Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.22.16 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,558 Times in 891 Posts

Premium Member

Default Paula Deen Queen of "Butta" gets a Diabetes diagnosis/endorsement

and apparently even her sons were not happy about it.

This woman is just a poster child for bad habits and while everyone is responsible for their own behavior, this woman has made a cottage industry off of the unhealthiest eating......and now her message is "It's OK Darlin' you can take a shot for that!"

hmm, if she had just come out with having diabetes and trying to sell us on healthier versions of her recipes like her son is doing I would be OK, but this woman waited until she could profit off her situation and that does not make her a good spokesperson in my eyes

Paula Deen's Sons Were Mad About Pharma Deal, Say Rumors

Posted: 01/30/2012 10:27 am

Paula Deen's diabetes announcement has stirred up anger and loathing from across the food world. For evidence, you don't need to look much further than the comment boards of any story HuffPost Food has posted on the topic.

But the circle of critique seems to get narrower and narrower. First, it was revealed that Paula didn't have the support of fellow celebrity chefs, or even her own publicist. And now rumors say that even Deen's own sons opposed her decision to endorse diabetes drug Victoza.

Allegedly, Deen had been taking a different diabetes medication before she inked her $6 million to rep Victoza, which is injected daily. And the New York Post reports that Bobby and Jamie, the hosts of new Cooking Channel show "Not My Mama's Cooking," were afraid that switching away from her successful treatment to a new one -- just for the sake of a few million dollars -- could endanger their mothers' health.

That's because Victoza, which is manufactured by the pharmaceutical giant Novo Nordisk, is just one of several high-profile diabetes medications on the market. Today even brought the news that a drug, Bydureon, which has to be injected just once a week, had just been approved for use by the FDA. Like Victoza, it's derived from a hormone found in Gila monsters -- but unlike Victoza, it isn't being endorsed by a famous celebrity chef.

But even if the Victoza deal did set off a Deen family feud, the trio seems to have patched things up. Bobby and Jamie had said at first that they were going to stick by Paula's now-ex publicist Nancy Assuncao, perhaps a show of solidarity with Assuncao's anti-Victoza views. But since then, they have allegedly decided to hire Paula's new publicity firm.

Last Online

02.13.12 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm guessing big Pharma pays more than the bean sprout or tofu lobby.

Just sayin'.

10.23.16 @ 03:29 AM
    Liked 3,453 Times in 1,783 Posts

Premium Member

Used to watch her show about ten years ago right after my mom passed away, and she would always make me laugh and even tear up a little bit because my mom and her shared the same kind of cooking style and pissing vinegar attitude. Then I watched her star rise and became sickened at the fact that she wasn't even really cooking anymore like she started out, but just pushing her brand. I know she came from nothing and made it big, but I lost respect for her along time ago. Please don't tell me she also sells a line of lavender colored wigs... cause that's what her show reminds me of anymore.

I knew what the deal with this diabetes thing was gonna be the second I heard the news... another way for her to cash in. God bless her swollen toes.
    Last edited by Number 47; 01.30.12 at 02:27 PM.