Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkn' Bout Love.
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Where were you when you first heard "Running With The Devil?"

This is a post for all VH fans, who would like to share memories, maybe make comparisons, but refrain from being negative....?

There is so much garbage out there about the incarnations of "Van Halen". However, in my world it is so simple, and bear with me in my elaboration. Van Halen has always been defined by Eddie's guitar, however, stay in check, David Lee's front and vocals complimented Eddie's style in a way that few had experienced in the 1970's. The power of their debut album blew most exec's into rethinking rock-n-roll. Few bands in 1977 went from fronting a band to headlining within 6 months, they blew the A&R market away. Van Halen defined an era in the United States that had always been dominate by fantastic European bands. By 1984 Van Halen was considered to be the number one band in the world, a place few American musicians had flirted with in the past.

My first memory of VH was sitting outside of Roberts Stadium, Evansvillle, IN in 1978 listening to "Running with the Devil". We got there late and decided not to spend the $6.75 to see the last two songs. I did however catch them two years later in North Carolina in 1979 and it rocked my world.

I am now 51 years old and driving around California with my windows down like it was 1979. Of course I no longer drive a Datsun B210, but the memories are still so relevant. Let's all enjoy this seldom seen moment in music history..

Enjoy!

Chris

Evansville, IN 1978 - VHI (Black Sabbath)
    Raliegh, NC 1979 - VHII
    Louisville, Ky 1982 - Diver Down

Sacramento, CA 11/27/07 - Oldies Tour
    Louisville, KY 2/18/12 - ADKOT
    Denver, CO 5/24/12 - ADKOT
    Los Angeles, CA 6/09/12 - ADKOT

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

My brother bought the album after we walked into Havasu Records and Feel Your Love Tonight was playing. He loved it, so he bought it. When we got home, he put on side 2 immediately. I think we played side 2 for a week until we listened to side 1.

And then one day he put it on side 1. We were immediately hit by that monster groove of Runnin... and could have kicked ourselves for not listening to this side earlier.

And then we heard Eruption.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the pool in the summer of '78 and the punk teenagers who picked on my 6 y.o. self would always play the 8-track. In retrospect I should associate the album with torment but it was too cool sounding. Not to mention I secretly aspired to be like those dudes with their kick ass mopeds and 10-speeds.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Towson University,Baltimore Maryland.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Summer party in the old Coal strippings in Northeast Pa. I first heard it on a Craig Powerplay Eight Track player. I still have that eight track......

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

That was over 30 years ago, I can't remember.

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

China Town,Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.03.12 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great post/topic

I was 8 years old, 1978, and just remember standing in my older brother's bedroom, while he was just chilling out, or getting ready to go somewhere, don't really remember.

I remember hearing that car horn introduction (but not knowing what the heck it was), and a sound for the next three and a half minutes that TOTALLY FLOORED me. I had no idea who it was, didn't ask my brother, but just remember being transfixed to the stereo. Just in silence.....in shock, like when George McFly was visited by Darth Vader (via EVH playing) lol

A year or 2 later, heard it again (got VH I on vinyl, 'after' getting VH II, my first Van Halen album). And heard it again, and I 'immediately' remembered that time when I was 8 y.o. and heard it.....and never forgot it.....

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I will never forget it. I was 12, Spring of 1979. It was after school and I was riding in a school bus on the way home. My friend had a cassette tape recorder on the bus with like a 2" speaker. He was playing the tape of RWTD. It was the fluidity and the perfect inverted third harmony of that guitar playing a D over pounding E bass with the E4 vocal harmony on the word 'devilllll' on top. It was like the most beautiful combination of sound I've ever heard. I remember thinking to myself, holy crap, that is the coolest sounding guitar I've ever heard. Edward would flatten his B string just a hair so the hormonic beats would line up perfectly for his chords and they would sound just killer. I think I had goosebumps and said, "Wow, who is that?" My introduction to what would be my favorite band of my entire life. Soon after that, my brother bought the 45 single of Dance the Night Away with Outta Love Again on the B side. I played it to death. For Christmas that year I got Van Halen II on cassette. It wasn't until I was able to earn some money the following summer mowing lawns that I was finally able to buy myself what I called "Van Halen I" on cassette which I bought from a Walgreen type of store. I played that tape constantly for months straight. That and VHII. Then, WACF came out... And on the story goes.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

I know exactly where I was. I had never heard of Van Halen - but based strictly on the album cover and song titles - bought the album in late Feb/early March 1978. I quite literally was the first kid in my high school to buy the album - and I immediately turned all my friends onto it. Literally within a couple of weeks - it seemed like it was blaring out of car windows all over town.

Getting back to where I was - it was in my parent's living room sitting on the couch. I put the album on the stereo - and literally from the first few notes I sat and listened to side one in awe of what I was hearing. I played Eruption a couple more times, and then listened to side two. My sister came in and asked what band was on the stereo - and she said they sounded really good. She was more of a pop rock listener, so for her to say a hard rock album sounded good, meant something.

34 years later - and the memory is still quite vivid.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

I could never forget....painting the fence at my parents house in Long Island NY. Spring of 78. I was really into Yes and Lynard Skynard at the time. My friend Drew (thanks Drew!!) gave me a cassette and said listen to this when you get home. Got my little portable Panasonic cassette recorder (remember those!!) popped in the cassette and started painting. Of course I immediately stopped painting about 30 seconds into RWTD. I remember just staring at the cassette recorder. WTF is that. Then the real mind blower came on....ERUPTION. I was floored. By the time ATBL was over I went up to my room and brought down my stereo. Ran an extension cord from the garage and listened to the whole thing in awe. Didn't get much painting done!! From that day...up until this moment it was game over for me. To me the sound of Eddie's playing is one of the biggest joy's in my life. And I have to admit the first time I heard ADKOT I was totally blown away also !!!
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,935 Times in 784 Posts

Premium Member

I was a kid in the early 80s when I heard RWTD. That car horn at the start is one of the best openings of a rock song ever IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I was 14 and still listening to disco and what-not, when in comes my brother with the new Halen album. He made me listen to RWTD many times - very loudly I might add - also Eruption. My brother totally got me into VH whether I wanted to listen or not. Needless to say it was the beginning of many, many years of VH listening and news reading with Circus and Creem. I always looked forward to reading about their tours and seeing the pics. Not to mention all the shows.

If it wasn't for my brother I'd probably still be listening to disco.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Tie van halen & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Ice cream man
    Last Online

04.30.15 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

My story is a little different from some of you, cause im a little bit younger. I was actually introduced to van halen from 1984. I was in kindergarden and the teacher was asking what your fa orite song was and all the kther little kids were saying ring around the rosie and other nearsery rhyme kinda stuff. Well I said jump by van halen. I loved that song as a little kid, I had cool uncles.

Well fastforeward to when I was in high school, my friends family was pretty big into van halen . This was around the time of balance. I traded my friends brother something for 1984 on cd, cause I really wanted to listen to jump again. I instantly fell in love with the whole album. From that moment on I was hooked on van halen, I proceeded to then go to the sammy stuff because I bought right here right now, cause it had a lot fo good songs on it. Well I was at my friends house one day and and we were talking about van halen and other great rock bands when his dad put on van halen. I was like wholly shit!! I couldnt beleave that the band I was obsessed with had an album like this and I was just now hearing it. I went out and bought it as soon as I could, and eventually got all of their albums. I bought best of volume 1, 3, bobw, and adkot the day they came out. The rest is history.
    Last edited by Mikeyj122; 02.11.12 at 08:22 AM.
    Mikey "fuckin" J

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I was 7 years old riding a summer camp bus in July of 1978...I remember it like yesterday. First time I ever heard Van Halen. Obviously I was just too young to appreciate it at the time, I didn't become a fan until 1981 when I was older and a friend gave me the "Fair Warning" cassette. The rest is history. But I always have remembered the first time I heard the band.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.10.14 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was about 11 years old in 1980. My music exposure primarily had to do with whatever my parents listened to on the radio. "And the Cradle Will Rock" was getting played now and again and everytime I heard it I was amazed at how much louder and bigger it sounded compared to other songs on the raidio.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I am telling my babysitter about that song. She says she loves Van Halen but I need to listen to this tape. She puts in Van Halen 1 and the first song begins. It had such an impact on me that 30something years later I am 42 years old and responding to a discussion board thread on a VH forum when there are probably a million other things I should be doing. But here I am.
    I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it.
    Rodney Dangerfield