Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default MXR EVH phaser (weird noise)

not really sure what is going on as the phaser has been working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. When I turn it on it works but when I am not hitting any notes it makes this obnoxious "WHOOOSHING" noise that wont stop.

this has never happened before and the rate is set all the way to the low position just like Eds.... any ideas?

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

Check the input jack for dust. Blow on it, clean it out. Try a different cable.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Swap the battery and see if that helps. I've had similar things happen with pedals that are getting low on juice.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Funny. Mine just started acting up too. Mines quite old, but it's started making a 'thumping" noise on the low end of the sweep. I've tried cleaning mine out, but it's still doing it. I hope cleaning yours out works. Like the guys said, try swapping the battery, and if by chance it's an alkaline, then try one of the old standard "Heavy Duty" Eveready types. I've heard this could be the problem also with mine....it didn't work for me but there's a good chance it could be the problem in yours.
    Good luck Rob.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.31.12 at 08:01 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 12:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Funny. Mine just started acting up too. Mines quite old, but it's started making a 'thumping" noise on the low end of the sweep. I've tried cleaning mine out, but it's still doing it. I hope cleaning yours out works. Like the guys said, try swapping the battery, and if by chance it's an alkaline, then try one of the old standard "Heavy Duty" Eveready types. I've heard this could be the problem also with mine....it didn't work for me but there's a good chance it could be the problem in yours.
    Good luck Rob.
    I'm getting the 'thump' as well and mine is only couple months old. I might go for a power adapter and see if that helps.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Swap the battery and see if that helps. I've had similar things happen with pedals that are getting low on juice.
    Actually there is no battery in it. I run a power cord with it so took the batt out as soon as I bought it years ago.

thanks so much for the help gentlemen,

Rob
    Last edited by 5150rob; 02.01.12 at 04:07 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

well it looks like the phaser is pretty much toast. I tried different amps, cables, blew out the guys inside and even ran it straight to the amp from the guitar and through a loop.

It just makes this terrible "swooshing" sound so something is definitely wrong. I have had this thing for the last 3 years and used it maybe for an hour total. Not sure why this happened but I will be contacting dunlop today to see if they keep it under warranty.

thanks for the help guys.

Rob

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    well it looks like the phaser is pretty much toast. I tried different amps, cables, blew out the guys inside and even ran it straight to the amp from the guitar and through a loop.

It just makes this terrible "swooshing" sound so something is definitely wrong. I have had this thing for the last 3 years and used it maybe for an hour total. Not sure why this happened but I will be contacting dunlop today to see if they keep it under warranty.

Rob
    open it up and look for any obvious loose wires, sounds like a grounding problem..
    you may want to aalso try a battery and elimnate the power source as the problem.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

well I tried running a new battery through it and cut out the power cable and the same thing happens. Loud swooshing sound. I opened it up and no obvious signs of loose wires however you really cant look under the green mother board looking panel so there is really no way of telling whats under there and I really dont feel comfortable ripping that big green panel off.

I called dunlop and spoke to a tech and he said just ship it into them and they would fix it. Of course it will cost me 50 bucks because the warranty is only good for one year and its been a few years.

oh well I guess I can spare 50 bucks to get this thing working right. Not sure what else to do. Nothing obvious appears to be wrong with it.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,342 Times in 3,187 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I actually had to ship mine back around Xmas and they gave it a good once over and told me nothing was wrong with it. Just to try it in a different place in my loop. Try that because mine wasn't making a sound but it wasn't working either. Dunlop is a pleasure to deal with. Their products are kick ass too.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post

Rob
    Hmmm...Interesting. You mention using it very seldom in the past 3 yrs.....I'm wondering if it is one of the capacitors that has failed. Like many electrlytic caps, if they completely discharge, then occasionally they won't take a fresh charge at full-wack voltage. Something you could try (not saying it'll work), but to revive a dead cap, the standard practice is to use a VARIAC to slowly bring up voltage over a set period. Now you ain't gonna use a variac here, but I read once in a guitar mag over a similar issue, that you may wan't to try installing a nearly dead battery, plug in the patch cable to the pedal and click it on and leave it for a few hours or more. This will be a more acceptable voltage for the cap to absorb. Caps are funny things.
    I mention this because I had a lot of noise when I first plugged in an old Marshall that sat in storage for a couple of years. The filter caps had discharged, and when I turned it on off standby, the hiss was unreal. I took it in to my shop, and they managed to keep the caps by doing the procedure, so just a thought. I believe they do have a filter cap of sorts which are employed to supresses the swhooshing you are getting.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.01.12 at 01:38 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

sounds good and maybe before I ship it out I will give that a try.

thanks so much for the help guys,

Rob