Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default A Little Perspective.

Reading over the threads here the last few weeks since all the news started pouring in, it's been obvious that there's a bit of a dichotomy among fans and their reactions. Obviously, it's all subjective, and nobody is right or wrong in their opinions. However, I think it's a good idea for all of us to keep things in perspective as the band moves forward, which in itself is a great thing no matter which way you look at it.

First, expectations must be tempered with reality in mind. These guys haven't recorded a full album together in 27 years, and are well into their 50's now. We can't expect them to just pick up like it's 1985. Everything we are hearing so far is a hell of a lot better than most "older" acts have put out at this stage in their careers. If anybody can make an impact on the music scene at that age, and with such a large gap in their time playing together, it's the Mighty Van Halen.

Second, as much as I'd give my left nut to have Mike Anthony back in the band, it's not going to happen any time soon, if at all. Regardless of any back stories of tension, etc., Ed has every right to want to play with his son. Few artists of his stature get the opportunity to do this, and I'm very happy for him, although it took me some time to get over Mike's exit. He's the only band member I've ever met, and he's one of the coolest people I've met, ever. His vocals and stage presence are going to be missed, but all of our grumbling will likely never change anything. The whole idea of replacing his picture on the old albums is another argument entirely, but there's no point in going over that again. Anyhoo, it's time to embrace the new direction and sound with Wolfie. Again, nobody is obligated to like it, but it's reality. Take it or leave it.

With those things having been said, here are a few reasons why I think we should all be thankful as VH fans, because they are basically giving us what so many have asked for over the years:

New material with Roth. OK, a lot of it (and all of it could be for all we know at this point) is reworked stuff, but I'd still take it over any of the bullshit that's released by most "artists" these days. "Tattoo" is growing on me, and "Blood and Fire"...I don't know how any hard core fan can't be stoked about that track. Whether we like the tunes or not, this is the first way the band is giving the fans what they've wanted.

On that note, hard core fans have wanted to see songs from those early demos get polished up and put on albums for years. Give the fans what they want, Part II.

Next, we've all complained about the lack of info from the band for years. My opinion is they've never wanted to blow smoke up our asses unless they really had something worthwhile to say. Ed had surgery, went through rehab, got remarried. The guy's allowed to have a life. But now here they are, slamming us with info and new stuff like we've never seen from them in years. Give the people what they want.

We've all wondered why they have Facebook and Twitter pages when they never use them except for the sporadic announcements about new EVH gear. All of a sudden, they are jumping into the 21st Century and utilizing modern marketing methods. We're getting exclusives and rare stuff, which is something else we've always felt was lacking from a fan's perspective. Check that one off the list as well.

You can attribute it all to the new label if you want. And you don't have to agree with me by any means, but maybe - just maybe - the band/Ed have been paying attention all along to what the fans have been saying and wishing for, and just waited until they had all their ducks in a row in their personal lives, etc. to be able to deliver.

Feel free to agree or disagree. What I do know is that it's a hell of a lot of fun to see these guys smiling together and having fun getting out there to start a new chapter in the =VH= book.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Reading over the threads here the last few weeks since all the news started pouring in, it's been obvious that there's a bit of a dichotomy among fans and their reactions. Obviously, it's all subjective, and nobody is right or wrong in their opinions. However, I think it's a good idea for all of us to keep things in perspective as the band moves forward, which in itself is a great thing no matter which way you look at it.

First, expectations must be tempered with reality in mind. These guys haven't recorded a full album together in 27 years, and are well into their 50's now. We can't expect them to just pick up like it's 1985. Everything we are hearing so far is a hell of a lot better than most "older" acts have put out at this stage in their careers. If anybody can make an impact on the music scene at that age, and with such a large gap in their time playing together, it's the Mighty Van Halen.

Second, as much as I'd give my left nut to have Mike Anthony back in the band, it's not going to happen any time soon, if at all. Regardless of any back stories of tension, etc., Ed has every right to want to play with his son. Few artists of his stature get the opportunity to do this, and I'm very happy for him, although it took me some time to get over Mike's exit. He's the only band member I've ever met, and he's one of the coolest people I've met, ever. His vocals and stage presence are going to be missed, but all of our grumbling will likely never change anything. The whole idea of replacing his picture on the old albums is another argument entirely, but there's no point in going over that again. Anyhoo, it's time to embrace the new direction and sound with Wolfie. Again, nobody is obligated to like it, but it's reality. Take it or leave it.

With those things having been said, here are a few reasons why I think we should all be thankful as VH fans, because they are basically giving us what so many have asked for over the years:

New material with Roth. OK, a lot of it (and all of it could be for all we know at this point) is reworked stuff, but I'd still take it over any of the bullshit that's released by most "artists" these days. "Tattoo" is growing on me, and "Blood and Fire"...I don't know how any hard core fan can't be stoked about that track. Whether we like the tunes or not, this is the first way the band is giving the fans what they've wanted.

On that note, hard core fans have wanted to see songs from those early demos get polished up and put on albums for years. Give the fans what they want, Part II.

Next, we've all complained about the lack of info from the band for years. My opinion is they've never wanted to blow smoke up our asses unless they really had something worthwhile to say. Ed had surgery, went through rehab, got remarried. The guy's allowed to have a life. But now here they are, slamming us with info and new stuff like we've never seen from them in years. Give the people what they want.

We've all wondered why they have Facebook and Twitter pages when they never use them except for the sporadic announcements about new EVH gear. All of a sudden, they are jumping into the 21st Century and utilizing modern marketing methods. We're getting exclusives and rare stuff, which is something else we've always felt was lacking from a fan's perspective. Check that one off the list as well.

You can attribute it all to the new label if you want. And you don't have to agree with me by any means, but maybe - just maybe - the band/Ed have been paying attention all along to what the fans have been saying and wishing for, and just waited until they had all their ducks in a row in their personal lives, etc. to be able to deliver.

Feel free to agree or disagree. What I do know is that it's a hell of a lot of fun to see these guys smiling together and having fun getting out there to start a new chapter in the =VH= book.

But it's not ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . . .
    Good post!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    But it's not ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . . .
    Good post!!!
    Such is the world of VH fans.

Thanks, SS!

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

right?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Nice sentiments Wolfman, but nothing that has not already been said by dozens of other Linkers in a dozen other threads. Onward HO!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dirtymovies View Post
    right?

Right!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Nice sentiments Wolfman, but nothing that has not already been said by dozens of other Linkers in a dozen other threads. Onward HO!
    Oh, I'm sure of that. Blame it on an 8 yr hiatus from the boards for me.

Just had to throw all my eggs in one basket instead of spreading them out over multiple threads.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Right!
    Right? Duh?

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Very well said! I agree. The use of social media to promote this thing has been outstanding. February 7th can get here soon enough.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Wolfman, thank you for putting the thoughts of many into such a well composed post.

I would also like to add this to the mix if you don't mind.

VHLinks has been around a long time and some people go back to the start together. I have been here 8 years. While new blood is always welcome by the membership and fresh input can excite the discussions, it would be wise to remember that a comment put by someone you know can be seen in a different light to someone brand new. That's not being clique, that's just human nature. Irony and sarcasm especially can be detected in the posts of those who's thoughts you are used to reading.

This IS a family vibe site and whilst welcoming the new folks, we also have respect for those who stuck around when times were lean and downright frustrating. Those posters have contributed to keeping this place alive and supported Brett when I know he must have wanted to throw in the towel. We feel we have a personal input in the place and can be very protective of it.

So to all my fellow VH friends, please try to bear in mind Wolfman's comments and think a little about mine too. Whether you like what is going on or you don't, try and be patient and enjoy this place for what it is... a VH island in a sea of bullshit music today.

Thanks.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Wolfman is old school dude!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

No disrespect to old school.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Well said. Excellent posts!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.11.15 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

...AMEN Wolfman!...

It's funny this thing called life. Everybody goes through things that sometimes "just doesn't seem fair"...We've all been wronged, judged and sometimes s*#t happens...

I've been saying for years now, "What happened to the BAND I fell in love with"...Where did all the magic go. Sometimes life deals us all a "dud"...What ya gonna do about it?...Life goes on...It has to. People change, times change, s*#t the world has changed...

We've BEATEN this whole drama to death. Dave's out, Sammy's in, Sammy's out, Dave's back in, Mickey's out, Eddie's off the deep end, yada, yada, yada...We all have s*#t that happens in our lives. Who are we to judge. Even if we CLEAN OUR OWN CLOSETS, doesn't give us the right to judge others. We all will meet our maker one day. "He" will judge us then...

I'm sure each member of this band has made their fair share of mistakes. They've all contributed to the "dysfunction" that became a part of Van Halen. That's between all of them. None of this involves me personally. It's not and never will be my "cross to bear". I'm sure the "TRUTH" of all of this lies somewhere in the middle...

The funny thing happened on the way to heaven...Fast forward to 2012?...We hear rumblings about over BELOVED BAND in studio...The disappointments, the frustrations, the heartache and heartbreak, our wants and desires and let's throw in everybody's OPINION...YIKES!..

So we arrive in 2012, We get video documentary surprises, a surprise concert at Cafe Wha?, exclusives to VHND, VH Links, Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, hell we even got an acoustic video of "You Really Got Me". We've been SCREAMING at this band for years to "throw us a bone"...Well, "In this Life" did you ever think the "bones" we've gotten in the past month would ever see the light of day?...

It is one of the most beautiful things in life. To RECEIVE the "unexpected". Whatever or However this all has come to be, BE HAPPY IT HAS COME TO BE!...I for one am appreciative and grateful that I am alive and healthy in 2012 to witness all of this. It makes me feel 15 again. I've said it so many times. I will embrace this whole experience and take it to my damn grave.

It's MUSIC everyone!...Music from the BAND that BINDS US ALL!...God Bless the MIGHTY VAN HALEN!...GOD BLESS US ALL!...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kool, but ah... what's all this shit about old skool again?

()
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.