Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Demo/Early versions VS ADKOT cuts?

Just curious what everyone thinks?

For the most part, I like every ADKOT version of the demo versions better- except for Big River. I love the new guitar solo in BR, but for me the rawness of Big Trouble makes it just a little better.

On a sidenote- House of Pain is another song i think the Demo version just blows away the 1984 version. Forgot how raw and heavy that song was till i listened to it again for the first time in years the other day.
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The old demos are good for what they were...low fi raw songs with an edge..

the new versions obviously sound better sonically and lyrically I think they are better for the most part...a lot of those old lyrics were kinda cheesy IMHO....

and i wonder whose idea it was too change "bring on the girls" to "beautiful girls"?

smart choice...
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Down In Flames > Tattoo
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

I still like the vocal melody of Let's Get Rockin' more than Outta Space, but other than that I like the new versions more. I was never a huge a Down In Flames fan.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

Not huge on "Beats Workin" melody wise. And "Outta Space," the lyrics are not really doin it for me, especially since another VH song has "Outta" in its title, the superior "Outta Love Again."
    Little Dreamer

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Changes Every Hour
    Favorite VH Song

Changes Every Minute
    Last Online

09.30.14 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is both accepted?...Love the vibes of both sets of tracks!

Demos bring back memories of when I first discovered the bootlegs.

New ones remind be of over a decade of trolling this site

"si senior"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I still like the vocal melody of Let's Get Rockin' more than Outta Space, but other than that I like the new versions more. I was never a huge a Down In Flames fan.
    Wow- thats the song i think has the best upgrade from the early version! It's grown on me the most and that and Bullethead are the two songs I walk around work singing out loud and getting in people's faces with... My staff thinks I've kind of lost it actually
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,131 Posts

Premium Member

Tattoo < Down In Flames - but this isn't really fair, because they are really two completely different songs and vibes. Just because it recycles the riff doesn't make it the same song. Song structures are different as well.

Outta Space = Let's Get Rockin' - original lyrics are...uninspired. Outta Space isn't Shakespeare, but I think it's slightly more original. Plus the production value is better. Energy is better (slightly) in LGR.

Blood and Fire > Ripley

Big River = Big Trouble - love the blue collar river town aspect of the new version (duh, look where I live ), but again, the enery was solid in the first version...hard to beat.

She's the Woman = She's the Woman - basically same song

Bullethead = Bullethead - added production equals out the energy of the original recording

Beats Workin' > Put Out the Lights - better vocal melody, epic finish

Final Tally? ADKOT > Demos
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

03.02.14 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Not huge on "Beats Workin" melody wise. And "Outta Space," the lyrics are not really doin it for me, especially since another VH song has "Outta" in its title, the superior "Outta Love Again."
    I agree with you 100%. I may be biased as Let's Get Rockin and Turn Out The Lights were two of my favorites from the unrelased demos. Musically, they sound amazing on ADKOT but dave's new lyrics are mediocre. With that said, Outta Space & Beats Workin are the 2 tracks on ADKOT that I have not listened to much because the lyrics annoy the hell out of me.

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

China Town,Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.03.12 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like many here, absolutely love all the Blueprint demos, so much great stuff on there. And have worn them out for years.

That said, I love the ADKOT versions MORE! Pretty much every song. At first, only with Big River and Big Trouble, it's a tough call for me personally. Always loved Big Trouble, but the lyrics would have been kind of silly to be singing from a guy in his mid-50s ("....put on your drawers...") or maybe Dave could have been singing from the perspective of the parent!

But on subsequent listens, Big River has grown on me big-time, and love it more, and the theme Roth uses.

And just to add, VH is getting that flack of "Oh, they are just using old demos, they are not being creative"....lots of debbie downers out there (geez there their 'own' songs, and they went to that Blueprint Well on many occasions as we all know).

But in all honesty, it's 'a lot' harder to take an existing song (ie. the old demos), and add new lyrics, melodies, and new twists to them, respectively. Dave did an amazing job in this regards, and the band really added some cool twist and turns musically to the songs.

What I mean by it being harder, these songs have been dormant and set in stone for a long time....to try and come up with something new and different to them, AND pull it off and make it great, well, not an easy feat.

Can't get enough of out of this album!
    Last edited by BBURKE; 02.11.12 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something to original comment

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

My opinions:

Tattoo is worse than Down In Flames - Tattoo is better everywhere except the chorus. If anything, Down in Flames had a VERY catchy chorus you like the first time. "Tattoo Tatoo" is amateur hour.

Outta Space is better than Let's Get Rockin' - Obviously the production, but listening to the old demo you can tell why they were not signed. DLR wasn't hitting the notes. Plus, I actually like the singing better on Outta even if DLR did hit the notes. Outta Space sounds like it could have been on Van Halen 1.

Big River is better than Big Trouble - Production, Solo, lyrics....although I don't understand the lyrics that well.

She's the Woman new is worse than She's the Woman - basically I don't like the new bridge. The Mean Street bridge was great (I realize they couldn't just put it on ADKOT)

Bullethead new is better than Bullethead - obviously better quality. Who knows, maybe if we had Ted Templeman do it on VH1 it would have been better.

Beats Workin' is worse than Put Out the Lights - DLR is just screaming in this. Barely hitting the notes, sounds like he is going to have a hernia. With that said, the Solo in Beat's Workin' is sensational. I liked the chorus better in Put Out the Lights.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

"Tattoo" is so different from "Down In Flames" - it stands on its own.

I like what DLR did with "She's The Woman" - keeping the title/chorus the same and re-writing the verses. That way it's not such a mental U-turn for us hardcore fans, but at least the main body of lyrics are updated.

Since "Ripley" never had lyrics, "Blood And Fire" is just a progression for us after hearing the instrumental version first.

"Bullethead" is 1000x better than the best live versions out there from 1976-77. I love this song - my favorite off the CD.

"Outta Space" has grown me, but I wish DLR would have done the same here as he did with "She's The Woman" and left the "Let's Get Rockin'" title/chorus alone. And I agree that the social/environmental/political message is in a DLR-fronted VH.

Should have left the "Big Trouble" lyrics alone - that was a killer track and I personally haven't wrapped my head around singing about rivers and flooding yet.

"Beats Workin'" ("Put Out The Lights") is great - again, I guess DLR again felt ALL the lyrics were dated, so... Actually, this complete re-write with the new chorus melody line is an improvement.

Part of my brain will always call these tracks by the original names. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who played the "That's All Folks!" 1977 demos CD to death, so you know where I'm coming from. Lastly, I'll just say it - the originals all had some great harmonies with MA that are missing, too.
    Last edited by smithtone; 02.11.12 at 05:34 AM. Reason: forgot word!!
    "We got the brand-new album, we got the brand-new songs, we got the brand-new equipment, we got the brand-new show... And we got the same ol' shitty attitude!" David Lee Roth, May 20, 1984 in San Diego

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

I like every ADKOT version better the exceptions being Big River and Beats Workin'.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

I'm fine with all the re-dos except Down In Flames into Tattoo. I think they could have done a pretty straight 2012 re-recording of DIF much like they did with House Of Pain for 1984 and it would have smoked. I think Eddie should have pilfered a different song or just come up with something original to get the basic structure for Tattoo.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Cabernet View Post
    Wow- thats the song i think has the best upgrade from the early version! It's grown on me the most and that and Bullethead are the two songs I walk around work singing out loud and getting in people's faces with... My staff thinks I've kind of lost it actually
    I'm OK with the lyrics, I just think the melody was better on "Let's Get Rockin'." But I do like the new version, I love the music of that song so it's one I play a lot.

I like Bullethead a lot too, we're one of the few that seem to really like that song. I think it's cool.

I also really like "Beats Workin'" and the entire take on that one. Not sure why some are so down on it, I never thought "Put Out The Lights" was that great the way it was at all, lyrically or musically. It's way cooler now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!