Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

Default CBS reports Joe Paterno has died

CBS Sports is reporting that former Penn State coach Joe Paterno has died Saturday at age 85 after experiencing health complications from lung cancer.

The 85-year-old Paterno has been in the hospital since Jan. 13 for observation for what his family had called minor complications from cancer treatments.

Paterno was diagnosed with cancer in November, days after getting ousted as head coach in the aftermath of the child sex abuse charges against former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

This was Paterno’s second time in the hospital in a month. He’s also recovering from a broken pelvis that required a weeklong stay to make it easier for cancer treatments. Paterno first hurt his pelvis in August when he was accidentally bowled over by a player in preseason practice.

The injury forced the Hall of Famer to spend most of the season coaching from the press box — until trustees dismissed him Nov. 9, four days after Sandusky was first charged.

Sandusky is out on bail and awaiting trial after denying the allegations. Paterno testified before a state grand jury investigating Sandusky, and authorities have said he is not a target of the probe.

But school trustees voted unanimously to oust him anyway — even though Paterno had announced that morning he would retire by the end of the season — in part because Paterno failed a moral responsibility to report an allegation made in 2002 against Sandusky to authorities outside the university.

Paterno testified he had relayed the allegation told to him by graduate assistant Mike McQueary to a superior, and the information was then passed on to another school administrator who oversaw the campus police department.

Paterno’s lawyer, Wick Sollers, on Thursday called the board’s comments self-serving and unsupported by the facts. Paterno fully reported what he knew to the people responsible for campus investigations, Sollers said.

“He did what he thought was right with the information he had at the time,” Sollers said.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

He's still alive, but from what I've been reading he probably won't make it through tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Way to jump the gun CBS.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Yeah....scanned the channels right after reading this. Nobody else reporting shit other than that his health took a downturn.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

apparently it started with the Penn State student paper who reported on their website that the football team had been notified of his passing

so the last official word was that he had been taken off a respirator and was still in serious condition

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Either way its going to be a rough end to a brilliant life.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

well Charles Osgood just announced it and if Charles Osgood says its true that is good enough for me

but I am kind of amazed that CBS would run with a story from a student website !!!!!!!!!!!!

'Onward' editor resigns after error

UPDATED JAN 21, 2012 11:19 PM ET

The managing editor of Penn State's student-run Onward State stood down Saturday night after the website incorrectly reported that the university's former football coach Joe Paterno had died.

The report, which cited sources, caused an online frenzy after CBS Sports ran with it — originally without crediting Onward State — before a family spokesman told The New York Times that the reports "were absolutely not true." Joe Paterno's sons Scott and Jay also took to Twitter to deny the reports, saying their father — who has been in the hospital since Jan. 13 — was in "serious condition" and "continuing to fight" in his battle against lung cancer.

The Onward State report said Penn State players had been notified of the legendary coach's death via email, but the website later tweeted an apology saying, "We were confident when we ran with it, and are still trying to figure out where our process failed. We apologize sincerely for error."

The managing editor, Devon Edwards, then released a statement saying he would be stepping down, effective immediately."I take full responsibility for the events that transpired tonight, and for the black mark upon the organization that I have caused," Edwards wrote.

"I never, in a million years, would have thought that Onward State would be cited by the national media, and today, I sincerely wish it never had been.

"To all those who read and passed along our reports, I sincerely apologize for misleading you. To the Penn State community and to the Paterno family most of all, I could not be more sorry for the emotional anguish I am sure we caused.

"There are no excuses for what we did. We all make mistakes, but it's impossible to brush off one of this magnitude. Right now, we deserve all of the criticism headed our way."

Paterno was diagnosed with cancer a week after he was fired on Nov. 9, amid the fallout from the child sex abuse case involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky has denied charges of sexually assaulting 10 boys over a 15-year period. Paterno is not accused of any criminal wrongdoing in the case.
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 01.22.12 at 07:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

His family has announced it, so he has passed.

Wow, what a bad final six months that guy had.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Its like a bad movie how this guys life ended. I think in hindsight he should have retired many seasons ago and enjoyed some free time and his family. Theres much to be said for going out on top and not rotting away.RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Its like a bad movie how this guys life ended. I think in hindsight he should have retired many seasons ago and enjoyed some free time and his family. Theres much to be said for going out on top and not rotting away.RIP
    ain't that the truth.....as the saying goes, "no man ever put on his gravestone 'I wish I had spent more time at the office'"

it's really too bad, an amazing legacy tarnished in such a way

ultimately I think Penn State will revise history and return him to his legendary status on campus, but what a thing to live with at the end of your life...and entire career defined by an incident where he passed the buck instead of taking action,

RIP

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I wrote this on my FB page. Sorry about the bold, can't get it to turn off.

OK...NOW he's dead. Once again, I hate to see anybody die from such a horrific disease as cancer. I saw what it did to my mom. But I'm torn on the whole Joe Paterno thing.

Is he a legendary coach?? No doubt. But that's where my conscience, morals and humanity, towards him end in all this.

IF all you "JoePa" revering, ass-kisser's don't like any blow back...BUT...if you can respect this as my opinion, you respect me as a friend.

I will not bestow any, ass-kissing, accolades upon him. Yes, he did his "legally required" duties reporting the molestation to Penn State admins, who also failed BUT...as a human being, a father/parent/role model, he failed those boys in so many, unimaginable, ways. He allowed his ego to save his precious football program, instead of taking extra step to save children from a "monster" in his midst. Eventually, everything comes out.

As a parent, you promise to move Heaven and Earth to keep monsters, imagined or real, from hurting your children. You should do the same thing for other children as well. I don't care who you are...my family, best friend, whatever. If I find out you're molesting kids, I WILL STOP YOU!!! You'd better pray the cops get to you first. By law, they'required to protect you. Because if I confront you, the only thing that will beat you to the hospital, will be the headlights of the ambulance you're in.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 6,688 Times in 3,708 Posts

i think you had plenty of time to post that. I'm a believer in keeping negative opinions of someone to yourself in the time soon after his/her death. Think that's kind of the classy thing to do. If you have nothing nice to say then silence might be the proper course of action.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i think you had plenty of time to post that. I'm a believer in keeping negative opinions of someone to yourself in the time soon after his/her death. Think that's kind of the classy thing to do. If you have nothing nice to say then silence might be the proper course of action.

Why not just come straight out and call me an asshole, for having this opinion, Mike. I'm a big boy. It won't be the first time, nor the last time.

That's why I included the part I did about the cancer. I don't wish it upon ANYBODY. I'm also not "happy" he died, or dancing on a still warm body. Which you seem to imply, in your weak-wristed, speak out both sides of your mouth, response.

I just refuse to heep accolades on a man that did more to save his repuation, and job, than he did to protect innocent kids.

Pot, meet Kettle.

You are a complete, and utter, hypocrite, Mike. In your post, you did the EXACT thing you suggested I not do. You just did so in a wishy-washy, round-about way. You do it in thread after thread around here. You blast people for negative opinions, and call them out, while being negative towards that person. Then you have the nerve to play the, "Don't say anything, if you don't have anything nice to say," card.

Get over yourself. Mod, or not. This self-righteous, indignant, facade you throw out there, when other's opinions don't coincide with yours, is growing old, and frankly, rather tiresome. That's the great thing about life, and this board. The free exchange of opinions. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. And I'll continue to have unpopular and popular opinions. It's just how life works.

I respect the job the Mods have around here. Matter of fact, I respect all the Mods, save one, around here. It can't be easy to stay as impartial as possible. But, You are the worst Mod, by far. You go out of your way to cause rifts with people. Especially somebody who's opinion isn't the same as yours.

You don't like what I have to say about JoePa's failure to protect children, and not kiss his ass. Fine, I can live with that. Shout his name in reverence all you want. His coaching accomplishments, to me, will ALWAYS be overshadowed by his moral failure to protect those kids, instead of his precious football program.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The way I see it, dead or not, this guy is going to bring out all sorts of stuff from people on both sides. This was a heated discussion when the story broke about everything at the school, and is certainly going to become heated again now. There are going to be opinions from all over the map, so let's try to be considerate of all of them, lest it be time to simply shut this thread up before it becomes a bonfire.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

Rest in peace Joe. One of the legendary coaches of college who will never be replaced. You were a great man both on and off the field. May the Lord console and bless your family and those who morn your death. You are now free to pace the sidelines in heaven.