Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH pickups

Has anyone else out there tried putting a set of the EVH Wolfgang pickups in an Axis? My bridge pickup in my main Axis guitar ended up with a broken winding in it and after a few months of trying to find a Blackback replacement I said screw it tonite and put a complete set of EVH pickups in it and I gotta say it is amazing. I also have a EVH wolfgang and this is like having the best of both worlds in one guitar. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and if not it's worth the half hour to give it a try hooking a set up in one it really picks up the slack and fills the tone holes where the old blackback pickups left off and the added sustain is amazing!!!!
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Id like to try some.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I installed a set of EVH Wolfgang pickups in my gold top Peavey Wolfgang. Harmonics and overtones come alive with them. They really are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	England_EVH_Pups_Jan_2011_03.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	1542  

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GEC5150 i sent you a PM asking a question]

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I had a EVH bridge pickup in my OLP MM1 and it was overall pretty decent. The mids were insane but the lows weren't hot enough for me. Highs were decent as well. Reminded me a lot of a Dimarzio tone zone in a way. I'm really digging the Duncan JB as of late.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Neck Pick up

I have a DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis neck pick up for sale. PM me if interested.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate the offer on the neck pickup but the one I have was fine it was the bridge that ended up fried. thanks though!
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default pick ups

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I installed a set of EVH Wolfgang pickups in my gold top Peavey Wolfgang. Harmonics and overtones come alive with them. They really are great.
    Hi AT

do you notice a difference if you compare them to the old Peavey Wolfgang pick ups?

all the best
    L

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Hi AT

do you notice a difference if you compare them to the old Peavey Wolfgang pick ups?

all the best
    L
    Yes. The easiest way to describe it is the new Wolfgang pickups sound brighter. Comparatively, the PV Wolf pickups and the EVH Wolf pickups measure about the same resistance--17k on the neck and 14k on the bridge. In general I've noticed a lot more in the way of overtones and harmonic sustain from the EVH Wolf pups. I always really loved the dark warmth of the PV Wolf pups, and I liked them a lot more than the EBMM EVH pups. So I was cautiously skeptical about the new ones. But I bought a set and opted to put them in my gold top Wolfgang (I wanted them in a Wolf with a maple top). Before I could even give them a decent evaluation through my regular gear I found myself in a recording session with that guitar tracking a doubled rhythm part and a solo for another artist's song. I played it through my 5150 combo and no effects. I was wearing headphones during the session and didn't get much of a chance to listen back through the control room monitors. A couple of weeks later we came back to mix the song during which time I thought I kept hearing "organ-like" chord tones. There was no keyboards of any kind in the song, however. I soloed out all the other instrument and vocal tracks to see if I could isolate what I thought was headphone bleed or something creating those ghost tones. When I finally soloed the guitar tracks I discovered the "organ": harmonic overtones literally SINGING from those pickups. I'd never heard them so pronounced before. It was an amazingly awesome glimpse into how wonderful those pickups are.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default pick up

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Yes. The easiest way to describe it is the new Wolfgang pickups sound brighter. Comparatively, the PV Wolf pickups and the EVH Wolf pickups measure about the same resistance--17k on the neck and 14k on the bridge. In general I've noticed a lot more in the way of overtones and harmonic sustain from the EVH Wolf pups. I always really loved the dark warmth of the PV Wolf pups, and I liked them a lot more than the EBMM EVH pups. So I was cautiously skeptical about the new ones. But I bought a set and opted to put them in my gold top Wolfgang (I wanted them in a Wolf with a maple top). Before I could even give them a decent evaluation through my regular gear I found myself in a recording session with that guitar tracking a doubled rhythm part and a solo for another artist's song. I played it through my 5150 combo and no effects. I was wearing headphones during the session and didn't get much of a chance to listen back through the control room monitors. A couple of weeks later we came back to mix the song during which time I thought I kept hearing "organ-like" chord tones. There was no keyboards of any kind in the song, however. I soloed out all the other instrument and vocal tracks to see if I could isolate what I thought was headphone bleed or something creating those ghost tones. When I finally soloed the guitar tracks I discovered the "organ": harmonic overtones literally SINGING from those pickups. I'd never heard them so pronounced before. It was an amazingly awesome glimpse into how wonderful those pickups are.

aha, thanks for the info At

rgds
    L

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warnstedt View Post
    I have a DiMarzio Ernie Ball Music Man Axis neck pick up for sale. PM me if interested.
    PM sent

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it has been a few months sense there was any action on this topic. I managed to pick up set of Wolfgang Pickups and a Wolfgang Special neck. I mounted the neck on a OLP MM1 I upgraded with a 80's Kramer Floyd Rose.
    My issue was that the pickups had the two layers of foam on the back of the pickup so the only thing I could do was guess on which pickup went where.

I did note the resistance of both pickups and they were 15.48k and 14.23k. I put the 14.23k pickup in the neck position. From reading the post that AT wrote, I think I might have put it in the wrong place. If there is another way to figure this out please let me know.

Thx,
    Kevin

Last Online

08.30.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did they fit right in or did you have to do any routing?

Quote Originally Posted by GEC5150 View Post
    Has anyone else out there tried putting a set of the EVH Wolfgang pickups in an Axis? My bridge pickup in my main Axis guitar ended up with a broken winding in it and after a few months of trying to find a Blackback replacement I said screw it tonite and put a complete set of EVH pickups in it and I gotta say it is amazing. I also have a EVH wolfgang and this is like having the best of both worlds in one guitar. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and if not it's worth the half hour to give it a try hooking a set up in one it really picks up the slack and fills the tone holes where the old blackback pickups left off and the added sustain is amazing!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine slipped right in

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GEC5150 View Post
    Which EVH Pickups did you use? I'm so skeptical of buying any EVH Pups. I can't say for 100% that the Wolfgang pups I picked up are for real or not. I picked up a EVH Franken pickup and put it in my Epy LP Jr. and it rocks.
    Last edited by Stringbreaker64; 04.26.12 at 09:07 PM.