Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is Anyone Surprised?

...that Eddie would include such demanding music on the new album?

It seems to me that the guitar and drums are pretty demanding. I know that at 60 years old I can no longer play things that I could at 25 due to arthritis and loss of dexterity due to general aging.

I am impressed that both Al and Ed can still play such technically and physically demanding music!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelong View Post

It seems to me that the guitar and drums are pretty demanding. I know that at 60 years old I can no longer play things that I could at 25 due to arthritis and loss of dexterity due to general aging.

I am impressed that both Al and Ed can still play such technically and physically demanding music!
    Pleasantly surprised and I think it was out of fear actually, which can be an amazing motivator.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 2,642 Times in 1,324 Posts

I'm very curious to hear how many of these will be played live both because of the challenge and the patience of the majority of the crowd who will only want to hear the old songs no matter how good the new ones are. It's far easier to get good performances on an album where you can have an unlimited number of retakes until you get it right. Not even counting any artificial studio help you can record a guitar lick or vocal line 20 times and have 19 of them be unusable flubs and still be fine, you can't acceptably blow it 19 out of 20 times live.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 18,079 Times in 8,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I'm very curious to hear how many of these will be played live both because of the challenge and the patience of the majority of the crowd who will only want to hear the old songs no matter how good the new ones are. It's far easier to get good performances on an album where you can have an unlimited number of retakes until you get it right. Not even counting any artificial studio help you can record a guitar lick or vocal line 20 times and have 19 of them be unusable flubs and still be fine, you can't acceptably blow it 19 out of 20 times live.
    You obviously didn't attend the 2004 Tour!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    As soon as I wrote that I realized someone would do something funny with it, haha! They may have blown it 19 out of 20 times but it sure wasn't acceptable. (Or shouldn't have been)

Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    You're referring to guitar, not drums, right?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 18,079 Times in 8,933 Posts

Yeah, Ed was a wreck the night I saw them. But I don't want to sideline the thread, this has already been discussed a million times elshewhere on here, I was just being a smart ass, I shouldn't have posted that, we have too much good stuff to dicuss right now.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

You're referring to guitar, not drums, right?
    I'm sure he was, Alex is always solid at a minimum and usually terrific, he was just joking. I am curious if Alex had really bad nights before the mid 80s when he got sober, though, he must have from the stories I've read about him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A or I'm The One
    Last Online

07.12.15 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I am surprised by the intensity and ambition of the album, yes. They could have easily and understandably filled this with age-appropriate mid-tempo rockers and keyboardy tracks, but they bravely took the warrior's way.
    What once upon a time made Van Halen unique in the progression of metal and hard rock (besides Eddie’s prowess as a guitarist) was its sense of fun, its willingness to be not just over the top, but weird.

Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Down the Drain View Post
    I am surprised by the intensity and ambition of the album, yes. They could have easily and understandably filled this with age-appropriate mid-tempo rockers and keyboardy tracks, but they bravely took the warrior's way.
    I totally agree! This album CRUNCHES a lot harder than I expected and it is FAST. Not what I expected... I am ultra curious to see what guys like Kirk Hammett or Slash might have to say about the record.
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

It will be interesting to see which new songs are played on the tour. I'm guessing that Blood & Fire, Tatoo, She's the Woman and Stay Frosty will be the staples. I'm not expecting to hear China Town or The Trouble with Never.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    It will be interesting to see which new songs are played on the tour. I'm guessing that Blood & Fire, Tatoo, She's the Woman and Stay Frosty will be the staples. I'm not expecting to hear China Town or The Trouble with Never.
    Agreed, Tattoo, being the single, will be played, She's the Woman will probably be played since they already played it at Cafe Wha?, and Blood and Fire was practically designed to be played live with the whole "Look at all the people here tonight" line and the space after it where they will obviously turn the spotlights on and Dave will point at everybody. If they do a fourth then Stay Frosty would seem the likely candidate. They may do more or rotate some but I think those four would be the first chosen.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.30.13 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He had that hand operation done. some of it was for a pacific reason like a sty between his thumb joint? or so something like that. a lot of guitarist go through that treatment. loosens things back up. brings back dexterity.
    Last edited by aeorun; 01.31.12 at 09:21 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I honestly thought it would be an entire album of "Tattoo"s. Not that I don't like Tattoo but I really thought their throat slitting days were over.

I think they we're more concerned about street cred more about getting in the pop charts and wanted to prove that they could rock out and and then whatever comes from that would be validation...?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    I honestly thought it would be an entire album of "Tattoo"s. Not that I don't like Tattoo but I really thought their throat slitting days were over.

I think they we're more concerned about street cred more about getting in the pop charts and wanted to prove that they could rock out and and then whatever comes from that would be validation...?
    I think you're onto something with the street cred theory, but I also think that Ed just wanted to play what Ed wanted to play... And with the newly composed riffs he went fast or heavy or both. I love it...!
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.