Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default How music has changed in the last 28 years

With VH's release right around the corner I thought I'd start a thread on how music has changed since DLR last released record with Van Halen. I'll keep my comments thoughtful, cynical or more serious but if you want to add funny things that have changed be my guest.

1. This is the first record I'm going to buy and am actually excited about listening to the whole record in I don't know how long. Music is so driven by shock value and that one song that will get a million downloads that I don't even think people listen to records anymore. Or actually take the time to listen period. They just listen to that one song and throw the record out. Not that different than the top 40 back in the day and being a kid but I'd still listen to records. I will actually buy this record. Companies like to blame the internet and piracy but I am actually buying this record no regrets. Why is that? Maybe because it's worth it to me? Sentimental value. I really want to hear it. I want to own it.

2. Van Halen is a band that had to work to get to where they are. They played clubs got noticed in a club by gene simmons but started from the bottom. I t hink their personalities and longevity speak to that as well. They weren't some band that got noticed on a reality show or american idol and priviledged enough to be even be there in the first place. Van Halen and bands 28 years ago used to separate themselves from each other and have their own sound and personality. Just following these guys I would root for them. They just seemed more real to me. Maybe kids these days do that with Lady GAga, but I don't think you will see a lady gaga forum 28 years from now and people anxiously awaiting a release. No matter how crazy she acts or dresses I just don't think she is that special. Even if VH may not be as relevant the fact they have fans like this is telling.

3. The accessibility of music is much easier to get nowadays, where if people actually listen will realize how different Van Halen is to anything they've heard. Maybe it's just rock and roll but I haven't heard a good rock and roll song in a while that just got me excited like this.

Maybe it's not that different it's just different how these musicians and fans get there. Maybe it's the same but has just gotten to be too generalized and contrived. And people notice it more. The media and the internet has changed a lot that is for sure. I think bands like VH were kind of finding their way in the dark a bit more back then. I think they separated themselves enough from other bands where they were something special. Where 28 years later I will plop down my money no questions asked and enjoy it and not even think about that part of it. I just want to hear the record.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 01.25.12 at 10:44 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.27.15 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default How we listen

I think another huge difference is how we listen to new music.

You see everyone bitching on Facebook how they think the new stuff sucks after hearing the teaser clips on Youtube. Drives me nuts. Don't make a comment until you hear the ENTIRE song on regular stereo, car stereo, or good headphones.

On my first listening of Tattoo on the Vimeo, I was actually quite disappointed... but as soon as I cranked it up loud in my car via Spotify, the song sounded completely different. Same thing today with the teaser clip of Blood and Fire... hearing the full song tonight after getting it from Amazon, blown away.

Imagine if people heard the old songs for the first time like they are now with the new songs... they'd probably be bitching about them too.

Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JTCanavera View Post
    I think another huge difference is how we listen to new music.

You see everyone bitching on Facebook how they think the new stuff sucks after hearing the teaser clips on Youtube. Drives me nuts. Don't make a comment until you hear the ENTIRE song on regular stereo, car stereo, or good headphones.

On my first listening of Tattoo on the Vimeo, I was actually quite disappointed... but as soon as I cranked it up loud in my car via Spotify, the song sounded completely different. Same thing today with the teaser clip of Blood and Fire... hearing the full song tonight after getting it from Amazon, blown away.

Imagine if people heard the old songs for the first time like they are now with the new songs... they'd probably be bitching about them too.
    I Think it's the state of our society in general. It's instant gratification or something. There is so many distractions out there people just fume at the slightest thing. It really goes in all directions. The trouble with never is kind of an interesting song. Dave sounds almost like he is making fun of closeminded people in ways. I think half the issue is it goes in all directions. I don't like certain things sometimes but I usually don't mean it like people think I do. I'm actually a pretty open minded person who just gets sick of other people who aren't worth it. There is more idiocy out there than you know and it goes in all directions.

I grew up in a different time or something. The stuff I see these days is just ridiculous how some people act. Thing is it's not like that in reality. Some people feed off this stuff. It's easy to be an asshole when there is no face.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 01.25.12 at 11:33 PM.