Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 07:58 AM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    You know, dude. We all get the point. You're not as excited as others and you're not expecting much. Whatever. That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. However, quit trying to give everyone the golden shower.

Move. The. Fuck. On.
    Yeah, rocknblues81: you are absolutely entitled to your opinion; however, a David Lee Roth quote comes mind: "you can keep providing the rain, and [Van Halen] will keep on providing the parade."

If you don't like =VH='s new album, or feel like it's middle of the road, that's your right, 100% -- but I'm not really sure what you're looking for in giving the album hypothetical critiques -- some kind of validation..?

What's your motivation?

Favorite VH Album

The first four '78 - '81
    Last Online

05.28.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.bravewords.com/news/177173

It's officially released on iTunes Australia in less than 5 hours, at 8am eastern time, which is midnight, Friday morning in Australia.
    This literally must be a first, I've never ever seen an album not get leaked online prior to the release date in the last dozen years or so.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This got out this fast?! Fuck!! I have to admit, this CD kicks ass!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets Aftershock
    Last Online

02.05.12 @ 10:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My review on 2 listens. I will only list the songs I definitefly have an opinion on. If I don't mention it it's because I haven't hear enough of it.

Tattoo- the weakest song. (7/10). may just skip this in the future.

She's the Woman - Ed's riff is awesome and Dave's lyrics are awesome. Dave brings an altitude and swagger to this. Ed's solo is a precursor of what is to come! (9/10)

You and Your Blues - love everything about this song. The altitude, the lyrics, the modern feel to it but still Van Halen. Love the Chorus. I like Eds crunchy guitar and Dave's singing. This is pure VH. (9.5/10)

China Town- fast, blistering. fast solo. Did I mention its fast. (9/10)
    Blood and Fire - love the part where Dave says "say it like you mean it" and then Ed's guitar growls into one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. As good as Meanstreets and personal favourite "Aftershock". It matches the songs groove and fits the song brilliantly. The song has an upbeat , positive Van Halen altitude. (9.5).

Bullet Head- early punky VH sound. Don't like it but don't dislike it. Sort of bridge between the first half and second half of the album. (7.5/10)

Outta Space- classic VH big riff and Dave vocals. Love the "Outta space, Outta space lyrics. Very modern sounding and then the big riff comes from Ed. (9-9.5/10)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.27.19 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 2,207 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    Yeah, rocknblues81: you are absolutely entitled to your opinion; however, a David Lee Roth quote comes mind: "you can keep providing the rain, and [Van Halen] will keep on providing the parade."

If you don't like =VH='s new album, or feel like it's middle of the road, that's your right, 100% -- but I'm not really sure what you're looking for in giving the album hypothetical critiques -- some kind of validation..?

What's your motivation?
    Just saying that review was over the top. I can maybe understand this being better than Diver Down, but it has no shot at being as good as any of the other albums the original band made. I will probably get more enjoyment out of it than I got from Diver Down and all of the Hagar albums.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

12.23.18 @ 05:44 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    First impressions of the whole thing. Don’t read if you don’t want spoilers.

“Tattoo” you know.

“She’s the Woman”: We’ve all heard the original demo and the Café Wha? performance. But the polished version on ADKOT is ridiculous. Dave’s yelps and scream over the solo made the song for me. Eddie does this thing near the end where he replicates the chorus with the squeal of his guitar that is awesome.

“You and Your Blues”: From the outset, Eddie sounds like he woke up with 5150 in his head and started working on Balance – that’s the best way I can explain it. It’s very sing-songy with great harmonies – not Dave double-tracking himself the whole time, but he does do it a lot. It’s freaking catchy as hell too. Solo: short but sweet.

“China Town”: I’m surprised Alex didn’t injure himself on this. Seriously. Eddie’s playing is ferocious. Solo: some of the fastest fretwork he’s ever done.

“Blood and Fire” you know.

“Bullethead”: This just chugs along – using the highway as a metaphor is perfect for the metaphor. An expectedly short solo for the shortest song on the record, and Eddie has some weird effect on it. And that “Wooo” that people were saying was from “Runnin’ with the Devil” is used all throughout the song. I don’t think that’s its origin though.

“As Is”: Holy heaviness at the beginning, but quickly turns into a speedy…shit, it’s almost like a pop-punk song. Reminds me of “Hang ‘Em High” quite a bit at parts. Solo is, um…sick, quick, then it drops back into that heavy groove and Dave goes, “A little more volume in here I think please?” Shortly after Eddie drops into a “Don’t Piss Me Off” meets “Full Bug” meets solo from “Could this Be Magic?” bit. Loving the line “Every day down here’s a rainy day – and we don’t save up.”

“Honeybabysweetiedoll”: Beginning is all weird knob twiddling and just blasts into a heavy as hell riff. Eddie is so thick, chunky and drop-D here – it could be a Pantera riff. From the title of this I thought it was going to be cheesy as hell, but instead Dave’s breakdown rap is reminiscent of “Loss of Control.” The solo on this I can barely describe without getting goosebumps. Hands down one of the best and longest on the record. Eddie keeps dropping this short riff, then solos over it, then riff again, the solos over it. It’s unlike anything he’s ever done. That innovative guitar work people have been looking for? It’s right here. No wheel reinvention – but definitely some self-reinvention going on. Also, I think that’s Dave’s dog that barks over the mix as it winds down.

“Trouble With Never” you know.

“Outta Space” you know as “Let’s Get Rockin’” Musically it’s pretty much the same. Solo echos the old one, but has a 21st century sheen on it. Ed gets flashy, almost as if to show he’s not the same kid who did that original one.

“Stay Frosty” you know the beginning part. It’s definitely “Ice Cream Man” revisited but like almost everything else on here, the bottom end is just so damn heavy. I know I haven’t mentioned Wolf, but he shines on here quite a bit. Dave does more spoken word than verses, but it works for the song. Ed’s solo is really, really bluesy.

“Big River” you know as “Big Trouble” – a song I was hesitant to give up because I love the demo so much, especially that solo and Dave talking about being “Out the window.” At first, it sounds like Eddie is content to just beef up the original solo. Then he goes all apeshit on it. Another long CLASSIC sounding solo.

“Beats Workin’” you know as “Put Out the Lights” – Sounds like “Love Hungry Man” meets “Eruption“ at the beginning before going into that familiar riff. It’s a lot thicker now. This kind of lost me until about the 3:00 minute point, where Al Ed and Wolf break it down and then Ed drops a great solo that seems to rekindle the song. He’s then in madman mode for the remainder of the track.

There’s no final say or wrap up here, because like I said, this is a first impression. But it’s a damn good one.
    Dude, I've heard it all the way thru too (Got some good friends...don't ask) and I have to say...you're right on point.. Great review. My only additions:

China Town Just a fucking beast of a song. The full solo is just beyond description, the only thing to compare it to is the solo in "Sinner's Swing!" and add a "Flight of the Bumblebee" style thing at the end with Ed and Wolf both playing 16th notes simultaneously....if you can imagine that. BIG slam bam twiddly twiddly boom car wreck ending too.

As Is Is just ridiculous all the way through. Everything M.C. said and everything I love about VH is in this song except for one minor thing: No big finale ending...it fades out. But then again, the song is so damn good I may have passed out if it had a big crescendo blast ending like China Town. It's almost like they had to ease you out of the song. Great, great great.

Honeybabysweetiedoll the solo has some east-india sick vibe to it. Love it. I'm not crazy about Ed's fondness for the Sustainer, but he uses it well in this song. Like MC says, sounds like DLR's dog, Russell, gets a cameo in the song towards the end too. Just sick and fucking awesome.

Stay Frosty the 90 second sample left you wondering about the solo...well it's sideways upsidedown ZZ Top Style sickness and the rest of the song does not disappoint either. Extra awesome mad-stoopidblues jam and big crash-bam-twiddly-boom ending here too. Too fucking good to be true and they better fucking play it in concert. I will be pissed if they dont.

Other notes:

I got both full versions of TTWN and BAF last week and I've been listening to them all week in my car, but it was obvious the sound was degenerated on the files I had. These files are much better and clearer. Not totally loss-less, but it still makes a huge difference. I can't wait to give the whole thing a road test today with the volume cranked up. Love Wolf's playing in TTWN. The better sound quality really highlights it.

The post 90 second clip part of Beats Workin' is sweet, with Wolf getting some spotlight after Ed's solo. It does have "Day Tripper" kinda vibe to it too.
    Cool breakdown and a slow feedback tremolo dive ending.

This motherfucker is ridiculous.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.15.18 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My old mate Jeff Hausman said it way better than me. I've jotted down some quick notes while listening to the complete album all the way through (don't ask) and put them up here:

http://ggfisher.wordpress.com/2012/0...kind-of-truth/

This album is so damn good I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I get teary listening to it. All those years of waiting have paid off, Van Halen fans. Enjoy the best damn rock album to come out in a loooong long time..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx, Grant -

and man, what a bummer about that brick wall. I get so fuckin' TIRED of it - just QUIT overdriving and hacking off all the clips, leave some damn headroom, and let me boost my own volume on something that sounds CLEAN for once, willya? It sounds so shitty - why why WHY does every modern producer insist on doing that?

Oh well. At least the tunes kick ass.
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

05.27.19 @ 01:50 AM
    Liked 2,010 Times in 935 Posts

Thanks for the reviews guys.... I cant wait till tomorrow....

This time tomorrow night, I expect to have severe hearing problems along with my unsuspecting neighbors....
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.15.18 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug View Post
    Thanx, Grant -

and man, what a bummer about that brick wall. I get so fuckin' TIRED of it - just QUIT overdriving and hacking off all the clips, leave some damn headroom, and let me boost my own volume on something that sounds CLEAN for once, willya? It sounds so shitty - why why WHY does every modern producer insist on doing that?

Oh well. At least the tunes kick ass.
    I'm no expert but I believe you can't brickwall vinyl so I'm looking forward to hearing the vinyl mastering.

Favorite VH Album

The first four '78 - '81
    Last Online

05.28.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHND View Post
    I'm no expert but I believe you can't brickwall vinyl so I'm looking forward to hearing the vinyl mastering.
    Not true unfortunately. Metallica's Death Magnetic sounded just as awful on vinyl as it did on CD. DM was so brickwalled, that it was literally distorted, but ADKOT is nowhere near that bad, so lets at least be grateful for that.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.29.13 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got goosebumps just reading these reviews. I was going to wait until the release date next week, but considering I have access to the Australian iTunes store looks like I will also buy it there. Only a few more hours to go!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 321 Times in 169 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Nothing else needs to be said, thanks Jeff.
    Alright, then...let's close the Links!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

01.19.19 @ 01:48 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AGE399 View Post
    I've got a willy!
    congrats!

should it ever become big and hard, that's called a boner. keep us posted.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets Aftershock
    Last Online

02.05.12 @ 10:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta say there is no filler on this album. Normally, CDs have a few great songs at the beginning and fall away at the end.
    Not here. Every song till the very end is 'A' material.
    With that in mind its hard to separate the good from the bad, cause to my ears they're all great.

As Is - Awesome tapping sequence. Love the outro.
    HoneyBabySweetieDoll - Van Halen meets Satriani? Heavier than the title suggest.
    The Trouble with Never - you've heard the song.
    Stay Frosty- Ice Cream Man meets ZZ Top.
    Big River - freaking awesome. Ed and the band work this in and out. Solo, riff, solo, new sounds, riff then solo. Whew. Getting ears overloaded with goodness.
    Beats Workin' - What's this? Van Halen does an AC/DC type riff! The CD ends on a higher high than it started.

Woah, I survived that musical carpet bombing!
    Nice to hear bass on this CD...

Take a deep breath and click play again.