Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solos

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default Solos

I wonder what everyone thinks of the solos we've heard so far? I am floored at how much energy they, have, how aggressive he's playing, etc. I never thought I'd hear that on this album, which is fantastic.

My only "wish" is that they'd be a little more melodic in places. I know he's smokin' and playing a lot of notes, technically brilliant, but the solos don't seem to be much within the song structure to me, just lots of playing.

With my favorite Eddie solos, not only were they brilliant with flourishes of speed, I could always hum the melody, almost learning the solos as a song. I don't see that combination of playing and sensibility and it makes the solos not very memorable for me. Do you guys?

acs

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Can't tell now, let's see after 2/7
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

We've heard three tunes, though, already. I guess there's 10 more to go!

acs

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    I wonder what everyone thinks of the solos we've heard so far? I am floored at how much energy they, have, how aggressive he's playing, etc. I never thought I'd hear that on this album, which is fantastic.

My only "wish" is that they'd be a little more melodic in places. I know he's smokin' and playing a lot of notes, technically brilliant, but the solos don't seem to be much within the song structure to me, just lots of playing.

With my favorite Eddie solos, not only were they brilliant with flourishes of speed, I could always hum the melody, almost learning the solos as a song. I don't see that combination of playing and sensibility and it makes the solos not very memorable for me. Do you guys?

acs

I agree his fire is back... and that some of his new solos are more memorable than others.

... what I'm missing are his fills during the verses...
    (Think fills on "I'm The One", "You Really Got Me.")

- mrC.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

People have been saying for years that Ed had lost it "shred wise" I think the solos are aggressive as if he's saying "you know what? I didn't want to go here but if you insist, take this bitches"

That being said, I think there is some nice melodic runs in BAF.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.23.12 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I understand what you're getting at, but I actually think the solo in Blood and Fire fits perfectly with the song. I feel it blends right in, doesn't feel forced and achieves that melody within the context of the overall tune. Just imo

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i cant really respond to the solos cause ive only really heard the one off of tattoo. ive sorta heard the shes the woman solo from the club wha. but was sorta hard to get a feel for it will wolfs base all loud. i gotta sorta be careful with these clips till the disc comes out cause im finding myself going down the road humming what i think ed would do for a solo cause i havnt actually heard the solo. n to be honest im putting together some pretty damn good hummed solos my damn self n just dont wanna possibly be dissapointed when i hear eds actual solo if thats possible. lol am i sounding like dumbass geek yet?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamvhcornell View Post
    i cant really respond to the solos cause ive only really heard the one off of tattoo. ive sorta heard the shes the woman solo from the club wha. but was sorta hard to get a feel for it will wolfs base all loud. i gotta sorta be careful with these clips till the disc comes out cause im finding myself going down the road humming what i think ed would do for a solo cause i havnt actually heard the solo. n to be honest im putting together some pretty damn good hummed solos my damn self n just dont wanna possibly be dissapointed when i hear eds actual solo if thats possible. lol am i sounding like dumbass geek yet?
    Not at all man, unless we all are. Wait . . .
    I have the songs running through my head and I'm adding shit to all of em. Kinda jamming along and adding notes here and there. It's what good music does when it's floating around in my brain soup.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 4,814 Times in 2,457 Posts

Premium Member

There honestly was only a handful of solos Eddie has done since 84 that impressed me. I know on Balance and VH3 he had his chops but nothing on those albums hit me the same way as hearing Blood on Fire or Trouble With Never. It's like either he is pissed off at cancer, alcohol and being with Dave all at the same time. Doesn't sound like he is playing it safe or resting on his laurels.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme, Mean Street
    Last Online

07.03.12 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard the complete Blood and Fire, The Trouble With Never, Tatoo and I'm pretty heartbroken that the solos are for the most part cobbled together with the same bag of licks Eddie has been using over and over from 1985 onward. I was really hoping working with DLR would break him out of his rut, but I don't see it yet.

For example in "Blood and Fire" at 2:03 right before the solo he plays a passage that is very similar to "Everybody wants some" and then at 2:40 there is a bending and tapping sequence that sounds exactly like what he plays in Aftershock.

The songs themselves I like, although I really wish his guitar tone wasn't so thin and trebley.

Don't get me wrong - ANY new VH music is great, but I just really want Eddie to blow our minds again like he did in the original 6 pack.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

So far I love the solos and I'm grinning ear to ear. The solo in Tattoo is what sold me on the rest of the song and then I loved that song more with each listen. Give them some time to imprint in your mind. We've had decades in some cases to listen to his other solos. Anyone else catch that two-handed hammer on/pull off lick that he uses in the Blood and Fire solo that is also in the outro to Aftershock? I love where he uses it in the new song.

I must say, for as many solos as Ed has performed over the years he really mixes up his techniques and his "bag of tricks" so very rarely do you hear the same part of a solo repeated. That's really tough to do as a guitarist. Any time I improvise a rock solo it pretty much ends up sounding like the same pentatonic run of notes. ha

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.09.17 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the recent reviews of Tatoo said it best:
    "...then Eddie Van Halen delivers a 'in case you forgot' guitar solo."

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zif View Post
    I've heard the complete Blood and Fire, The Trouble With Never, Tatoo and I'm pretty heartbroken that the solos are for the most part cobbled together with the same bag of licks Eddie has been using over and over from 1985 onward. I was really hoping working with DLR would break him out of his rut, but I don't see it yet.

For example in "Blood and Fire" at 2:03 right before the solo he plays a passage that is very similar to "Everybody wants some" and then at 2:40 there is a bending and tapping sequence that sounds exactly like what he plays in Aftershock.

The songs themselves I like, although I really wish his guitar tone wasn't so thin and trebley.

Don't get me wrong - ANY new VH music is great, but I just really want Eddie to blow our minds again like he did in the original 6 pack.
    Funny, I was typing my post without seeing your post, such different opinions on the same topic. I'll tell you what, if you think he's in a rut with his soloing since '85, then please, please someone put me in that same rut with my playing!! I'll have to listen again for that similarity to EWS, but to me similar is still different. I definitely noticed the part from Aftershock, but I love that lick and hearing that few seconds repeated again just brings back good memories. It's just great to hear him ripping it up in 2012 and I've been listening since '78.

I don't think there's any way he can blow our minds quite the same way again since our minds aren't the same. I had been playing guitar since '76 and I heard Eruption when the first album was released in '78. You just can't recreate the type of impact hearing that solo had on me, not to mention the rest of the first album. I think by the time I got through hearing I'm The One I was ready to hang up the guitar for good (ha, but didn't).

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zif View Post

Why is it all noobs feel the need to join here and say the dumbest shit?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme, Mean Street
    Last Online

07.03.12 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@donkost - I hear you man

I'm a guitarist myself and like many, many others worship EVH. I spent a good 15 years chasing his early tone (the cash i spent, good lord ).