-ed in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10.30.06, 08:07 PM
  4. Pickups
    By edguitarplayinfreak in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03.06.05, 03:17 PM
  5. Pickups
    By Eternal Horizon in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11.18.02, 05:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •