Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Can Wolfgang Van Halen save the rock genre?

Let's back up a bit... Let's first discuss how he saved Van Halen.

Yeah that's what I said. And it's not that crazy either... I keep thinking about the state Ed was in when he and Val divorced and it was pretty rough. Hell- you were all there for the '04 tour. At some point something clicked and Ed realized if he wanted to write and perform music with his son he was gonna have to get his shit together. So even if Wolf did nothing more than be born, and obviously show a genuine interest in and natural talent for music- if he wasn't there to influence Ed who knows what the state of Van Halen may be? I really think we may have never heard anything worthwhile from them again- but thank God we'll never have to find out.

Now, we have this kid who isn't even old enough to drink a beer yet about to go on his 2nd world tour as a member of one of the greatest rock acts of all time... And his teacher, coach, mentor and father is one of the most influential guitarists in the history of the instrument- WOAH!! I can't wait to see what wolf does in a few years, a decade or so from now, on his own- with another 35-40 years in front of him! there's not a whole lot left of the rock genre. Right now i'd say Foo Fighters are the best thing out there for rock- as far as bands that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. maybe Nickelback. And hopefully VH will pump out a couple more albums too and reclaim their relevance in the industry. (i have all the clips on continuous loop right now and this album is a fucking monster! there's a real chance this record could attract the casual fan.) But with the talent he has and all the tools at his disposal- Wolf could at least be a major player in keeping rock alive for years to come!!!

maybe, maybe not... Am I talking out of my ass?
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

You're kinda talking out of your ass, but we'll let it slide. It's nice to have positive shit to discuss for once!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did someone just mention Foo Fighters and Nickleback in the same sentence?

Van Halen is a cross between religion and ice-hockey

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You're kinda talking out of your ass, but we'll let it slide. It's nice to have positive shit to discuss for once!
    Last edited by Fat Cabernet; 01.30.12 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allblacknblue View Post

Yeah- I did and you're right- I am sorry- no disrespect to Foo Fighters!!! but that just illustrates how desperate real rock is for some great art!!

Wow I am really embarrassed about that now...
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Cabernet View Post
    Let's back up a bit... Let's first discuss how he saved Van Halen.

Yeah that's what I said. And it's not that crazy either... I keep thinking about the state Ed was in when he and Val divorced and it was pretty rough. Hell- you were all there for the '04 tour. At some point something clicked and Ed realized if he wanted to write and perform music with his son he was gonna have to get his shit together. So even if Wolf did nothing more than be born, and obviously show a genuine interest in and natural talent for music- if he wasn't there to influence Ed who knows what the state of Van Halen may be? I really think we may have never heard anything worthwhile from them again- but thank God we'll never have to find out.

Now, we have this kid who isn't even old enough to drink a beer yet about to go on his 2nd world tour as a member of one of the greatest rock acts of all time... And his teacher, coach, mentor and father is one of the most influential guitarists in the history of the instrument- WOAH!! I can't wait to see what wolf does in a few years, a decade or so from now, on his own- with another 35-40 years in front of him! there's not a whole lot left of the rock genre. Right now i'd say Foo Fighters are the best thing out there for rock- as far as bands that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. maybe Nickelback. And hopefully VH will pump out a couple more albums too and reclaim their relevance in the industry. (i have all the clips on continuous loop right now and this album is a fucking monster! there's a real chance this record could attract the casual fan.) But with the talent he has and all the tools at his disposal- Wolf could at least be a major player in keeping rock alive for years to come!!!

maybe, maybe not... Am I talking out of my ass?
    Food for thought, our Grand kids could end up going to see a band called Van Halen in whatever incarnation it exists when Wolf is his dad's current age.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Look at Dweezil Zappa being more or less an ambassador for his dad's music. But I'm not anywhere near ready to think about this sort of thing while we still have the real deal standing upright, hopefully for many years to come. Also, a lot has been made about Wolfgang getting his dad back with Dave, picking the '07 tour setlist, keeping Ed sober and focused, etc. Who knows if any of that is even true but he has to have had some positive impact overall.

Banned!
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 03:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The question for me would be, at what stage does WVH decide that rather than being a part of an entity that he's only a part of through nepotism, that he's going to look to make his own mark on the world with musicians his own age?

He's a 20 year old kid in a band with almost 60 year olds. Are there any other bands with a similar situation? Not saying that it's wrong, but I would think that at some stage he'd want to be WVH in his own right, rather than as part of an entity that is inherently connected to EVH & AVH

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

At the barest of bare minimums, Wolf, should he want it, he can have a lucrative career as a sideman/session musician in the vein of Pino Palladino and Nathan East, to name only two bassists.

He's only 20. He's got serious chops and contacts in the industry. Even without Van Halen (the band), the world is wide, wide open to him.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Come off it Wolf hasn't saved anything, not the rock genre or VH. I can't understand people thinking he has, it's like some believe he's the Messiah or something.

Eddie wanted to bring Wolf into the fold so he could work with his son & oust MA in the process. Ed was ready to move forward, Wolf was just part of his plan.

I'm not interested in seeing Wolf or any other musicians offspring take over a legendary band in the future. For example I don't want to see Austin Dickinson (Bruce's son) fronting a future version of Iron Maiden, he has his own band. That's the same thing Wolf should be doing. Who wants to see Malcolm Young's kid take the reigns of AC/DC?
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

In my opinion, Wolfie saved his Dad. Now the full story is probably more complex but you'd have to be a cynical bastard to say that Wolfgang the Son, had little or no effect on Eddie the Dad.

He had a definate effect. How much? Only two people in the whole world know for sure.

Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by allblacknblue View Post

WHEW! I was afraid he was going to say something about Hinder. Damn that was close....
    Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

05.24.13 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    In my opinion, Wolfie saved his Dad. Now the full story is probably more complex but you'd have to be a cynical bastard to say that Wolfgang the Son, had little or no effect on Eddie the Dad.

He had a definate effect. How much? Only two people in the whole world know for sure.
    This so much. You'd have to be blind to not see that despite all the shit Ed's gone through in the past decade or so, he's always loved his son. Shit, Ed's named an instrumental after Wolfie's birthday and named his signature line of guitars after him too. Ever since Wolfie was born, Ed's been showing everyone how much he loves his son.

So yeah, I'm pretty confident Wolfie was at the very least a very big factor as to why all this great stuff is happening now, and especially the fact that Ed's still alive and now in much better health than he was at the start of 2007.
    I don't always listen to Van Halen, but when I do, I prefer David Lee Roth. 'Stay Frosty' my friends. - The Most Interesting Man In The World

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.30.13 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The genre? who knows what he will do. maybe he will end up in a band writing VH inspired tunes one day. He would be the one able to do it.

Whats a scary thought is how many skeletons he has had to maybe have in his closet(s) for maybe witnessing some things that are best left unsaid/seen. we all go through it, albeit some worse than others. i know his mother protected him from a lot of it. but a lot of it he no doubt has seen and witnessed first hand.

He's still young, has an affluent life and sometimes those things can help smoothen out rough edges or temporarily disguise them for the time being only to come out later in life. off hand i wonder how much weight this kids had to carry for it all. if indeed he were the catalyst of all of this happening today.

I know some of this is slightly OT but it is a wolfie like thread so i thought i would throw it out there while i had the chance.