Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default Electric Cars - Fuel Cell vs. Batteries

This is a topic that none of my friends are remotely interested in, so hopefully some people on here will be or at least have an opinion other than the "huh" I get from my friends.

First off, I love the sound of a powerful engine, from race cars to rat rods and everything in between, I love the throaty roar that they make; whether naturally aspirated or super charged, nothing sounds as cool as a revving engine (unless its a motorcycle which annoy me to no end).

With that said, the electric car will eventually gain more traction whether we like it or not. The issue I have with them is the way they are going about making and promoting them. There aren't too many mass produced purely electric cars on the market to my knowledge. I am leaving out the hybrids from this as they don't count, they still have an engine. The only 3 I really know about are the Nissan Leaf, the Tesla Roadster and the Honda Clarity. The Nissan and Tesla use battery power and the Honda Clarity uses a hydrogen fuel cell.

The battery cars seem to get all the attention in the media for some reason, but I believe that the fuel cell is the way that companies should be going. The primary reason is the range and "recharge time" With a battery powered car you are limited to the amount of power that the batteries can produce before being fully discharged and then have to plug it in somewhere and wait for from what I have read at least a couple of hours. Fuel cells can be refilled very similar to gasoline cars as long as the station has it which in theory will go on endlessly never having to be plugged in.

Just wondering if anyone on the board is interested in this sort of thing and has input on this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Back in 1995-96, my brother (while working on his PHD in engineering at Univ. of Mich.) was engaged in fuel-cell research with GM. At the time, he was telling everyone that by the year 2015, we will all be driving cars using fuel-cell technology. We all laughed. Gasoline was just over $1/gallon at that time.
    Here in 2012, I think the technology is there. The question, though, is the financial feasability.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy King View Post
    Back in 1995-96, my brother (while working on his PHD in engineering at Univ. of Mich.) was engaged in fuel-cell research with GM. At the time, he was telling everyone that by the year 2015, we will all be driving cars using fuel-cell technology. We all laughed. Gasoline was just over $1/gallon at that time.
    Here in 2012, I think the technology is there. The question, though, is the financial feasability.
    It's a reality my friend. the Honda Clarity has been around for a couple of years now and by all accounts, its as good as a regular, gas/diesel powered car. The problem is the filling stations. Hydrogen is tricky stuff to store and VERY explosive, there are more and more popping up all the time and by 2015 I think they'll be commonplace...your firnd was pretty much bang on.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

As for electric cars...meh! They are limited by their range and lack of elegance, practicality and god awful handling. Then you have to add in the massive environmental impact of mining the nickel for the batteries and then shipping it to several countries before its ready to be fitted to the car, plus those batteries only last on average of 5 years and cost several thousand Pounds/Dollars to replace. Also, where does the power come from to charge them up?...Yes, a wall socket and whats on the other end of one of those?...A massive power station that burns fossil fuel or runs on Uranium. yes you can also charge an electric car using a wind turbine but that takes (according to the manufacturers of the Tesla) 5 days!! after which you'll only be able to drive between 50 and 200 miles.....Seems to me that electric cars are obsolete before they even started!
    Hydrogen is the way forward.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!