All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default RIP Don Cornelius

'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius found dead

Posted: Feb 01, 2012 8:26 AM CST
    Updated: Feb 01, 2012 10:49 AM CST

LOS ANGELES (RNN) -  Don Cornelius, the creator and host of the television show Soul Train, was found dead in his Sherman Oaks, CA, home this morning.

A spokesman from the Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Cornelius, 75, likely died from a gunshot wound to the head. He said examiners had not looked at the body to confirm the cause of death or whether it had been self-inflicted, as reported by multiple news outlets.

The police discovered Cornelius around 4 a.m. PT at his Mulholland Drive residence. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:56 a.m., according to the coroner's office.

Soul Train was instrumental in bringing musical acts in R&B, soul and other genres to a larger audience, including Aretha Franklin. The show ran in syndication from 1971 to 2006.

Cornelius was the host from the show's inception until 1993.

Born Sept. 27, 1936, in Chicago, Cornelius worked as an insurance salesman before heading to broadcasting school in 1966. He also worked as a DJ and was a sports anchor for A Black's View of the News on WCIU in 1968.

Inspired by American Bandstand, Cornelius used $400 of his own money to create the pilot for Soul Train.

He ended each episode with the phrase "and you can bet your last money, it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I'm Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!"

Cornelius told a judge during his 2009 divorce proceedings that he wanted to "finalize this divorce before I die." He was reportedly suffering from significant health issues.

In a 2010 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Cornelius said he was in discussions with several people about developing a movie based on the show.

Fans of Cornelius and Soul Train expressed their feelings about the news via Facebook.

"[I] always loved that show," Tim Molthan wrote on the KCTV5 News page. "He was planning a movie about the show a couple of years ago to tell the story of real events that happened on the show. Now those stories are lost forever. RIP Don." 

On the WSFA-TV Facebook wall, NcCole Means wrote that she "grew up on this show."

"You knew when you [had] Saturday house chores, because you would hear the sound of the train blasting thru your set," Means said. "He will be truly missed. Love Peace and Soullllllll."

Copyright 2012 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Loved Soul Train! RIP Don!

HH<----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 02.01.12 at 09:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

This is really sad news. And to come out on the first day of black history month makes it even sadder.

I remember watching this on Saturdays as a kid and just being mesmerized by what I was seeing. The music, the dancing, the clothes, the fact that it was just a bunch of black kids only, it was mind-blowing on all kinds of levels. As a kid from a small town it was an eye opener and probably helped shape my life in a lot if different ways

it still comes on reruns I think twice a day where I live and ill watch a little(but that 89-91sh time period is pretty funny). Nothing beats that 1970s run. I have a DVD if James brown soul train and I made one from YouTube clips one time when I couldn't find the show on tv. My 6 yr old daughter loves trying to do modern dance moves and I'm always trying to get her to watch this when it's on.

So much great music. It was a great bridge for cultures. Amazing.

Sad that his life got to the point where he thought it would just be better to kill himself
    Last edited by hain23x; 02.01.12 at 09:27 AM.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

definitely very sad. Rest In Peace, Don

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

He was supposedly in poor health for the last several years maybe he just could not take it any more. I was a watcher of the show back in the day love R&B. Love,Peace and Soul. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

RIP as you take a never ending ride on the soul train...
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Christmas before last my sister got me a DVD set of a bunch of Soul Train shows! Best present ever! I loved it back then and love it still. What a great show he put on. RIP Don. You were truly a pioneer and will be missed.