Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World Johnny Van Halen Cash's Avatar
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Who makes the decision...

... as to what song will be the first single a band's new record? (ie. who made the decision to make Tattoo the first song?). Is it the band, the label, a combination? After only hearing 30-second clips of most of the songs, I find it very surprising that Tattoo was chosen. To me, they stand to grab more attention by putting out one of the rockers. I can see if they only had one or two really strong songs on the record, but for crying out loud, they have a disc full of them. And in the end, it may just be that Tattoo is one of the weaker (if not weakest) songs on the album.

Just curious who made that decision, and I just speculate why.
    If it sounds like bull shit, feels like bull shit, and appears to be bull shit, it's probably Eddie talking about his new lead singer being his new brother at a press conference...

Last Online

11.16.12 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not positive but I would guess it's different for each situation. It probably depends on said contract. With a band as big as VH, I would assume they'd at least have some sort of say...

Why did they do it? Because it's radio friendly and could get spins on female rock stations (the ones that play Maroon 5 and an occasional rocker) in addition to the more male oriented stations that would play them anyway. I'm not sure if it worked but that's my guess.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Interscope makes the ultimate decision. In the case of a band as potentially big as =VH=, perhaps Jimmy Iovine himself. =VH= probably had some input, but likely, an Interscope PR guy had to give the =VH= band members a realistic appraisal of the band's PR situation, which a few months ago, wasn't great... In fact, it was much more complicated than now.

The decision to pick a lead-off single is (sometimes) more carefully weighed than one might think... In certain situations, you don't always want to 'show your strong suit' first. This situation with =VH=, in my opinion, is one of those.

Think back a few months... =VH= had a big PR problem coming into this release. There was a lot of animosity built-up toward the band given the firing of Michael, Van Halen III, the 2004 tour, etc. The 2007-08 tour, while successful, made them look like a nostalgia band.

Interscope's job was to diffuse that PR bomb, and thus give its client the best chance it can to succeed going forward.

The first single off of this album -- even if =VH= released "As Is," would've taken its fair share of hard knocks.

Personally, I'd wager that the discussion for 1st single came down to "Tattoo" or "You and Your Blues." Each song would've presented a different face -- one 'fun,' one more 'serious' and 'adult.'
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 02.01.12 at 11:39 AM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    Interscope makes the ultimate decision. In the case of a band as potentially big as =VH=, perhaps Jimmy Iovine himself. =VH= probably had some input, but likely, an Interscope PR guy had to give the =VH= band members a realistic appraisal of the band's PR situation, which a few months ago, wasn't great... In fact, it was much more complicated than now.

The decision to pick a lead-off single is (sometimes) more carefully weighed than one might think... In certain situations, you don't always want to 'show your strong suit' first. This situation with =VH=, in my opinion, is one of those.

Think back a few months... =VH= had a big PR problem coming into this release. There was a lot of animosity built-up toward the band given the firing of Michael, Van Halen III, the 2004 tour, etc. The 2007-08 tour, while successful, made them look like a nostalgia band.

Interscope's job was to diffuse that PR bomb, and thus give its client the best chance it can to succeed going forward.

The first single off of this album -- even if =VH= released "As Is," would've taken its fair share of hard knocks.

Personally, I'd wager that the discussion for 1st single came down to "Tattoo" or "You and Your Blues." Each song would've presented a different face -- one 'fun,' one more 'serious' and 'adult.'
    Pretty much spot-on. The album sequence is typically a joint effort between the artist, the producer and the label with the label ultimately having the final decision.

From my experience (had a record deal back in the 90s), the label suggested a sequence and then we, the producer and the A&R Rep discussed any changes or problems we had with their suggestion. In our case, the sequence they suggested mirrored what we had in mind. Jewel case closed.

As far as the first single goes, that was all on the label. At that point, you've delivered your goods and it's theirs to market. Heavyweight acts most likely have a little more pull than a band like mine had. YMMV.

I've been thinking hard on why Interscope chose Tattoo as the lead off. I'm guessing it had to do with getting a song out there with the most mass appeal so that VH would be on the radar of more than just hardcore fans when the album drops. It's a safe, poppy song.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

One thing I really have to wonder is why in the hell did Warner pass on this after they heard it? Haven't heard the entire record yet but this thing kicks ass on so many levels. Perhaps it was better for the band anyway that they went with Interscope. The Warner PR effort very likely wouldn't have been as good as it has been with Interscope.

Last Online

11.16.12 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warner passed on it? Really??

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

what you consider "weak" is the most marketable song on the CD to the general public...
    same reason Jump was released first for 1984
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 2,656 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    what you consider "weak" is the most marketable song on the CD to the general public...
    same reason Jump was released first for 1984

This is exactly right.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

With regard to Warner Bothers, hasn't that label been in a tailspin for some time now? New CEO, financial woes, etc..? I wouldn't doubt if they simply weren't able to offer VH the kind of money and support the band thought they could get elsewhere. Besides that, I think VH is better going with a more stable and financially sound label anyway, despite all the past history with WB.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    One thing I really have to wonder is why in the hell did Warner pass on this after they heard it? Haven't heard the entire record yet but this thing kicks ass on so many levels. Perhaps it was better for the band anyway that they went with Interscope. The Warner PR effort very likely wouldn't have been as good as it has been with Interscope.
    I doubt WB was even a consideration. They still have the distribution to the back catalog so they'll get a little revenue from this new venture.

From what's been disclosed CBS/Sony were in talks with VH. Dave wanted a West Coast and more progressive label... so Interscope/UMG brought it to the table.

Damn happy they went this way... I seriously doubt CBS/Sony would have marketed this album the way we're getting it now...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yiggity View Post
    Warner passed on it? Really??
    Warner Bros. has, like someone else said, been in a tailspin for a while. They haven't been able to adapt to the current market place. My cousin, who was co-owner of the top legal printing service in L.A. and who still knows people in the entertainment industry, has been telling me of Warner's tailspin since the dawn of the Aughties. While CD sales were growing (back half of the 90's-early Aughties), Warner Bros. got so top heavy - worse than other lables was what I was told - that once the once the "internet age" came about, they were in worse trouble than anyone else.

---

Picking singles...a band can suggest, but it's the A&R (artist & repetoire) people who usually do the picking. They may base that pick on what a focus group picks.

Producers often have roles in picking the singles, too. Sometimes, they are already looking at a potential single while the band is in pre-production or before they even hit the studio: if they do that, they tend to craft the song to be radio-friendly. To me, "Tattoo" sounds like Shanks might have picked it from the start. Just a gut feeling.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    I doubt WB was even a consideration. They still have the distribution to the back catalog so they'll get a little revenue from this new venture.

From what's been disclosed CBS/Sony were in talks with VH. Dave wanted a West Coast and more progressive label... so Interscope/UMG brought it to the table.

Damn happy they went this way... I seriously doubt CBS/Sony would have marketed this album the way we're getting it now...
    Hey, Zah...I was told that Azoff Mgmt Group is doing all promotion and marketing themselves independent of Interscope. Supposedly, the label saw a VH album project as high-risk/medium reward but Azoff saw otherwise and agreed to provide promo for the album.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Van Halen Cash View Post
    ... as to what song will be the first single a band's new record? (ie. who made the decision to make Tattoo the first song?). Is it the band, the label, a combination? After only hearing 30-second clips of most of the songs, I find it very surprising that Tattoo was chosen. To me, they stand to grab more attention by putting out one of the rockers. I can see if they only had one or two really strong songs on the record, but for crying out loud, they have a disc full of them. And in the end, it may just be that Tattoo is one of the weaker (if not weakest) songs on the album.

Just curious who made that decision, and I just speculate why.

Whoever it is, they should consider a different career

Tattoo is by far the weakest track, it does not represent how good the album is.

Hell, I might have even used Tattoo as a bonus track or something

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

11.13.14 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    Whoever it is, they should consider a different career

Tattoo is by far the weakest track, it does not represent how good the album is.

Hell, I might have even used Tattoo as a bonus track or something
    LOL! I agree man! They should consider a different career : )

And yeah, I too think Tattoo doesn't even belong on this MASTERPIECE! I don't mean to say it's GOD AWFUL or anything like that, it's... okay, but not indicative of what's in store for the senses after it's over and the REAL album begins!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:32 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

Iffy lyrics aside, why do people dislike Tattoo? I think an album should have one of these types of songs on it. It's toned down and fun.