Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default John Shanks may win a grammy for this one

I'm quite amazed how well these new songs are turning out. BAck in the day it might not have been possible to capture the band like this at their age. Production played a big role in their earlier records. But certain parts of each song here seems like they recorded one part and then play it again. There are also some really cool effects going on. I'm wondering how much technology played a part though. I don't know enough about music production to say exactly what they are doing but I know enough about technology to say it played a huge role here.

The sound production is really amazing though. IT's way better than anything this band has done production wise in a long time. Having Dave helps obviously. BUt the sound of the band is a huge surprise to me.

All these old bands have been cashing in lately. The CArs, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, AC DC. This may be the best of the bunch though.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 01.25.12 at 08:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I'm quite amazed how well these new songs are turning out. BAck in the day it might not have been possible to capture the band like this at their age. Production played a big role in their earlier records. But certain parts of each song here seems like they recorded one part and then play it again. There are also some really cool effects going on. I'm wondering how much technology played a part though. I don't know enough about music production to say exactly what they are doing but I know enough about technology to say it played a huge role here.

The sound production is really amazing though. IT's way better than anything this band has done production wise in a long time. Having Dave helps obviously. BUt the sound of the band is a huge surprise to me.

All these old bands have been cashing in lately. The CArs, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, AC DC. This may be the best of the bunch though.
    My understanding was that Ross Hogarth did the lion's share of the producing on this album, with Shanks just doing some work on the vocals.

Did I miss something?

Last Online

You are correct. My understanding was Ross Hogarth was the techy guy and Shanks was the vocals like you said. Both are amazing though. Technically Wolfy, Dave, Eddie, Al all sound freakin amazing. So both of them deserve a grammy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Friends of mine (two married couples) are all high execs with Eminence Speaker outside of Louisville, and they were out at NAMM last week. One of the girls told me she got to meet and hang out with Shanks for a bit. Said he was a stellar guy and she'd fill me in on her visit with him when we go to the opening night show together in Louisville. Can't wait to hear that convo.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Friends of mine (two married couples) are all high execs with Eminence Speaker outside of Louisville, and they were out at NAMM last week. One of the girls told me she got to meet and hang out with Shanks for a bit. Said he was a stellar guy and she'd fill me in on her visit with him when we go to the opening night show together in Louisville. Can't wait to hear that convo.
    I don't doubt that. I've listened to interviews with him and he seems like a really cool nice guy. He's also a genius at getting out of bands what we want to hear. I'd love to know what they did here technology wise.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    My father's best friend's roommate in college...

Heh, just bustin' your chops. That's cool. Can't wait to hear what he has to say!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.25.13 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    The sound production is really amazing though. IT's way better than anything this band has done production wise in a long time.

I think it sounds terrible. It's dull, muddy, dry as toast, and overcompressed beyond belief.

It's a shame, since the 2 tracks I just heard today deserved far better production.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

To me everything sounds a little too compressed. Not a huge fan of that compressed sound.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpassable CD View Post

I think it sounds terrible. It's dull, muddy, dry as toast, and overcompressed beyond belief.

It's a shame, since the 2 tracks I just heard today deserved far better production.
    you are talking about the actual format of the sound though and how it went into production. I was more talking about the band itself and the music. I think all bands these days have this issue for the most part. It's how it's mass produced. I could be wrong.

I agree with you that most music these days has a certain sound to it that is too compressed.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 01.25.12 at 08:27 PM.

Last Online

There is only so much technology out there. To be current when compressing music they are using a more current compression would be my guess. And they all have that sound. There are only so many kinds of compression you can choose from. That's why it sounds like that. And all bands sound like that that are mass produced. Because they are all using the same compression. They aren't sitting there with a mic and just recording it to a record. It's all digitally compressed and there are only so many algorithms for that. They compress the fuck out of it so they can mass produce it cheapest. Money. Money. Money. They just say we will use this technology and compress it at that rate and they don't really get into the details that much.

People are meatheads in other words. They might be geniuses music wise. But technology they are just relying on what they are told is good. They aren't going to sit there and mess with the compression that much.

They aren't going to break out the oldschool ways of doing thigns because it's more difficult and time is money.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 01.25.12 at 08:39 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    My father's best friend's roommate in college...

Heh, just bustin' your chops. That's cool. Can't wait to hear what he has to say!
    LOL! Well played.

These are folks I grew up with and hang out with, though. Not sure if I'll get anything of substance out of the convo, but I'll be sure to share if I do.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    To me everything sounds a little too compressed. Not a huge fan of that compressed sound.
    I agree and I said the same thing about Chickenfoot too. Don't understand why people fall in love with compression. To me its the sustainer of recording. Nothing breathes anymore.

However compared to VH3 it sounds great. I give the producers credit for completing the album. Couldn't have been easy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I think Chickenfoot sounds much warmer than these VH tunes. I'm hoping it's just the MP3's, but I am not impressed with the production so far. Yeah it's better than VH 3, but that's not exactly saying much.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I think Chickenfoot sounds much warmer than these VH tunes. I'm hoping it's just the MP3's, but I am not impressed with the production so far. Yeah it's better than VH 3, but that's not exactly saying much.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20...-us-two-mixes/

I think it sounds loud and bright vs warm.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

I'm betting a lot of it has to do with the mp3's. These sound better than the New Zealand "Tattoo" and have a lower bitrate. Weird shit. It won't be perfect on cd either but I'm sure it'll be warmer. If all else fails, the guy from a couple weeks ago that re-did Tattoo will be up for the task.

They sound good to me with headphones and in the car. Can't wait for the vinyl.
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 01.25.12 at 08:51 PM.