Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I finally sat down and read the article and overall, was a bit disappointed in it. Granted, they didn't have any new interview material, but for the Van Halen fan, it wasn't anything new. I thought they picked snippets of interveiws that were rather disparaging comments from Edward and Alex towards Dave and Sam and quite critical of their earlier work with Dave. I understand that an artist is pretty much always going to be critical of their own work, but I've read better interviews in this very same magazine (see the 15th anniversary issue). Which brings to mind that although I really enjoyed the pictures and the fold-out of Ed, I thought the band should have garnered the cover.

I would've enjoyed the album-by-album sidebar more if instead of writing about what was going on with the band and the personal lives of the members during that period, that it would've been more of a collector's edition if they talked more about the recording process of each of the albums and gotten member's recollections about each of the songs or a highlight of a few songs for each.

Finally, as I reached the end of the article, I had a dismal feeling wash over me with the realization that this very well may be the historical reference for this band. After starting out so strong, managing to keep it going through a change in lead singers, only to end up as a fizzling joke known more for the soap opera antics of its members rather than the musical genius and contribution of the band and Edward Van Halen in particular. Instead of putting an exclamation point on a fantastic career, they've left just a whimpy question mark. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Could this be magic?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

great post
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

Me too! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

...? [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Goddamn some people are never satisfied.
    Look, you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains Guitar World busted their ASS trying to put this issue together. I know this for a fact cuz I was in contact with the Editors there since MAY of last freakin year!
    I also made very clear in my posts when I anounced this issue was comin out that it was to cover the history of VH to celebrate their 25th anniversary and Eddie's induction into the Guitar World Hall of Fame.
    I clearly explained there would be no new news.

GW pulled this issue off with absolutely NO HELP from the VH camp whatsoever. No one was talking despite the Editors of GW contacting VH over and over.

Far as the "for the Van Halen fan was nothing new", well, there are BILLIONS of people on this planet and many have no idea what VH is about! This issue has opened the eyes of many, especially in the new generation of rockers & music fans.
    Along with the help of current heroes like Zakk & Dime. These are the 2 biggest guitar heroes goin today and they both stated, among other things, that "we would not be here if not for Van Halen".
    That statement is deep as shit and I know that blew many away cuz I have heard the responses they gotten over at GW. That is serious respect being given man.

This issue was great because it had been freakin ages since VH, especially old school VH, was covered in a mag. Heck, the GW story went back to their days of junior high for chrissake!
    This was doubly important considering it's 2003 and the band has been on hold for 5 years.
    I more than tip my cap to GW.

As GW's chief editor Brad Tolinski stated, when the boys(namely Eddie) are ready to talk they have a cover/feature waiting for them.
    So please relax and freakin' enjoy the issue cuz I can pretty much garuandamntee the saps at Rolling Stone & Spin arent firing up the presses over VH right now.

Oh and quite whining about how VH ended(supposedly ended anyways). Man oh man, enough.
    Look at the last 2 years Michael Jordan has played. They dont resemble anything he's done in the past but is that going to lower his legacy any?

This kind of thinking reminds me of something Bruce Lee's widow once said-
    "You know, so many people focus on how Bruce died, when they really should focus on how he lived."

Some of ya'll can learn from that.

[ February 04, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Badabing ]

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Badabing... I'm sure it wasn't the fine work the folks at GW did on the issue... the discouraging word is more a result of ever-growing disappointment within the VH fan ranks... There may never be enough said or done re: VH until the well gets refilled.

I would imagine if VH ever releases something local hospitals will be over-run with people OD'ing on BrownSound... there is no known cure...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

One foot out the door
    Last Online

09.02.05 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by z28girl:
    I finally sat down and read the article and overall, was a bit disappointed in it. Granted, they didn't have any new interview material, but for the Van Halen fan, it wasn't anything new. I thought they picked snippets of interveiws that were rather disparaging comments from Edward and Alex towards Dave and Sam and quite critical of their earlier work with Dave. I understand that an artist is pretty much always going to be critical of their own work, but I've read better interviews in this very same magazine (see the 15th anniversary issue). Which brings to mind that although I really enjoyed the pictures and the fold-out of Ed, I thought the band should have garnered the cover.

I would've enjoyed the album-by-album sidebar more if instead of writing about what was going on with the band and the personal lives of the members during that period, that it would've been more of a collector's edition if they talked more about the recording process of each of the albums and gotten member's recollections about each of the songs or a highlight of a few songs for each.

Finally, as I reached the end of the article, I had a dismal feeling wash over me with the realization that this very well may be the historical reference for this band. After starting out so strong, managing to keep it going through a change in lead singers, only to end up as a fizzling joke known more for the soap opera antics of its members rather than the musical genius and contribution of the band and Edward Van Halen in particular. Instead of putting an exclamation point on a fantastic career, they've left just a whimpy question mark. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Can I sleep with you? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "My son, ask for thee another kingdom...for that which I leave is too small for thee"- King Phillip of Macedonia to Alexander the Great-339 B.C.

4/1/85-We remember.....

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LOL!

Tell me about it dude.
    I guess we can just chalk this up as "Ya can't please everyone."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah. Not a whole bunch of unknown info, but there were some really awesome pics in there. The picture of Ed sitting on the wall of speakers in the awards section was worth the price of admmission. And the one where he's wearing the black shiny pants and playing the VH II guitar smoked!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Badabing, you sound like you have a personal stake in GW. Are you a stockholder?

Seriously, I love any article on Van Halen, but I guess I expected a more positive compilation of quotes from band members than what was included. I knew when I bought the mag that there wasn't going to be anything new, but I'm sure that with a little more digging perhaps, the writers could've gone a bit more in depth, especially with the making of the albums. The creative and recording process, not technically speaking, always facinates and to get a little inside info, such as Van Halen's response to the punk movement with Atomic Punk and Loss of Control is something I really enjoy and would've like to have seen with more of the songs. And also, for a more well-rounded article on the band, it might have been nice to have contacted Dave, Sammy, and Gary since they are members the same as Ed and Al and Mike.

I am very happy that Edward has been inducted into the GW Guitar Hall of Fame. It's an honor that he very well deserves and as far as the "well" of Van Halen, yes I am frustrated, not because of the "what have you done for me lately," but because my favorite band and person (Ed) that I have tremendous respect and admiration for should have more than the ending of that article for a synopsis on his career. I know that if it doesn't bother him, it shouldn't bother me, but it's the same reaction that I had watching the MTV Aerosmith Icon show where they portrayed Van Halen as "those who tried to take away the throne and where are they now," flash in the pan 80s bands. This is especially disappointing when you consider the active role each of the members have in creating that image.

Still, 102.5 in Tampa has been playing classic VH constantly lately, and I'm loving it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Ain't Talking Bout Love is on right now and I'm sorry, but Dave sounds great and he played a major role in the image and greatness that those boys from Pasadena unleashed on America.
    Could this be magic?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

One foot out the door
    Last Online

09.02.05 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by z28girl:
    Badabing, you sound like you have a personal stake in GW. Are you a stockholder?

Seriously, I love any article on Van Halen, but I guess I expected a more positive compilation of quotes from band members than what was included. I knew when I bought the mag that there wasn't going to be anything new, but I'm sure that with a little more digging perhaps, the writers could've gone a bit more in depth, especially with the making of the albums. The creative and recording process, not technically speaking, always facinates and to get a little inside info, such as Van Halen's response to the punk movement with Atomic Punk and Loss of Control is something I really enjoy and would've like to have seen with more of the songs. And also, for a more well-rounded article on the band, it might have been nice to have contacted Dave, Sammy, and Gary since they are members the same as Ed and Al and Mike.

I am very happy that Edward has been inducted into the GW Guitar Hall of Fame. It's an honor that he very well deserves and as far as the "well" of Van Halen, yes I am frustrated, not because of the "what have you done for me lately," but because my favorite band and person (Ed) that I have tremendous respect and admiration for should have more than the ending of that article for a synopsis on his career. I know that if it doesn't bother him, it shouldn't bother me, but it's the same reaction that I had watching the MTV Aerosmith Icon show where they portrayed Van Halen as "those who tried to take away the throne and where are they now," flash in the pan 80s bands. This is especially disappointing when you consider the active role each of the members have in creating that image.

Still, 102.5 in Tampa has been playing classic VH constantly lately, and I'm loving it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Ain't Talking Bout Love is on right now and I'm sorry, but Dave sounds great and he played a major role in the image and greatness that those boys from Pasadena unleashed on America.
    Smart, well spoken, Van Halen fan, likes American muscle cars....your points are adding up even if you hate me

[ February 04, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: alex6261 ]
    "My son, ask for thee another kingdom...for that which I leave is too small for thee"- King Phillip of Macedonia to Alexander the Great-339 B.C.

4/1/85-We remember.....

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Originally posted by Badabing:
    Goddamn some people are never satisfied.
    Look, you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains Guitar World busted their ASS trying to put this issue together. I know this for a fact cuz I was in contact with the Editors there since MAY of last freakin year!
    I also made very clear in my posts when I anounced this issue was comin out that it was to cover the history of VH to celebrate their 25th anniversary and Eddie's induction into the Guitar World Hall of Fame.
    I clearly explained there would be no new news.

GW pulled this issue off with absolutely NO HELP from the VH camp whatsoever. No one was talking despite the Editors of GW contacting VH over and over.

Far as the "for the Van Halen fan was nothing new", well, there are BILLIONS of people on this planet and many have no idea what VH is about! This issue has opened the eyes of many, especially in the new generation of rockers & music fans.
    Along with the help of current heroes like Zakk & Dime. These are the 2 biggest guitar heroes goin today and they both stated, among other things, that "we would not be here if not for Van Halen".
    That statement is deep as shit and I know that blew many away cuz I have heard the responses they gotten over at GW. That is serious respect being given man.

This issue was great because it had been freakin ages since VH, especially old school VH, was covered in a mag. Heck, the GW story went back to their days of junior high for chrissake!
    This was doubly important considering it's 2003 and the band has been on hold for 5 years.
    I more than tip my cap to GW.

As GW's chief editor Brad Tolinski stated, when the boys(namely Eddie) are ready to talk they have a cover/feature waiting for them.
    So please relax and freakin' enjoy the issue cuz I can pretty much garuandamntee the saps at Rolling Stone & Spin arent firing up the presses over VH right now.

Oh and quite whining about how VH ended(supposedly ended anyways). Man oh man, enough.
    Look at the last 2 years Michael Jordan has played. They dont resemble anything he's done in the past but is that going to lower his legacy any?

This kind of thinking reminds me of something Bruce Lee's widow once said-
    "You know, so many people focus on how Bruce died, when they really should focus on how he lived."

Some of ya'll can learn from that.
    I AGREE.....COMPLETELY [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

these days i'm never looking for "new" news about Van Halen. don't expect it either.

as for the article i thought it was OK but wanted it to be longer. the 1st Club Days issue of The Inside covered their pre-WB period better for my money.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was great,no problem at all