Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

07.09.12 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Recording Process

So we've heard all of the speculation about the band recording the tracks and sending them over to Dave for vocals, going back to old demos because they don't want to try and collaborate with Dave, etc. I'm of the opinion, having heard all of the extended previews, that this is simply too tight to have been worked out remotely. What do you guys think?

Dave talks about it in his recent interview when he says they wanted to basically collaborate with their old, hungry material. I have to think that they were all together in 5150.

Discuss.
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonus7 View Post
    So we've heard all of the speculation about the band recording the tracks and sending them over to Dave for vocals, going back to old demos because they don't want to try and collaborate with Dave, etc. I'm of the opinion, having heard all of the extended previews, that this is simply too tight to have been worked out remotely. What do you guys think?

Dave talks about it in his recent interview when he says they wanted to basically collaborate with their old, hungry material. I have to think that they were all together in 5150.

Discuss.

I'm pretty sure Dave didn't record with the other guys but I'm also sure they worked on the songs together. They'd almost have to. Ed said in an interview that he'd been to Dave's house on a number of occasions.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Alright you sinners swiiiinnnnngggg!

I can't wait to hear blood and fire live. I hope they play the whole fucking thing live.
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Alright you sinners swiiiinnnnngggg!

I can't wait to hear blood and fire live. I hope they play the whole fucking thing live.
    You haven't been here in awhile have you?
    I can picture on one of the "look at all the people here tonight" lines, the band stopping and everybody going nuts while Dave does something to ramp up the crowd.

And man, if they did Sinner's Swing, I'd go completely bonkers. That song would go nicely with one of the heavier new tunes.

Anyway back to the topic. I think it was recorded all over the place.
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 01.29.12 at 07:13 PM.

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

05.24.13 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope they play the whole fucking thing live.
    I agree with this. While "Tattoo" is leagues inferior to what I've heard from the rest of the album, there doesn't seem to be a track on the album that I don't like already or love completely. A Different Kind of Truth seems to be quite a solid package and it'd be killer to see all that BADASS material get played live.
    I don't always listen to Van Halen, but when I do, I prefer David Lee Roth. 'Stay Frosty' my friends. - The Most Interesting Man In The World

Last Online

11.16.12 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave probably came over on occasion but was not as involved with the arrangement process as much as the other three. I'm assuming when they had something worked up, Dave would hear it and offer his two cents. That's about it.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yiggity View Post
    Dave probably came over on occasion but was not as involved with the arrangement process as much as the other three. I'm assuming when they had something worked up, Dave would hear it and offer his two cents. That's about it.
    I'd buy that.

Yes, Sinners Swing, it's been a minute but I'm back.

They should absolutely sub "Sinners Swing" In place of "Tattoo". That song doesn't even sound like its from the same album but SS would fit in perfectly. I swear, it's as if Van Halen was kidnapped and sent out into outer space like the villains from Superman back in 1981 and we've been listening to imposters since then. Now they've come back to earth and are taking no prisoners. Hide your daughters! Kneel before general Roth!!! Lol
    Eat Us And Smile

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yiggity View Post
    Cool. I can't wait to hear more about the inner workings of this band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 4,804 Times in 2,452 Posts

Premium Member

Well I think it went like this.

Dave showed up at 5150 and asked Eddie "boozy bop jop Eddie where are the ten albums?" Eddie says "oh its a lie. I can't write a song to save my life but here is 10 Terabytes worth of riffs that are in 20 second increments. Why don't you do what you and Sam did in the old days and piece some together? Alex has them serialized by what key they are in. You know me, I am totally unable to write a complete song from the riffs I compose. I am like less talented than Jack White. Ok I need to plan Wolfgang's graduation party, my wedding and then will appear on 2.5 Men. Will be back in a year."

So Dave stayed at 5150 for a year and found fascination with a train set that Wolfgang had as kid. Anyway Eddie shows up and says "ok let me see what songs you have created from my riffs."

Dave said "I couldn't write anything. Everything was played with a tuba."

Eddie said "oh no, I gave you the wrong shit. This sobriety thing is kicking my ass. I just found out about 6 ply binding. It's like 5 ply but one better. Anyway here are 100 Terabytes of riffs. Go at it. I have to appear get some award with the dude from Iron Man and will be appearing on George Lopez show. Be back in another year.

Eddie came back and asked Roth what he had. Roth said I don't have anything. Eddie kicked him in the nuts and said "you have one week. If not, I will tell you the story of how me and Alex started to play guitar and drums."

In a week, Roth had all the songs.

I think that was about it.

Favorite VH Album

VH-5150
    Last Online

03.20.15 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all - my first time posting. I just listened to the clip for She's the Woman for the first time (I'm tryin to hold out for the album for full songs) and I it kicked so match ass it got me thinking about the recording process on the new songs too. All these songs have a lot of production and considering the other clips I've heard it sounds like some were pieced together more than others, but this one really captures the energy of the VH punch - I can't wait to hear it on a real stereo!

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The truth is, that no one knows the process but the producer and the VH camp...

if I were to take a guess, I'd say it was a little of both..

Dave being there initially when ideas were tossed around and then also sent files to NY or where ever he was.

I doubt they did the whole thing live as a band like the old days...

Either way, it sounds fresh and heavy...

can't wait to hear the entire thing. One thing I have noticed from the short clips of Ed's solos....he seems to have laid off the Floyd and focused more on balls out shredding...yet still with feel
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

One issue

On Stay Frosty, that's definitely Dave playing guitar through the whole track. You need to be in the recording studio with the others to get that to synch up. Secondly Honeybabysweetiedoll seems to be a very...Roth centric track. He would need to be involved with the recording process with that I think.

I think Roth recorded vocals somewhere else, but was present when the band recorded the music.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.16.12 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blood and fire is my new favorite thing...told you I was comin back...say it like you mean it...Sammy can suck this one...holy shit!

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Eddie kicked him in the nuts and said "you have one week. If not, I will tell you the story of how me and Alex started to play guitar and drums."

In a week, Roth had all the songs.
    I LOL'd, well played sir!
    Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Well...whatever they did...it worked.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.