Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Default Importance of Facebook to Success of ADKOT?

First let me start by saying that I have nothing against Facebook or the millions of people that use it. I know Facebook is an important social network. Having said that, I really don't see why people care what those that use Facebook think of the new album. Won't it be a success regardless? I am not on Facebook and neither are any of my friends. It's not because we are old and out of touch, its becuase I just don't have time for it and would rather use my e-mail, text and call people. Our wives and girlfriends use Facebook though. I guess my point is that many of the folks that will be interested in this music are not neccessarly swayed by Facebook. Am I far off the mark?
    Last edited by WoodyFSR; 01.30.12 at 01:01 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Well, VH has 2.1 million fans on Facebook and is sayd that about 52,000 are currently talking about them. Each song clip that's come up has had about 2-3,000 "likes." Each time somebody "likes" it, it pops up on their friends newsfeeds. I think Facebook will be a great marketing tool for them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyFSR View Post
    First let me start by saying that I have nothing against Facebook or the millions of people that use it. I know Facebook is an important social network. Having said that, I really don't see why people care what those that use Facebook think of the new album. Won't it be a success regardless? I am not on Facebook and neither are any of my friends. It's not because we are old and out of touch, its becuase I just don't have time for it and would rather use my e-mail, text and call people. Our wives and girlfriends use Facebook though. I guess my point is that many of the folks that will be interested in this music are not neccessarly swayed by Facebook. Am I far of the mark?

Not much importance but a lot of us obviously cannot stand reading useless bullshit from people who trash something for the sake of trashing it. Most are a bunch of snooty fucks that are 15-20 years old. The rest are extremely loyal Sam only fans (not that there's anything wrong with that)
    Can't see it swaying sales one bit, unless it's more sales.

Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The social media impact that the band is having is HUGE. This is mind blowing and most people don't even know they are contributing to it.

I mean they put 2 songs for sale up overseas and we all jump through every hoop to get it and then news feeds pick up on it and then people are talking about it and that the songs must be good, etc.

Then you drop the nuggets on Canadian iTunes and people are splicing together song clips, creating youtube videos, tweeting, facebooking, text messaging, etc. all about this stuff.

I hope they start rehearsals soon and start posting those clips. They ( and I assume it's Dave) have been absolutely brilliant about this whole thing.

Someone was ragging on the lack of content on the official website.

WHY DO YOU NEED TO POPULATE IT when we are spreading this like wildfire for them.

I deal with social media all day at my job and this is a pure stroke of genius....
    Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't help but wonder how this great album is going to go over with today's music public. I mean look at the shit that is popular now...American Idol fluff, rap, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber. Most of the general public who drives the music market in sales were probably only in grade school when Van Halen III came out. I would say there is a huge demo that was still in dipers when Balance came out. It's pretty safe to say that these kids might know "Jump" but that's about it. I would bet these kids that would diss the new album cant name more than 5 Van Halen songs without looking it up.

I really hope this will be a huge comback album for the band but seeing how rock radio is pretty much dead it's going to be tough. I mean there are basically two types of rock radio right now. Classic rock stations that do play Van Halen but only the classic songs. They will not play the new songs in heavy rotation no matter how great they are. They might get a couple of plays on those stations but they will be few and far between. The 2nd type of rock radio today is "modern rock" radio. They won't play any Van Halen because they are deemed not "hip" enough or because they are not an "alternative rock band". So unless Interscope can make some of these staions play some of the new tunes, radio won't be much help I'm afraid.

And of course there is no more MTV exposure. MTV died around the same time Balance came out so that is no longer an option to get the word out about the new album.

I think it's going to come down to us the fans to spread the word about this album. The internet will help but I don't think just message boards and Facebook will drive the sales. I just hope the sales will be good enough for the band to consider doing another album after this. Because we will for sure be craving more after this monster!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just wanna know what the meaning behind the name of the album is....

Plus Roth standing on a street corner telling us the name of the album before the Cafe Wha? show.....pure genius.

It spread like wildfire and WE feel like we own a part of it instead of a press conference, etc.

I am just sitting back watching this all unfold and just marvel at it.

Remember who we are dealing with here....Dave is a marketing machine.

I would bet he has the reins of this and driving it all the way home.....

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I can't help but wonder how this great album is going to go over with today's music public. I mean look at the shit that is popular now...American Idol fluff, rap, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber. Most of the general public who drives the music market in sales were probably only in grade school when Van Halen III came out. I would say there is a huge demo that was still in dipers when Balance came out. It's pretty safe to say that these kids might know "Jump" but that's about it. I would bet these kids that would diss the new album cant name more than 5 Van Halen songs without looking it up.

I really hope this will be a huge comback album for the band but seeing how rock radio is pretty much dead it's going to be tough. I mean there are basically two types of rock radio right now. Classic rock stations that do play Van Halen but only the classic songs. They will not play the new songs in heavy rotation no matter how great they are. They might get a couple of plays on those stations but they will be few and far between. The 2nd type of rock radio today is "modern rock" radio. They won't play any Van Halen because they are deemed not "hip" enough or because they are not an "alternative rock band". So unless Interscope can make some of these staions play some of the new tunes, radio won't be much help I'm afraid.

And of course there is no more MTV exposure. MTV died around the same time Balance came out so that is no longer an option to get the word out about the new album.

I think it's going to come down to us the fans to spread the word about this album. The internet will help but I don't think just message boards and Facebook will drive the sales. I just hope the sales will be good enough for the band to consider doing another album after this. Because we will for sure be craving more after this monster!!!

With any news I have been blowing up my facebook page and twitter account and I have been getting the hardcore fans and casual fans to pay attention. Now if that means album sales? I have no clue.

But if this doesn't hit Gold is it a downer for VH? I don't think so....it's a whole different ballgame now.

Motley Crue's "Saint's of Los Angeles" was released in 2008 and sold close to 100K the first week out of the gate and JUST NOW in January hit GOLD.

I think VH will hit gold much much faster....

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,935 Times in 784 Posts

Premium Member

I think Facebook and social media will definitely help promote the album. With over 2 million followers, and upwards of about 3,000 people "liking" the new tunes, the word of new VH is getting out to the masses.

One big media push overthe next week will surely help album sales.

Romeo Delight Trojan Rubber Company's Avatar
    Last Online

07.23.13 @ 01:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150Sooner View Post
    With any news I have been blowing up my facebook page and twitter account and I have been getting the hardcore fans and casual fans to pay attention. Now if that means album sales? I have no clue.

But if this doesn't hit Gold is it a downer for VH? I don't think so....it's a whole different ballgame now.

Motley Crue's "Saint's of Los Angeles" was released in 2008 and sold close to 100K the first week out of the gate and JUST NOW in January hit GOLD.

I think VH will hit gold much much faster....
    Shipped and Sold are two different things

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are today's album sales judged more on it's first week sales more than anything? It used to be how many times platinum an album went to judge it's success. I guess if the album debuts at #1 it will be considered a major success to a large degree. But I just hope it doesn't slide down the charts quickly like most new albums from classic rock groups. The first week sales will be the hardcore fan base but if this is to stay on the charts more than a month or two there will have to be a ton of publicity and word of mouth about how great it is and average old school rock fans or past Van Halen fans that gave up on them years ago will want to pick it up.

It's going to take a bunch of word of mouth for it to be a huge success because I don't think rock radio and magazines will help it at all.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    I think Facebook and social media will definitely help promote the album. With over 2 million followers, and upwards of about 3,000 people "liking" the new tunes, the word of new VH is getting out to the masses.

One big media push overthe next week will surely help album sales.
    You can't underestimate Social Media's role in marketing these days. It spreads a lot of shit at light speed.

I think there's still a big market for things like Van Halen - Metallica and AC/DC's recent records sold well (2x platinum each), and I think Van Halen has to be in that echelon somewhere. There's also the added mystique of it being their first album with Roth in 28 years, that could get some of the old fanboys back into the rotation.

VH is still a pretty powerful name amongst rock enthusiasts, I think the track will sell decently at the least. I'd be surprised if it didn't go Platinum at least once.
    Last edited by 5150 Mean St; 01.30.12 at 02:00 PM.
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

VH promotes on mysapce too but facebook is where the action is.

Yes facebook will help the band sell more mp3's/cd's.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,935 Times in 784 Posts

Premium Member

Facebook is definitely good for marketing. I ran an air show last year, which was marketed big on FB. We had over 160,000 attendees over 2 days.

Once ADKOT drops next week, there will be a lot more chatter via social media IMO.